G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rumble seat ride & priorities

+2
Tom77
Keith Seymore
6 posters

Go down

Rumble seat ride & priorities Empty Rumble seat ride & priorities

Post by knightfan26917 Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:47 am

Have you ridden in a rumble seat? I have not!
http://www.oldcarsstronghearts.com/2015/06/03/wednesday-wrap-20/

I do not need a 7-car garage anymore, but still would love to have this place, ya know, in case that changes again.
http://www.oldcarsstronghearts.com/2015/06/04/daily-dose-theory-thu-20/

B&W photo of Metro City, in the 1960s:
http://www.oldcarsstronghearts.com/2015/06/03/wednesday-ratio-20/

Cort Smile www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"Sometimes love comes and goes away" __ George Strait __ 'Marina Del Ray'
knightfan26917
knightfan26917
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Rumble seat ride & priorities Empty Re: Rumble seat ride & priorities

Post by dynchel Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:04 am

I've never ridden in a rumble seat, BUT....I've ridden on a tail board of a old fire truck more times than probably any firefighter alive today.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Seymore Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:03 am

knightfan26917 wrote:*
Have you ridden in a rumble seat?  I have not!

I haven't (...I don't think...) but in my defense it is because I am usually driving.

Rumble seat ride & priorities 100_1124

You get huge "old car bang for the buck" with these.  It was actually a little embarrasing;  I could be in a parade with some really nicely restored pickups and sedans, but I would see people craning their necks...looking...and then, in a burst of recognition say:  "...THERE IT IS!! THERE'S A RUMBLE SEAT CAR!!".

I drove it to work one time and an attractive young lady was very interested in how the rumble seat worked.  She wanted to climb up in there but was wearing a (somewhat) short skirt, so I tried to disuade her.  She was very insistent so I gave her a little boost and then stood back....

K
Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom77 Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:07 am

dynchel wrote:I've never ridden in a rumble seat, BUT....I've ridden on a tail board of a old fire truck more times than probably any firefighter alive today.

Oh I dont know about that one. First truck I served on was a 55 Ward Lafrance. Hard to beleave I am still here after some of those rides. My department covered I-55 in Illinois and many a night in below freezing temps rode the tail at 55 and up mph.

Also grandfather had a 28 Model a roadster. Road in the rumble seat many times. Not an easy task for a guy my size. LOL
Tom77
Tom77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:36 am

Keith Seymore wrote:

I haven't (...I don't think...) but in my defense it is because I am usually driving.

You get huge "old car bang for the buck" with these.  It was actually a little embarrasing;  I could be in a parade with some really nicely restored pickups and sedans, but I would see people craning their necks...looking...and then, in a burst of recognition say:  "...THERE IT IS!! THERE'S A RUMBLE SEAT CAR!!".

I drove it to work one time and an attractive young lady was very interested in how the rumble seat worked.  She wanted to climb up in there but was wearing a (somewhat) short skirt, so I tried to disuade her.  She was very insistent so I gave her a little boost and then stood back....

K

You did the right thing and something every gentleman would do in that situation.
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:04 am

Tom77 wrote:
dynchel wrote:I've never ridden in a rumble seat, BUT....I've ridden on a tail board of a old fire truck more times than probably any firefighter alive today.

Oh I dont know about that one. First truck I served on was a 55 Ward Lafrance. Hard to beleave I am still here after some of those rides. My department covered I-55 in Illinois and many a night in below freezing temps rode the tail at 55 and up mph.

Also grandfather had a 28 Model a roadster. Road in the rumble seat many times. Not an easy task for a guy my size. LOL
My dad had a '49 GMC fire engine for several years.  I rode on the tail board at freeway speeds several times (though not in the freezing cold)

Last edited by dynchel on Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:19 am

Hawk03 wrote:
Keith Seymore wrote:

"...THERE IT IS!! THERE'S A RUMBLE SEAT CAR!!".

K

You did the right thing and something every gentleman would do in that situation.

You can't stop them from making poor decisions.  All you can do is help them practice it repeatedly so they get it right.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:02 am

Rumble seat ride & priorities IMG_20150131_212548_zpsdcydeiqo
This was my dads toy from '89 until the early '00's. 1949 GMC "roadster" ie no top in Ohio.....what were they thinking?
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by knightfan26917 Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:57 am

Keith Seymore wrote:You get huge "old car bang for the buck" with these.  It was actually a little embarrasing;  I could be in a parade with some really nicely restored pickups and sedans, but I would see people craning their necks...looking...and then, in a burst of recognition say:  "...THERE IT IS!! THERE'S A RUMBLE SEAT CAR!!".

You undoubtedly did the correct thing, Keith. Just ... well, too bad you weren't able to snap some pictures. Ya know, you could've told her it was for "demonstration purposes" for ladies who want to sit back there in the future ... *devilish grin* lol

dynchel wrote:This was my dads toy from '89 until the early '00's.  1949 GMC "roadster"

That's an awesome toy!!!

Cort Smile www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"I've got this feeling that won't subside" __ Eric Carmen __ 'Hungry Eyes'
knightfan26917
knightfan26917
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content