G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ecu???

+6
moneypit73
jonny o
BlackChevelleSS
badbiscayne66
Limey SE
IndyG3
10 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

ecu??? - Page 5 Empty Re: ecu???

Post by jonny o Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:06 pm

Hell, my 3 inch pipes are straight through and exit before the rears... take a look at my off topic post, you might be able to see the new oval exits.
Anyway, it's all about being smart... sure it's loud when you stomp on it, (louder with only headers of course) but once you hit a constant speed, it's not that bad...
But yes, I do reach for the slap shifter and hit neutral when I pass cops just in case.

jonny o
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:26 pm

We just broke in a cam on a 351W powered lightning today, had open shorty headers, it was very loud at idle but at a constant 2500 for about 20 mins it wasnt too bad.

ecu??? - Page 5 SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by jonny o Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:15 am

Constant 2500? Is that the new method, or was it a roller setup? My ols skool greybeards told me to go from 2-2.5 back and forth revving it and letting it down. Something about changing how the oil is circulating...
Something I missed?

jonny o
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by novaderrik Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:32 am

BlackChevelleSS wrote:We just broke in a cam on a 351W powered lightning today, had open shorty headers, it was very loud at idle but at a constant 2500 for about 20 mins it wasnt too bad.
unless you had a flat tappet cam in that lightning, the only thing you did by doing that was to waste some gas. a roller cam requires no break in, and the rings should break in after loading the engine down and making it work hard a couple of times.

novaderrik
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:43 am

im not a moron, the cam is a hyd flat tappet. The reason for a constant 2500 is to flood the top end with oil to keep the springs, cam, and lifters with enough oil for break in and to keep them cool.
Ive done it this way every engine ive built that was flat tappet and never had a cam go flat.

ecu??? - Page 5 SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by MallyMal S-3 Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:05 pm

if i got a new larger air filter should i retune the carb a bit??

ecu??? - Page 5 Ipic_010
MallyMal S-3
MallyMal S-3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:06 pm

Yeah, and change your blinker fluid while you're at it. Razz
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by MallyMal S-3 Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:25 pm

id laugh and giggle along if i knew what and where that might be located Embarassed
MallyMal S-3
MallyMal S-3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:33 pm

Ok... go to this site.

http://www.geocities.com/changeyourblinkerfluid/index.html

You'll need to read all the instructions, I think there are 3 pages of them. Once you are done with that. MAKE SURE YOU READ THE DISCLAIMER. It won't make sense till you read the instructions.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by MallyMal S-3 Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:45 pm

haha wow im not that stupid. it sounded fishy but i dared to ask. good thing i didnt go home and get all frustrated cause i couldnt find the damn blinker fluid haha boy that would have been bad

ps. anyway have an extra beauty/trim ring for 15" gm rally wheels
MallyMal S-3
MallyMal S-3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jonny o Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:00 am

BlackChevelleSS wrote: The reason for a constant 2500 is to flood the top end with oil to keep the springs, cam, and lifters with enough oil for break in and to keep them cool.

Cool man... just trying to suck up other people's knowledge. Didn't mean anything disrespectful.

jonny o
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by MallyMal S-3 Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:38 pm

what kind of gains do you think i'll get out of my 400 small block with the new afterburner headers and 1.6 full roller rocker arms(if they even make a difference)???
MallyMal S-3
MallyMal S-3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by moneypit73 Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:23 pm

not much. might not feel anything out of the hole. maybe a little more midrange. 35 to 65 might seem a little peppyer. gearz man. gearz.
moneypit73
moneypit73
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by MallyMal S-3 Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:08 pm

really? i heard new full roller rockers of the same stock ratio gives on average 15 horses. then i also heard headers give a pretty nice gain also.
MallyMal S-3
MallyMal S-3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:49 pm

No you will most likly not notice any difference in power with the roller rockers.

ecu??? - Page 5 SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by moneypit73 Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:54 pm

they will on a rebuild, persay. one thing helps the other. cam an lifters help, but if the engine cant breathe, hedders come into play. then, if its a stock carb and intake, not enough air an fuel, so upgrades there. hand in hand. then you really notice a real difference. an extra 20 horse in a huge car like ours aint a whole lot. gearz brother, gearz. its all a puzzle. got to put the peices together one by one. my car stock 2 barrel ran 17.90s. gearz and a four barrel, stock q=jet outta the box, no tune,ran a full second an a half faster, no whoa nelly.rebuilt the motor with a 2500 stall, hedders, 2.5 ehaust good ign, 10.1 comp mild comps cam ran 15.2 breaking up in sec at 4000. got it tuned finally, rebuilt dist and recurved it, now a 2800 stall taking it to the track this weds, the 5th. hoping for mid 14s. mind you mines a buick 350 mild headwork, comps springs, no it dont rev like a chevy 350. well see. good luck bro
moneypit73
moneypit73
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jonny o Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:09 pm

I don't know guys... If he goes for 1.6 rockers (not talking about roller friction) its going to help the flat cam and small valves breath a little better. Combo that with some better velocity out of the grainy A$$ cast heads and he might actually make the thing flow.

My vote goes that you will "feel" a difference. I completely agree that horses to your big car mean nothing. It's fleet of horses that make it move. And yes, gears are the easiest way.

And by the way... don't give him crap for asking if he needs to retune after a bigger air filter... he's thinking about the right things and how one effects the other.

jonny o
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:35 pm

If someone doesn't give you crap once in a while, you'll turn into a little girl. Besides, it's all in good fun.

I'm out... Time to go change my muffler bearings.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:00 am

my pistons return springs are getting weak since im losing power

ecu??? - Page 5 SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by novaderrik Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:00 am

jonny o wrote:I don't know guys... If he goes for 1.6 rockers (not talking about roller friction) its going to help the flat cam and small valves breath a little better. Combo that with some better velocity out of the grainy A$$ cast heads and he might actually make the thing flow.

My vote goes that you will "feel" a difference. I completely agree that horses to your big car mean nothing. It's fleet of horses that make it move. And yes, gears are the easiest way.

And by the way... don't give him crap for asking if he needs to retune after a bigger air filter... he's thinking about the right things and how one effects the other.

those higher ratio rockers are also going to put more strain on the "flat" cam and valvesprings. the lifters might not like the extra force being applied, either.
depending on how worn everything is, he might get less rpm out of it and no power gain anywhere else.

and did we ever figure out if this car actually still has the stock 400 in it yet?

novaderrik
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by jonny o Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:13 am

5 hundo shot of nitrous.
Will run a good number and produce a great one wheel burnout.
Motor will remove itself for proper inspection to see if it's a 400.
We put all our scrap parts together and build this damn kid a real motor.

jonny o
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by moneypit73 Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:20 am

haahahhaaha oh, no really, ahahahahahahahaha man thats funny!!
moneypit73
moneypit73
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by MallyMal S-3 Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:07 pm

ok gears. so if i purchase or find 3.42 gears for my 8.5 10 bolt, dont i have to change the carrier or something like that???
MallyMal S-3
MallyMal S-3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:36 pm

If you don't change the carrier, you won't have positraction. I.E. you'll continue to have a one wheel wonder when taking off. If you're going to do a gear swap, you really want to buy a posi unit as well. I would personally recommend an Eaton.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by MallyMal S-3 Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:05 pm

Shocked damn..guess im gonna have to put that off for a bit if craigslist, ebay, or racingjunk doesnt come thru cause thats pretty expensive on top of gears and installation.
MallyMal S-3
MallyMal S-3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum: