G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

anybody remember lower rear quarter panel patches for '73-77 chevelles?

+3
Limey SE
Joe73
Hawk03
7 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

anybody remember lower rear quarter panel patches for '73-77 chevelles? Empty anybody remember lower rear quarter panel patches for '73-77 chevelles?

Post by fishhead Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:40 am

"I seem to recollect" from years ago that either Sherman and Associates or maybe OPGI offered lower rear quarter patch panels for '73-'77 chevelles to fix that common rust-out area behind the rear fender.I was thinking maybe that was found to be a bad idea because the filler would always crack or turn loose due to the physical stresses on that particular repair area? Maybe it was deemed a smarter and easier repair to replace the entire quarter panel so this item was discontinued? Any thoughts on this one? Anyone here old enough to remember that patch panel?

fishhead
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

anybody remember lower rear quarter panel patches for '73-77 chevelles? Empty Re: anybody remember lower rear quarter panel patches for '73-77 chevelles?

Post by Hawk03 Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:00 am

I remember them and ordered them from JC Whitney in 1996/1997, not sure who manufactured them. I ordered them but they sent me some for a wagon instead of a coupe. We ended up using roofing tin & bondo. Quick fix for a quarter that was half gone.
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

anybody remember lower rear quarter panel patches for '73-77 chevelles? Empty Re: anybody remember lower rear quarter panel patches for '73-77 chevelles?

Post by Joe73 Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:01 am

I've done patch panels on lower fenders and quarters on different cars. I weld it up nice, grind smooth, good coat of epoxy and then a skim of filler. Still see the cars today and after 20+ years they still look good.

I'd have no problem doing a patch panel as long its a quality piece. Same or heavier gauge steel than original is what I'd look for. I've had to reform the bottom edges of some fender patch panels years ago due to incorrect contour at the bottom. Nothing a little hammer and dolly cant fix.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by fishhead Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:28 pm

Thanks for the info.I wish those were still available,darn near impossible to find healthy donors in my area these days.It gripes me a tad when I think of those in the boneyards a few years ago that I foolishly let slip through my fingers.Dang it.

fishhead
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:47 pm

https://www.millsupply.com/auto-body-rust-repair-panels/chevrolet-cars/chevelle/73-77-chevy-chevelle-malibu/

anybody remember lower rear quarter panel patches for '73-77 chevelles? Chevelle.73
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:50 pm

http://www.ctcautoranch.com/Catalog/Chevelle-El%20Camino-Monte%20Carlo/Chevelle-El%20Camino-Monte%20Carlo%20Sub-Pages/Chevelle%20Quarter%20Panels.html

Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:57 pm

http://www.autobodyspecialt.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=0097
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by fishhead Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:57 pm

Much thanks for the posted links to vendors,I was aware of a couple of those and the prices are good.(Still pisses me off thinking about those patch panels being obsolete though). The truck freight on the quarter skins is so high I will probably be driving to Florida or Georgia and tossing one in my pickup if and when the time comes.

fishhead
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:48 am

I know I bought a lower fender patch panel when I redid my car. Those don't seem to be available anymore either. Rolling Eyes
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:55 am

Keep checking cl. A full 1/4 might come up and you can just use what uou need.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by fishhead Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:31 am

Yeppers,will do.Thanks.

fishhead
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 73guna Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:20 am

I know this is an old thread, but if you find a local Goodmark dealer/distributor there shouldnt be any shipping charges.
Thats what I did.
Just as an example, a local shop called bumper and auto.
They deal in body panels bumpers etc...
https://www.bumperauto.com/scripts/searchview.asp?year=73&make=CHEVY&model=CHEVELLE&CATEGORY=RUST+REPAIR+PANELS&B1=Search

https://www.bumperauto.com/

73guna
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down