G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are These Original Mirrors?

5 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

Are These Original Mirrors? Empty Are These Original Mirrors?

Post by sportster_restorer Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:13 pm

The driver's side mirror broke recently as noted below.

Are These Original Mirrors? <a href=Are These Original Mirrors? Mirror10" />

Here are pics of the passenger side mirror:

Are These Original Mirrors? Mirror11

And another:

Are These Original Mirrors? Mirror12

So are these factory mirrors for a 74 Laguna, or what are they?
Can they be easily replaced with the rally-style mirrors that I'm used to seeing on Lagunas?

sportster_restorer
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Are These Original Mirrors? Empty Re: Are These Original Mirrors?

Post by Joe73 Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:07 pm

I looked it up at the GM heritage center and it states that for the 73 laguna there was an extra charge for sport mirrors. But in 74 the S3 came standard with sport mirrors.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:37 pm

Sport  mirrors will fit in the same location as your current mirrors, you may have to drill another hole...depending on the spacing of the ones that are currently on there. The plastic gaskets for the sport mirrors are required as well. Your gaskets may not work with sport mirrors.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:11 pm

I'm going with what Joe stated...'74-'76 Lagunas came with sport mirrors. Raises the question as to why they would have been replaced?

As for replacing them with sport mirrors, you will also want to take note of any paint discoloration you might see under the chrome mirror bases because the sport mirror bases do not cover the exact same area.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:49 pm

And wouldnt tbe drivers one be a remote? So the drivers door panel, if original, would have tbe bezel hole for the remote.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:03 pm

Correct. I don't recall ever seeing a remote-operated chrome mirror on our "A" bodies. And, factory passenger side chrome mirrors seem to be extremely rare...if, provided at all.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:08 pm

Those look like old TRW replacement mirrors.  I have a round one on my Oldsmobile.  The part that really looks similar (to mine) is how the base attaches to the mirror head.  Mine is very good quality, all metal & came with a gasket. I found mine new in the box at a flea market.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:10 pm

My car was originally equipped with a chrome (non sport mirror) and no it was not remote control, I had to cut out the door panel & install the bezel.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by sportster_restorer Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:37 am

The driver's side door panel does have the hole for the remote control mirror. So I'm left wondering why the sport mirrors were replaced by these chrome mirrors. The dash does not have the mounting hole for the passenger remote mirror.

I did contact the previous owner recently and he said he didn't do much to the car. The owner before him was the original owner, and old fellow who had the car for something like 30 years and is now passed away. Although I obviously couldn't talk to the original owner, discussions with the subsequent owner led me to believe the original guy was pretty frugal. Perhaps the sport mirrors broke or something and he replaced these with something from a junk yard.

sportster_restorer
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by sportster_restorer Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:39 am

Anybody know where I might get a replacement for that chrome driver's side mirror?

sportster_restorer
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:05 am

http://m.ebay.com/itm/141509905386?nav=SEARCH
Here how about these?
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:23 pm

Personally, I would take this time to make that car correct and install a set of original sport mirrors.  Sure...you'll have to paint them but, you can get a rattle can of the factory white paint from a reputable auto paint supplier and the mtg holes will already be in the doors.  Besides, since you don't know where those mirrors came from, the chance of finding a driver side that matches the passenger side is slim to none.  And, most likely, a set of replacements will require yet another set of holes to be drilled in the doors to mount them.  You will need to confirm the holes drilled for the chrome mirrors aren't going to be outside the outline for the sport mirror bases...but, I seriously doubt they are.

I'd suggest removing the mirror and inspecting the surface in regard to the mtg holes as described...and, any paint discoloration issues that may need to be addressed; perhaps using some rubbing compound it needed to blend the paint under the base vs exterior surrounding it.

If you need help with sport mirrors, correct base spacers or dimensions, don't hesitate to ask.  I will also add that 95% of these cars had no RH remote mirror; thus, explaining why your dash doesn't have a spot for the operating knob.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by sportster_restorer Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:43 pm

I do have a set of the sport mirrors from my 75 Laguna (which I refer to as the organ donor). They are correct Laguna mirrors, but they're blue, well the parts that have paint are. I wanted just a quick fix to make the white Laguna a little more comfortable to drive. I agree the long term fix is to paint the 75 mirrors and install them.
If the unseasonable cold we're having finally leaves, I'll have to see about doing the 75 sport mirrors.

sportster_restorer
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by sportster_restorer Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:33 am

Mystery somewhat solved. These mirrors are CIPA 18000, a generic aftermarket mirror designed for 60s and 70s cars. About $12 on Amazon Prime, should have it on Saturday. The correct sport mirrors are the best solution, but replacing what's there will get me by for a while. At least until we get back to seasonal weather.

sportster_restorer
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down