G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Won my first race!

+5
thatfnthing
pila
bracketchev1221
ant7377
JB2wheeler
9 posters

Go down

Won my first race! Empty Won my first race!

Post by driveit Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:01 pm

So yesterday on the way home. I am driving and I hear this old air horn. I look to my left and it is a friend of mine who is driving a 73 flat black El Camino. I think he was running a 400 in it if I remember correctly. We end up stopping at the last red light heading out of town. I revved it up a little then dropped it in 1st. The light turned to green and I hammered on it. I spun all the way through first and part of the way through second. Even while spinning I was leaving him behind. As I hit third I could no longer see him beside me. At about 85 or so I let out of it and I was close to two car lengths in front of him. There was another light in the next small town that we had to drive through. He pulled up and said wow, what did you do that thing. I told him about the engine swap. I was pretty excited. I cruised on home about 45 or so after as I usually do.

When I was almost home I looked down at my temp gauge and it was at zero. I was scared. I pulled in the drive and shut it off quickly. I got out and immediately it started spewing steam out of the radiator overflow. ( I don't have a tank!) It looked like something exploded. I was freaking out. I had no idea what had happen. I found out that I had threw the fan belt. I had driven about 8 minutes without it and never even knew.

I let it cool and filled it back up. Put the belt back on and took it out for a drive. Everything seems to be fine. I hope it has not hurt anything. I am sure it was not good for it.

BUT I DID WIN!!! lol...
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Won my first race! Empty Re: Won my first race!

Post by JB2wheeler Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:48 pm

Shame on you for breaking the law and being unsafe. If you ever get up my way, I can tell you about the 100s of times I did the same thing, LOL. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:55 pm

I can't resist a "exhibition of speed" even if I'm out matched...ie I'm driving my dd crown Victoria.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:27 pm

lol. Do you guys think I have hurt anything on the motor?
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:41 pm

If there is no steam coming out of the exhaust you are fine. Keep an eye on it though but you are probably fine.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:40 am

Change the oil in case the oil got really hot. It may have started to break down. Look for any shiny particles in it.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:18 am

Take the cap off the radiator & let her idle & come up to temp normally, watch for bubbles-etc & make sure you have enough coolant in the system. You REALLY need an overflow tank. I'm surprised you didn't loose any coolant before now just driving around.

When the level is correct you will have coolant at the "Cold level" in the overflow tank and after a drive it s/b at the "Hot" level. The extra will flow back into the radiator as the engine cools.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:44 am

The coolant will circulate a little bit without the pump.  May old tractors, like the Farmall A didn't have water pumps at all, and "gravity" circulated the coolant.
 In the late 80s, on my way to work one morning, my '77 El Camino had a thermostat stick shut, and went to 260 degrees on the gauge before it opened.  Going down the x-way at the time, and don't know how long it ran that way before I noticed the gauge.  
 Anyway, that same engine is in my Malibu, with no apparent issues from the over-heat.
Like said above, just keep an eye on it when driving, and change that thermostat ! It may not work just right after the over-heat.
 You likely need the larger pulley on the alternator, in order to keep the belt on.  It works......

And, without an over-flow tank, you were losing coolant each time the engine got up to temp, and then cooled off. Each cycle puts coolant into the tank when hot, and back in the radiator when cooled down..

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:51 am

JB2wheeler wrote:Shame on you for breaking the law and being unsafe.

Don't listen to JB. I'll show you how to do 110 past the police station and get away with it. Very Happy
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:49 pm

lol. Thanks for the tips. I think I got a tank from Wally. I may try and put it on. I can't remember where it goes. Anyone got a pic? I was thinking about going with something like this later on.

38$ on Ebay.
2" x 15" Stainless Steel 22oz Radiator Overflow Tank Fits Chevy Ford Mopar V-8
Won my first race! $_57
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:02 pm

The tank is bolted on near the core support/battery tray area. Can't remember if it bolts to the fender or fender & tray. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out though.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:21 pm

It bolts to the inner fenderwell.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:30 pm

Do you think one of those stainless tanks would work for a windshield washer tank? I haven't been able to find a nice looking one.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:31 pm

driveit wrote:Do you think one of those stainless tanks would work for a windshield washer tank?  I haven't been able to find a nice looking one.
I don't see why not, a washer tank is not anything special, just a holding tank.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:44 pm

Do you think a 22 oz. is large enough for a coolant overflow tank?
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:54 pm

Should be OK, just needs somewhere to expand into & get sucked back as it cools.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:56 pm

k. Is there a noticeable difference between stainless, chrome and billet?
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:11 pm

Find the "Wally Tank" my $0.02. I'll measure how much the coolant reservoir tank holds- it's off the car. I'll post up results later.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:18 pm

driveit wrote:k.  Is there a noticeable difference between stainless, chrome and billet?
You mean besides how they look?
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:24 pm

[url=Won my first race! Img_1111]Won my first race! Img_1111[/url]

Yes I gave you the tank with the set up.

Sweet for you on the win. Glad to see you are not babying that thing. It has Iron heads so I don't think you did any damage. Those aluminum ones are a lot more temperamental than iron for over heating. You should install the "wally" bottle and check your fan belts when you check your oil more often. It would have been bad if he flew buy you for a "Fail" on your part my friend.HA

Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:51 pm

lol.  I smoked him.. lol..  I'll get that tank out of the shed and see if I can get it installed tomorrow.  Oh and yes I was just referring to the look of the different materials.

Belt didn't break, it just came off.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:13 pm

5-1/4 cups COLD (42 fl.oz) + 4-3/4 cups from COLD to HOT (38 fl. oz.)= 80 fl oz.

There are 128 fl. oz./gallon so that little Res Tank should hold a little more than 3/4 gallon when "Hot".
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:18 pm

driveit wrote:k.  Is there a noticeable difference between stainless, chrome and billet?
Chrome would be a mirror finish, stainless would likely be similar.  Billet is usually a dull greyish finish.  (But can be shiny also) just a matter of preference.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:09 pm

I have some chrome and some of the pieces like that tank are stainless. I was hoping that they would end up looking similar and not mismatched.

Thanks for checking on the tank size!
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down