G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BB vs SB motor mounts

+7
bracketchev1221
Trbulnc
BlackChevelleSS
bigredlaguna
Fishgrinder
Oldschool454
1973 454 MONTE
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

BB vs SB motor mounts - Page 2 Empty Re: BB vs SB motor mounts

Post by 74Malibu383 Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:47 pm

The BB I'll be using is a tall deck. Anyone have experience with that?
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Trbulnc Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:24 pm

Everything I have been looking and studying says my biggest concern is brake booster. They make smaller diameter boosters which I am 99% sure I will need. Obviously hood clearance also. I'm a little worried about my AC stuff but think I will be ok. I can always modify it, just glass work. I have an overlay at home showing short deck vs talk deck and dimensions. I'll find it for you.

Trbulnc
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:36 am

74Malibu383 wrote:The BB I'll be using is a tall deck. Anyone have experience with that?

That changes everything. I am assuming its a gm crate 572 that you are looking at. A tall deck is going to move the heads up and out more than a short deck. A tall deck is 10.2" compared to 9.8 for the short deck. Meaning headers will be a real pain. Also like was said this will bring tall valve covers closer to a brake booster and a/c box if you have them, but I don't remember if your car does. Finally standard accessory brackets will not work. The relation from the water pump and block to the head mounting holes are different. It has no impact on the block mount question though. If you have any big block engine questions let me know.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:35 am

Yup, ZZ572, should be here today. Got a great deal from a guy on another forum. He has a dyno sheet with it making 648hp at the crank, and never installed it. So, hopefully it will be everything it seems to be. I ordered up a serpentine accessory kit from ProCharger since I plan to put my head unit on this engine as well. I don't have the A/C box with the Vintage Air system, but I do of course have the stock style booster. Can I assume I'll need to step down to the smaller booster? I ordered some Hooker Competition headers in painted form. I figured I would have to modify them, and plan on getting them coated after I do.

I've read that there could be a difference between the block mounts in relationship to how high the block sits. Is that not the case?
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:27 am

The block mounting points are in the same place for both blocks, short or tall deck.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:48 pm

Not sure if this helps but here's a few pics of the motor mounts for my 75 SS el camino with 454 removed. Excuse the poor quality of the pics, I took them with an old cell phone. The motor mounts are different from the small block motor mounts. You'll notice the top of the mount has 2 holes where the bottom of the mount only has one. On the small block mounts there are 2 holes top and bottom.
BB vs SB motor mounts - Page 2 Motor_10
BB vs SB motor mounts - Page 2 Motor_11
BB vs SB motor mounts - Page 2 Motor_12
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:54 am

Those look like they're positioned just like my small block mounts on both of my frames sitting here. Also only 2 bolts on top and 1 on the bottom. Bottom front edge of the mount overhangs the frame a bit.

BB vs SB motor mounts - Page 2 Hv9xjc

BB vs SB motor mounts - Page 2 2f0d2f9
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:19 am

They look just like mine too, positioned with the 4th hole off the frame. I had to ask if that was right when we pulled the old motor (305) out a couple of years ago.
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:35 am

If I remember correctly, the bolt hole spacing on the mount is slightly different from either end. Just slightly.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:16 pm

I took some better pics of my factory big block mounts and compared them to the small block mounts I have for another project. Not sure if you can tell in the pics but the big block mounts are definitely bigger by about a half inch. They also have the bolt hole in the middle of the bottom side and rivets on each corner. The small block has the rivet in the middle and bolt holes on each corner of the bottom of the mount. The top of the mounts for both look the same. Here are the pics. Hope this helps.
BB vs SB motor mounts - Page 2 Motor_13
BB vs SB motor mounts - Page 2 Motor_14
BB vs SB motor mounts - Page 2 Motor_15
BB vs SB motor mounts - Page 2 Motor_16
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:46 pm

Thanks for all the photos. I guess I won't know till I get it torn apart. Planning on taking it down the track this Friday to see what numbers I can get with the current set up. After that, it's install time!
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2