G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Motor mount replacement

+2
bracketchev1221
Joe73
6 posters

Go down

Motor mount replacement Empty Motor mount replacement

Post by chevellelaguna Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:03 pm

Bought new motor mounts on the frame, any tips for replacing them?  Seem like a real pain to get to the nuts on the backside, grrr, don't have a 1/4-3/8 adapter at home to get the one bolt, 3/8 ratchet with a 9/16 socket doesn't fit thru the access hole. Have to grab my tools from work...they must have used a deep offset box wrench.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Motor mount replacement Empty Re: Motor mount replacement

Post by Joe73 Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:57 pm

Jack it up and secure it nice and high. Two people makes it go smoother. I always use the swivel sockets. But a swivel with a socket on it will work in a pinch. Access them through the lower control arm mounting holes. Have someone up top to loosen the nuts.
BTW. There is a listing for a set of heavy duty motor mounts. And I've also seen "police" motor mounts. Rockauto lists some from a company called DEA and its part number DEA A2292HD . The regular number is just A2292. Just FYI. I bought the HD model. They're really cheap either way.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:47 am

Yup, the swivel socket is your friend. Can't really say I have any tips. From whenever Gm decided to swap the solid and rubber mounts from engine to frame, it is a big pain in the butt. I think it was the 73 year. Anyway, through the control arm mount hole is generally the easiest. Some cars had a hole in the front of the frame you could get to some of the bolts through. I generally wind up throwing every tool I have at it until one works. But like was said, 2 people make it so much easier. You cant get good leverage on the ratchet and hold the other side sometimes. I have to do the mounts in mine and I plan on just using the poly inserts. I had the poly mounts in my Nova and it was fine.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:11 am

I wish I'd had this information when we did mine, it was two whole evenings and removing the lower control arms. Mind you we needed to replace the bushings and the shocks so not as big a deal.
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:11 pm

Got mine replaced, was a pain even with the motor out if the car! 9/16 short swivel socket, 1/4 drive extension, helps with air, still a pain to hold the nut in the backside, just raped the nut to the open ended wrench, and stuck it thru one of the frame access holes. Just hope that the cheapie $9.00 mounts last as long as the ones that were in there!
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:02 pm

Universal swivel w/ 9/16" socket for the bolt heads on the underside.  Regular 9/16" wrench topside.  I used "Flexible" extensions also. Like so-
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Duralast-2-pcs-flexible-extension-set/_/N-255s?itemIdentifier=914057_0_0_

IIRC- I used both of those together with a 3/8" to 1/4" reducer.  Had the 9/16" swivel in 1/4" to get up in there- the 3/8" drive universal might be too big.  If you hold it at the bottom & have a buddy "Break" the torque from up top & hold the nut while you turn- it will go faster.  

I did it by myself but the motor & the suspension is out of the car.  It will be a pain in the Arse with all that stuff in your way but doable.  Good luck.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:45 am

just did mine yesterday 2 hours time in between cutting up fire wood. mine were 8.00 at o-reillys.they were in stock, i just needed them done,could not wait for shipping.i debated the solid type,maybe if these blow out again.
Motor mount replacement Right10
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down