G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Indy Mecum

+5
chevellelaguna
Dinomyte
Joe73
jerry46765
driveit
9 posters

Go down

Indy Mecum Empty Indy Mecum

Post by Hawk03 Thu May 08, 2014 3:40 pm

Anyone going next week/weekend?

Custom 1973 El Camino will be auctioned on Friday.

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=SC0514-182991&entryRow=522&lottype=&startRow=521

Indy Mecum SC0514-182991_1
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Indy Mecum Empty Re: Indy Mecum

Post by driveit Thu May 08, 2014 3:47 pm

I would straight up drive that!
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu May 08, 2014 4:51 pm

Real interesting. I love the color. Not street legal though. Missing side marker lights. Every vehicle 1968 and newer must have side marker lights. There is also an issue with the rear bumper (missing).
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri May 09, 2014 1:29 am

Joe73 wrote:Real interesting.  I love the color.    There is also an issue with the rear bumper (missing).

Its a roll pan Like put on trucks, Illinois would be Legal ( except for side lights )
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Fri May 09, 2014 6:09 am

States can make tighter laws but not LESS restrictive than the goverment. Feds make.laws to.govern the country. Fed law states bumpers have to be to certain specs. Anotber good.point is when we remove our emmissions stuff under the hood. Might not matter in the state we live, but its a federal.crime.to modify, disable or remove ANY of our emissions. Its also a federal crime to sell a.car with tbose mods. Will someone get caught, maybe, maybe not.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jerry46765 Fri May 09, 2014 7:30 pm

Really, have you been to the DMV?  Their main concern is when they can go to lunch or go home.  It would not be federal law.  They might understand some state laws if you got the branch manager.  They couldn't find a VIN on a five year old Chevy truck, how would they know about marker lights?
jerry46765
jerry46765
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Fri May 09, 2014 7:53 pm

jerry46765 wrote:Really, have you been to the DMV?  Their main concern is when they can go to lunch or go home.  It would not be federal law.  They might understand some state laws if you got the branch manager.  They couldn't find a VIN on a five year old Chevy truck, how would they know about marker lights?

Exactly correct.  DMV only wants your cash.  Its law enforcement that would enforce Vehicle and Traffic Laws.

The goverment makes laws for safe vehicles in the country.  For example, 1964 all vehicles sold in the US must have reverse lights.  There was a certain year that all vehicles must have seat belts.  The mid 80's (84 or 86 if I remember correctly) all passenger vehicles must have a 3rd brake light.  1973 vehicles must have the 5mph bumper.  Mid 80's again, the reflective quality of tail lights had to exceed 700 ft. when parked with vehicle off.  Thats why you cant tint your tail lights or any lights for that matter.1975 all vehicles sold in the US must have a catalytic convertor.  That was an easy one, $500 and suspended registration.  Mustang guys were the easiest for that when the 5.0's came out.    1968 all vehicles must have marker lights.  And the list goes on.  There is a safety law for everything.  Imagine if we didnt have safety laws.  Guys would be running around with all kinds of stuff on their cars ie, excessive lighting blinding people, open pipes, etc.  

Its all for saftety and uniformity.  And none of the above stuff falls under state laws.  Its all federal laws.

Now for the enforcement part of it.  You just have to have bad luck and run into law enforcement that knows his stuff.  Its usually a guy who is into cars like me.  If I ran into a guy with a "problem" and he gave me a hard time.  I'd issue a few summonses and certain violations CAN suspend your registration or worst case, I'd take the car if its unsafe for the street.  
I've been trained in this stuff and have work with State inspectors from other states.  Those guys love this stuff as much as I do.

As for that el camino.  Just from looking at the pics.  We know it doesnt have side marker lights.  But it also doesnt have front blinkers.  And no reverse lights unless they are somehow incorporated into the L.E.D. bar.  And the LED bar for that matter, if it doesnt have a DOT (thats Federal Department of Transportation) stamp on it, then they too are illegal for street use in the United States.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Sat May 10, 2014 8:12 am

Nobody mentioned there's no door handles to get in, so driving it may not be an issue Very Happy

Most cars in design studios like GM's and others start out like that and they get modified to fit all the regulations that exist.  How many preproduction show cars have you seen with marker lights, license plate holders and the likes?  These are things that detract form the lines of any shape. . .
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Sat May 10, 2014 10:12 am

You guys make me want to sell my cars and start walking!
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sat May 10, 2014 1:31 pm

chevellelaguna wrote:You guys make me want to sell my cars and start walking!

LOL I know the feeling bossman, I know the feeling
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by El Road Mon May 12, 2014 2:39 pm

It looks awesome and I'm sure it will be driven. It will be interesting to see what it brings.

El Road
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom77 Tue May 13, 2014 7:43 am

Last time I checked brake lights were a law also but here in Indiana it seems only the third brake light is required.
Tom77
Tom77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Mon May 19, 2014 2:58 pm

The '73 El Camino didn't sell, the highest bid was $17,500. I would have thought that would have been enough to buy it.
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down