G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To save or not? 1973 Buick Gran Sport

+7
El Road
dynchel
Colonnade Mattie
JB2wheeler
Mcarlo77
driveit
Joe73
11 posters

Go down

To save or not? 1973 Buick Gran Sport Empty To save or not? 1973 Buick Gran Sport

Post by El Road Fri May 02, 2014 7:02 pm

I've got the opportunity to buy this for $400 to avoid it being crushed soon. Has front buckets out of another car, no steering column, no radiator, and no title. There is some rust in the floors and also one of the front hubs is gone. I should atleast be able to get a set of steel wheels for it, but probably with junk tires. I'm already getting some cars out of the lot including some other G3s. I'd hate to see this one get crushed, but would it be worth getting in parts or perhaps maybe a project?
To save or not? 1973 Buick Gran Sport Gs11

El Road
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

To save or not? 1973 Buick Gran Sport Empty Re: To save or not? 1973 Buick Gran Sport

Post by Joe73 Fri May 02, 2014 7:15 pm

I think the nose alone is worth that. Although it may take some time to sell it. Also, if the roof is not rusted through, someone might need it for a "graft" to their chevelle. I think more than $400 in parts if your willing to deal with it.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

To save or not? 1973 Buick Gran Sport Empty Re: To save or not? 1973 Buick Gran Sport

Post by driveit Fri May 02, 2014 7:27 pm

If I had the money I would probably buy every other g3 I came across. Sounds like a good deal to me.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri May 02, 2014 7:50 pm

I think if you're contemplating making money on parts, you may be disappointed.  I would say the most intact cars I see in the salvage yards (and, I mean cars that have been there for years) are probably the Buicks...followed by Cutlasses. Kind of shows the level of demand for parts.

I've been helping a couple guys over the past year with their restorations of a '74 & '76 Regal.  Mostly interior stuff.  Aside from them, I rarely hear from anybody working on these cars.

On the other hand, if you're buying several cars from this place, you must have room to store them.  I would think the $400 would be scrap value if nothing else (I'm guessing that's where this guy's price is coming from?).  Not sure if the Gran Sport had any unique trim that would be desireable?  A good dash would bring some nice money.  Floor console?  Maybe bucket seats if you can determine what they are from.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Fri May 02, 2014 8:25 pm

If you're thinking of restoring that Buick, it is one of the best cars ever made. I don't like the looks as well as the Chevy or Olds, but I believe the Buick is the best of the A Bodies. Restore it if it will be a labor of love and your time is not too valuable. Otherwise, you will never get the money out of it to pay your parts and labor. I hate to see good cars parted out, but Doris Day said it best, "Que Sera Sera". JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonnade Mattie Fri May 02, 2014 10:18 pm

It could be one of the 14 GS stage one 4 speed cars..but it's not..so crush it! Pull the grill out first
Colonnade Mattie
Colonnade Mattie
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Fri May 02, 2014 11:26 pm

The quarters are intact the body looks pretty good. Ive seen junkier cars back on the road. Id put 4 wheels on it and put it on ebay. I bet you cold get 600 for it maybe even a little more.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonnade Mattie Sat May 03, 2014 12:23 am

I'd take more pic of it..put it on craigslist for 500..sell it to someone right where it sits..then pay the man his 400. It's a win/win...you made 100 bucks and you saved her from the crusher.
Colonnade Mattie
Colonnade Mattie
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sat May 03, 2014 6:43 am

I think the tail lights are gran sport specific, so grab them if your not going to save it.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by El Road Sat May 03, 2014 8:45 pm

What turned into getting a few cars turned into 7 turned into 10 including this one. Definitely more time getting it all than I thought as well. Some other G3 stuff includes 77 Grand Prix bucket seat console car and 75 El Camino which I believe has buckets from something else. I also got a 75 Monte Carlo grill, Olds rally wheel, and Pontiac rally. At first I was drawing a blank on the grill, I got stuck on seeing the resemblance of the logo being a mix of Lincoln and Oldsmobile, but I knew it wasn't a Lincoln Oldsmobile or a Lincoln Mercury for that matter. Someone there said Desoto, but I knew it couldn't be from that either. I saw the bowtie on the inside and I was like oh duh. There's also a 75 Regal sedan out there, but it's pretty rough.

El Road
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sat May 03, 2014 9:51 pm

Good you saved it.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Sun May 04, 2014 10:37 pm

You must have one huge drive shed for all those . . . .
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by nicky73gs Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:13 am

El Road wrote:I've got the opportunity to buy this for $400 to avoid it being crushed soon. Has front buckets out of another car, no steering column, no radiator, and no title. There is some rust in the floors and also one of the front hubs is gone. I should atleast be able to get a set of steel wheels for it, but probably with junk tires. I'm already getting some cars out of the lot including some other G3s. I'd hate to see this one get crushed, but would it be worth getting in parts or perhaps maybe a project?
To save or not? 1973 Buick Gran Sport Gs11

Do you still have this car? I'm looking for my fathers 73 gs he sold around 1987 or 88. I tracked it to Detroit where it was last registered. I talked to the last registered owner and he said he sold the car with a bad engine which leads me to believe it was junked out. I was wondering where you are located and if you would check the vin number on this car. The vin on my Dad's car is 4D37K3H119834. I would be interested in buying this car even if it isn't my Dads old car if it is for sale.

nicky73gs
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:23 am

I believe we all know that these G3s will be mostly all gone in a few years, with many yards clearing out older cars. Then the prices for odds & ends for them will get crazy...

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down