G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

engine swap Chevy to ??

+2
bracketchev1221
Dinomyte
6 posters

Go down

engine swap Chevy to ?? Empty engine swap Chevy to ??

Post by thepossumface Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:14 pm

So I've had my feel with my 350 no more money into this thing, it be another 800 just to see what's wrong and not guarantee to be running, so im looking at new options I want my car to be different sense it's stripped down completely, I was thinking of doing a 351, 460, 381,440 do they make adaptors for any of these and what chassis can I relate my car to aka Camaro, elk, Monte,etc. Just food for thought.
thepossumface
thepossumface
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

engine swap Chevy to ?? Empty Re: engine swap Chevy to ??

Post by Joe73 Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:32 am

I wouldnt bother. The chevy 350 is the best all around engine. Its used in all types of equipment, boats, etc. You can build it for torque, hp, rpm's or anything. And parts are by far easier to get and usually cheaper. It also responds to upgrades really well. I'd take a look around on ebay and buy a complete kit to redo the engine. It'll run you less than 1000 bucks. And even cheaper if you reuse your crank. Real easy to get 350+ hp out of the engine.
Switching to other makes involves mounting issues, adapter plates, driveshaft mods. Chevy small blocks definitely make nice power on the cheap and can scream some nice rpms.
Just my thought. Save the headaches.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:20 am

I agree with Joe73. I started down the same road when I decided that the 305 just wan't cutting it. Not to mention it needed a valve job and a cam. I looked at all the options, including rebuilding the 305 (not an option) I opted to get a 350 from a friend's friend ($100) spent about $500 at the macine shop. Bored 30 over. crank polished 10 & 10. Got a kit from Northern Auto Parts.

http://www.northernautoparts.com/

with the Chevy LT1 cam I wanted, included all gaskets, seals timing gear, rings, pistons and more, was about $300, shipped. The come with 0/10/20/30 thou sized pistons / rings all at the same cost.

I found a used aluminum Edelbrock Performer intake for $50, got it blasted and clear coated.

Instead of dealing wiht the POS heads on the 4bolt truck block I bought kept my eyes open and got a pair of redone older race heads (cast iron) with new springs etc, stainless valves for about $500 which was less than having the ones I had reworked, never mind the springs and valves.

The kids wanted bling, so we got a chrome dress up kit, but not needed, reused alternator, water pump etc off the 305.

Re-used the q-jet I'd rebuilt the year before and away we went.

Not much more than $1400, but if you don't need the machine work then you're in that $1000 ball park.

Not to mentin I've got exactly what I wanted from the engine from the start.

Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:28 am

Just pull it and rebuild it. I just got a 350 4 bolt block, to build a 383 for mine. I was thinking about a 454 but decided against it.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:46 am

Stick with something by GM, anything. For ultra coolness go with a Chevy W engine. 348 or 409. They are getting hard to find, but aftermarket blocks are available now and at least one natiomaly known shop specializes in them. I also usually advise getting a crate engine. Two of the best choices are the 383 truck engine and the 454 HP, 454 Cube engine, both by GM Performance parts. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:48 am

I want a 383. If anyone one wants to donate one and have it shipped to me just pm me for my address. Smile
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:55 pm

Summit kit with pistons, 30 over for $237
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-sbckit1-033/overview/make/chevrolet/year/1976/model/laguna

Sealed power kit for $370
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fem-mhp134-332/overview/make/chevrolet/year/1976/model/laguna

And they have every configuration of undersizes and oversizes. Boil and bore the block, check and polish the crank. An intake and carb or maybe some headwork and your good to go.

Very reasonable to build a small block chevy for some nice power.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by thepossumface Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:55 pm

Yeah true , but im a Ford guy, and I've had one prob after another with this engine, and getting to the point to I'm not throwing anymore money at all, but buying a new crate motor is off the list, and on top of having to rewire, and so forth, it was just an idea but the more i think of it the more id rather let it just sit lol dumped 2500 into it and it's a mess lol
thepossumface
thepossumface
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down