G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Track Width

2 posters

Go down

Track Width Empty Track Width

Post by 76er Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:46 am

Can anyone tell me how wide how wide front suspension is on 76 chevelle side to side where the wheel mounts onto the brake rotor? Thanks for any info that would help.

76er
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Track Width Empty Re: Track Width

Post by switchbiker Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:34 am

No, but making many assumptions about the ideal measurement circumstance (wheels straight forward, zero camber, zero toe, true to spec body measurements) you can look on page 41 here: http://www.gmheritagecenter.com/docs/gm-heritage-archive/vehicle-information-kits/Chevelle/1975-Chevrolet-Chevelle.pdf they list the maximum front fender width at 77.3", now, with the wheel straight and a straight edge against the rotor mounting surface, measure from the outside edge of the fender to the straight edge. Check both sides, add together then subtract from 77.3". This will give you a generally correct hub-hub width. Easy..

if you want the width at ride heigh you will need to have the suspension loaded, to do that with the wheels off, support the weight of the car by placing blocks under the ball joints then lower your jack until the full weight of the car is resting on its suspension. Because the suspension travels through an arc the width measurement will change as the suspension moves through this arc.

if you want a very exact measurement you will need to have the car level, using a 2 plumb bobs hanging from the wheel mounting surface physically measure the distance between them point to point then subtract the measurement for the string thickness hanging the plumb bob (1/2 for each side)

Your question isn't all that easy to answer because of suspension geometry, the values will change slightly as the suspension moves through it cycle. what you will end up with is minimum and maximum measurements which you can then average. But still, one can't put an exact number to answer your question.
switchbiker
switchbiker
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Track Width Empty Track Width

Post by 76er Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:46 am

Well actually I don't have a car to measure. I have a 56 chevy pickup that I want to put modern suspension on, a friend of mine has a chassis that he will let me cut the front part off to weld on to the front of chassis on my truck but it doesn't have the rotors so I have no basis for measurement to know if it's to wide for my truck and just thought someone on this forum may have the answer.
Thanks

76er
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Track Width Empty Re: Track Width

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down