G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another classic dies

+8
BlackChevelleSS
Hydro King
orange Juiced
IndyG3
corvette_jeff
McCauley5983
Blonde Angel
Limey SE
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Another classic dies - Page 2 Empty Re: Another classic dies

Post by JasonZ Mon May 18, 2009 10:14 pm

ok good getting progress here Thanks.

So there is a car for sale How do I approach it? Since going on the property is illegal?

Again I live in the county. Out here country people trust each other. You can come up here see a car and stop up to the door and ask. If its for sale I have not had a problem like that before. This was my first city encounter.

rago I did read that sorry. But What happens if there is no name on the mailbox? just address?
JasonZ
JasonZ
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon May 18, 2009 10:26 pm

send it to 57 chevy owner at that address it has there address so it has to be delivered, per federal law. Thats why every once in awhile i still after 15 months of living at this address i still get the previous tenant's mail. BY LAW they have to leave it at there last known address no matter if the mail person knows who lives there or not.

1957 Chevy owner
1234 Jackson street
Anytown, USA

is how i would address that envelope they have to deliver it, then just put your apology in there and say you were sorry for blah blah blah you get the idea

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by JasonZ Mon May 18, 2009 10:37 pm

There is no law or anything I could be sued for stalking or anything even for a apology letter?

Realistically I'm looking for legal advice.
JasonZ
JasonZ
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue May 19, 2009 12:08 am

well i am outta this one then

I LEARNED A LONG TIME AGO NEVER OFFER LEGAL ADVICE.......just an opinion and i stated that part. DO NOT HAND write is all i can say. Just put in there is .................what i would write and this is no way legal advice so DO NOT constrew it as such !!! =====>> I am sorry for making think i was up to no good when in reality i have seen your old car sit there for a long time and just wanted to see if it was indeed for sale. If it is i would like to come over and talk to you about it. If not please accept my apologies for upsetting you or....................... ( whatever / how ever she acted I wasnt there) all my intent was to see if the car in question was sale My sincere thanks INSERT YOUR NAME HERE

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Blonde Angel Tue May 19, 2009 11:56 am

Limey aka Maligoon wrote:if i was interested in a car i would leave a note on the front door where they are sure to see it, MAKE SURE it has your full name, address, phone number and if that didnt work write there address and name down from there mailbox and send a certified letter to them that way you know they have recieved it. and if no answer you know they do not want to sell. and third what a guy told me about a 69 chevelle i chased down for 10 years when you see it in the front yard with a for sale sign in it you will know it is indeed for sale ...............THATS ALL

I agree with this approach!
Blonde Angel
Blonde Angel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by McCauley5983 Tue May 19, 2009 7:24 pm

man i went tracking down three late 50,s model amc rambler americans out in the arizona desert around kingman. spent 3 hours out in 115 degree weather and finally found emhiding behind a trailer and behind a 12 fott high chain link fence. i was with my dad and he decided to honk the horn (several times) a lady came out mad as hell and replied (we usually greet people like that with a couple of shotgun blasts) i thought it was funny and after she heard our intentions and why we were there she turned out to be a fairly nice women. she told us that the cars belonged to her husband and that he was interested in selling em. There are no for sale signs on these cars and these people didnt have a computer or time to post a classified add. we went back 2 days later gave the guy 1500 dollars got em delivered by him 30 miles for free and got 2 parts cars and a running 1958 rambler american (2 door, flathead 6 ,and an hydromatic transmission)

the cars great and was worth the work to get it. people arent always goinig to post for sale adds because they think its a waste of time and nobody would ever be interested in their junk. But my theory is "one mans junk is another mans treasure" if people know your interested they will most likely sell there old car for relatively cheap. my brother found a 70 bug by knocking on a strangers door and ended up getting it for $150.00
left our number because they had a 1963 rambler american they werent sure about selling. 6 months later got a call and they gave the car to us because it was a hassle for them.

all im saying is that if your polite about stuff dont lie to people and make freinds with them in about 15 minutes the car will usually end up in your driveway
McCauley5983
McCauley5983
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by corvette_jeff Tue May 19, 2009 11:51 pm

jason, was this your first time asking about a car?

theres certain ways you do it,

Firts, you NEVER go on someones property unless invited!

Two, honk first to see if someones home.

Three, honk again.

Four, when they come out calmley step out of your vehicle and start with small talk(like how ya' doin) then ask them if its for sale, if they say no say thank you then leave.

Five, if it for sale ask to go see it, if you do just go into their yard and look at it or even go to the door they do have the right to shoot you if they feel threatened, i woulda' pulled a shotgun on ya' if i saw you in my yard!

Trust me iv'e done it millions of times.
corvette_jeff
corvette_jeff
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by JasonZ Wed May 20, 2009 1:56 am

YIKES has the world became very violent. I'm gonna shoot you because I can.

So Jeff where are you doing all this honking? You could have the cops called on you for public disturbance/ blocking the roadway. They ought to not make front doors or Welcome pads for houses because its going to be a blood bath. I dont understand why people must pull a gun out to be the first thing. My my have people gone mad?

Jeff So you would pull a shotgun on someone for going up to you house knocking on the door innocently. BOOM! you down!! And you do your victory dance. Is that what you would do? If so maybe Obama should be taking guns away from everybody if people are thinking like this and lacking common sense. Its absolute absurd.
JasonZ
JasonZ
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Wed May 20, 2009 2:04 am

This thread:

http://redstick.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/trainwreck2.jpg

Rolling Eyes
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by orange Juiced Wed May 20, 2009 2:17 am

this is the reason why i hate going and asking if the car is for sale...I've been eyeballing this one house for about 3 years that has a 58 Impala in the front yard and a 75 Caprice Convertible in the car port. No one ever seems to be there when I pass by.
orange Juiced
orange Juiced
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Wed May 20, 2009 9:23 am

orange Juiced wrote:this is the reason why i hate going and asking if the car is for sale...I've been eyeballing this one house for about 3 years that has a 58 Impala in the front yard and a 75 Caprice Convertible in the car port. No one ever seems to be there when I pass by.

Man 58s are sweeeeet! I know where 9 of them are sitting. 348s, triple dueces, 4 speeds, you name it. They all need restored, some are 4 doors with no options, just a good mix of everything. After checking them out for a while I saw a for sale sign. The sign was for a boat he had, but I used it to get his number for the Imps. After talking to him on the phone, I went over to the house & got to check them out. Oh sure they are for sale too, but he wants something like $60,000 for them - no separating. That means on top of paying a super high price for cars that need restored, I'd have to find 9 more places to put these cars. The good news is you could easily build 3 good fully loaded ones & made a good turn around on your money with parts to spare.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by Hydro King Wed May 20, 2009 10:49 am

Jason you need a little cheese with your whine..
Hydro King
Hydro King
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Wed May 20, 2009 11:17 am

I love 58s as well, they are sweeeeet Very Happy

Another classic dies - Page 2 SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by JasonZ Wed May 20, 2009 3:32 pm

Hydro King wrote:Jason you need a little cheese with your whine..

I wanted that car sob sob sob.
JasonZ
JasonZ
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Wed May 20, 2009 6:49 pm

I know we're getting off topic somewhat but oh well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sPHctBjmHo&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fkathyschrock%2Enet%2Fgraffiti%2Fimpala%2Ehtm&feature=player_embedded

Less than $325.00???!!!
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Wed May 20, 2009 9:25 pm

Around here if you go and knock on somebody/s door and they even cuss you out, you go straight to jail. They just passed, or are trying to pass, a decent law that if someone forcably enters your locked house you can shoot them. The law for many many years has been that if someone breaks in your locked house thru the front door, regardless of circumstances, and you can run out the back door to get away then you can NOT shoot them. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by ' HARRY ' Thu May 21, 2009 4:18 am

Wink Here in Texas, it is legal to shoot a person if you feel your life or your property are in danger...... Or if your neighbour's life or property are in danger. So its best to keep that in mind when inquiring about cars or trucks parked on someone else's property.

Regarding inquiring about cars that have no 'for sale' sign on them and no one being home...... I have found that leaving a short note with your name and phone number as Limey suggested is the best way to go. In 1978, I was in the service and my '65 GTO convertible was tee-boned and totalled (passenger side) in the base parking lot. My car was a rust bucket with a frame so bad that it was really structurally unsound. But the car had a low mileage (12,000 mile) 1974 Pontiac 400 engine and a good 4-speed Muncie transmission. So I pulled everything I thought I could re-use at the auto hobby shop on base and sold what was left to a wrecking yard......

Another classic dies - Page 2 HarryCar12

I lived aboard ship and when we were in port, I would walk through the base parking lot and the auto hobby shop and any car that I thought I could afford and that I thought I could swap the Pontiac engine into...... I left a 3" X 5" card under the driver's side windshield wiper with my name, rank, ship, division and the phone number of our outside line in my shop. Did this for 3 months. No calls. Finally, a guy who was getting short called. He had bought a car from another guy who was himself getting short and had never found the time and money to fix it up. Did I want to take a look at it? Sure.

So I met him at the auto hobby shop. The car was a straight, rust free 1956 Chevy 210 2dr sedan. Hadn't run in years. Clear California title. Base sticker on the front bumper (a plus, as we didn't have money for liability insurance so we would buy either a car or a front bumper that had a base sticker in those days to get around that). Original black paint, decent interiour, 327 engine with some speed goodies, #3 rod hanging out the side of the busted engine block, no carb nor battery, a B&M 4-speed hydramatic racing tranny in unknown condition, original 4.11 rear end with a twisted right axle shaft. Bought it on the spot for $175.00 cash.

After pulling and selling everything that was busted and / or not something I could re-use, I had made back the purchase price plus a few bucks. So at that point, I began building up the big Poncho engine and swapped it and the Muncie 4-speed into the Chevy along with a new McLeod 11" clutch......

Another classic dies - Page 2 HarryCar16

Backed it up with a 12-bolt posi rear from a '69 SS 396 Camaro. The suspension and brakes were like new, so I left those alone except for adding a front sway bar from a Trans Am Firebird, a rear sway bar from a Chrysler Cordoba, new radial tuned gas shocks and I bolted on the new power brake booster and master cylinder I had salvaged from my GTO. Found a set of rare Chevelle 15" X 7" chrome rally wheels at a swap meet and bought a set of new G60-15" radial tires for them.

Another classic dies - Page 2 HarryCar14

Another classic dies - Page 2 HarryCar15

The '56 Chevy evolved over time. This is how it looked when I first got it running with the '74 400 Pontiac engine, '69 428 cop car heads and Q-jet intake and a Sig Erson cam......

Another classic dies - Page 2 HarryCar13

Another classic dies - Page 2 HarryCar17

And in 1979 running a '66 cast-iron tri-power intake with AAR Cuda Holley carbs I fitted using an aluminum plate I drilled and tapped to mount them. Also installed a custom built crossflow desert cooler radiator and fan shrouding to keep her running cool......

Another classic dies - Page 2 HarryCar18

Happy Motoring,

Harry
' HARRY '
' HARRY '
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content