G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

need wiring help

3 posters

Go down

need wiring help Empty need wiring help

Post by thepossumface Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:31 am

so here it is unplugged my HEI to fix a issue went to grab a wrench and the + side touched the intake and burnt the wires, im getting power but not enough the fuses are at 0.09 of power, tracked it down to the back of the fuse box were the MC is ( engine bay side) so its not getting power to the other side of the box, what should i do? new fuse box? new wire harness? easier the better
thepossumface
thepossumface
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

need wiring help Empty Re: need wiring help

Post by pila Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:07 am

Check the fusible links down by the starter. One of them feeds all the power except for starting.  The one in the #10 large red wire is the one to check, by pulling on it to find out if it's blown internally.
For reference, the small purple wire is for the start solenoid.  The one you need to check is on the same large terminal as the battery cable.
 Let us know what you find out, for more help.....

And....remove the ground cable from the battery next time you work on electrical parts & systems...................

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:56 am

thepossumface wrote:so here it is unplugged my HEI to fix a issue went to grab a wrench and the + side touched the intake and burnt the wires, im getting power but not enough the fuses are at 0.09 of power, tracked it down to the back of the fuse box were the MC is ( engine bay side) so its not getting power to the other side of the box, what should i do? new fuse box? new wire harness? easier the better

Pila's right, the fusible link(s) should have sacrificed themselves (since that's their purpose), so start there. However, keep in mind that the connector below the MC is not the back of the fuse panel -- it's simply a bulkhead connector. The fuse panel simply mounts over the top of it on the cabin side. If you remove the screws holding the fuse panel, you'll see that only some of the wires go to the fuse panel, while most of them actually go off elsewhere. If the problem is not the FL's, you'll need to unbolt the fuse panel and start checking these wires as well.

Get your wiring diagram out and start working backward from the HEI connector until you find 12v again. You will probably also want to test at the ignition switch itself in case it got roasted -- IIRC the distributor was not a fused circuit.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by thepossumface Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:33 am

yeah that fused saved me it was 1/2 of a inch from the box thank god it didnt destroy it
thepossumface
thepossumface
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down