G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to build an awesome handling suspension?

+9
74Malibu383
Oldschool454
Limey SE
Bruisr
DoctorLarry
pila
Cale11
LSANTI76
JB2wheeler
13 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

How to build an awesome handling suspension? - Page 2 Empty Re: How to build an awesome handling suspension?

Post by driveit Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:44 am

Making a few more plans for suspension down the road. I am trying to decide what I need to get as far control arms for the rear. I just want sporty daily driver for the most part. I want it too feel like it could hang with a new Camaro or something on the road whether it could or not. lol.

What are your recommendations for this, solid or adjustable upper and lower. I am going to try for sure to find some kind of braket or make one so that I can use the coilovers on the rear too. It will be a long while before I can do any of this. I am mostly just killing time and making plans. (trying not to fall a sleep at work while it is slow)
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

How to build an awesome handling suspension? - Page 2 Empty Re: How to build an awesome handling suspension?

Post by Limey SE Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:58 pm

solid lowers and adjustable uppers from what I have been reading up on but mine are both boxed so to late to do different, maybe if I switch rears I will go to Adjustable uppers.
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:28 am

I just installed adjustable uppers this past Monday, now I just have to test & tune to find the best setting.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:40 am

dynchel wrote:I just installed adjustable uppers this past Monday, now I just have to test & tune to find the best setting.
What does the adjustment actually do?
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:51 am

Changes the pinion angle.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:53 am

dynchel wrote:Changes the pinion angle.
So what exactly will that do as far as for driving?
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:55 am

Usually other mods (like ride height) change the angle.  This is how you correct it.  I'm trying to stop wheel hop.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:04 pm

dynchel wrote: I'm trying to stop wheel hop.

Try taking your foot out of it. Smile
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:06 pm

Wheres the fun in that?
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:12 pm

lol. So lowered ride height would most likely require an adjustable upper to correct the change of angle caused by lowering?
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:14 pm

Correct.  It (the pinion) would need to be lowered.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:32 pm

I am starting to understand now. I love this forum!
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldschool454 Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:53 pm

dynchel wrote:Usually other mods (like ride height) change the angle.  This is how you correct it.  I'm trying to stop wheel hop.
I have the same problem with wheel hop. With my street tires on it's no problem (275/60/15). I can burn the tires without touching the brake and as they slow down they catch the pavement just fine every time. But when I have my stock car slicks on (27.5x12x15) I learned quickly to be careful with burnouts or not do them at all. They shred easily enough but as they slow down and catch the pavement the whole rear end hops violently like it's trying to grab. I even vibrated the rubber vaccum line off my tranny shift solenoid once and thought I busted the rear end or tranny. lol! I have the stock 4 link arms and bushings in there still as I don't have the $ yet to get a decent pair of boxed arms. But my car is lowered 2" in the rear and about 5" in front. I suppose that might jack up my pinion angle wouldn't it? lol, I've never messed with pinions before so I'm learning all this for the first time reading it too. Thanks for all the info!
Oldschool454
Oldschool454
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:01 pm

Until this I had not even though about lowering the car changing the angle like that.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:00 pm

Oldschool454 wrote:
dynchel wrote:Usually other mods (like ride height) change the angle.  This is how you correct it.  I'm trying to stop wheel hop.
I have the same problem with wheel hop. With my street tires on it's no problem (275/60/15). I can burn the tires without touching the brake and as they slow down they catch the pavement just fine every time. But when I have my stock car slicks on (27.5x12x15) I learned quickly to be careful with burnouts or not do them at all. They shred easily enough but as they slow down and catch the pavement the whole rear end hops violently like it's trying to grab. I even vibrated the rubber vaccum line off my tranny shift solenoid once and thought I busted the rear end or tranny. lol! I have the stock 4 link arms and bushings in there still as I don't have the $ yet to get a decent pair of boxed arms. But my car is lowered 2" in the rear and about 5" in front. I suppose that might jack up my pinion angle wouldn't it? lol, I've never messed with pinions before so I'm learning all this for the first time reading it too. Thanks for all the info!

As much as you have lowered the car, you should definitely grab a set of upper adjustable arms. I can tell you that mine never wheel hops regardless of slicks, drag radials, or standard tires are on the back.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:06 pm

I am at stock height & it hops, I'm trying to find the sweet spot where it doesn't.   I've read  Hopstop bars work, but they skip our generation... Wtf you can get them for '64/72 & '78/'88.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:07 pm

I gotta say, I'm kind of surprised at the wheel hop issue. Over the years I've had my car high, low, and in between, and I've been through numerous tire/wheel combinations (except slicks), and I've never experienced any wheel hop in any case. Did I just get lucky, or are the Monte's different somehow?
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:52 pm

Chris  (73454monte) says he never had a problem either.   My problem started with the installation of the locker in the rear end.  No hop with the open rear, hopped like the easter bunny on acid after the install..... I have it improved greatly, but its still there.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:52 pm

What kind of power are you putting out of your engine dynchel?
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:53 pm

Not a whole lot maybe around 300 h/p
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:24 pm

I was picturing a lot more from what you were describing. Maybe your pushing like 400 and just don't know it!
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:04 pm

Doubtful,  its a pretty mild combo.  Picked for torque & acceleration.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:06 pm

dynchel, you might want to look into adjusting your control arms according to instant center. It might be what your car needs to control the hop.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:16 am

I have relocation brackets with the lower arms in the lowest setting (like a lift bar) I believe that does the same thing.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:17 pm

Talked to Global West today. They are in the process of getting a bolt in rear QA1 double or single adjustable as well as a viking coilover shock that will be a direct bolt in with basically no mods for the rear of a 73-77 GM A-Body car. I have to give thanks to Later-A-body from Pro-Touring.com for lending them his frame for mock ups. He was the one with the awesome 73 Grand Am. I hope they can get a body down there soon for the final measurements. They were worried about some clearance issues on the rear and needed a body on frame measurement to make sure there were no issues remaining. Thanks to all who are involved with making more parts available for this awesome and often forgotten generation.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next