G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exhaust Ideas?

5 posters

Go down

Exhaust Ideas?  Empty Exhaust Ideas?

Post by Bruisr Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:37 pm

I gave the wife my 2 chamber flowmasters to put on her truck, now I need to redo the exhaust sytem on my elco. Its a stock 454 with an ISKY 262 cam, basically stock, with headers. I am gonna experiment with 2.5 in. pipe running duals. My plan is to 45 from the header to the outside of car and 45 into 2.5 in. or 3 in. straight pipe down the side of the car.(like Sidepipes) NO mufflers or baffles, just open pipe. It's an "experiment" I'm curious as to how it will sound, and look. If I'm happy I'll leave it alone, if not I'll try something different. I always liked sidepipes, but didn't like the louvered sheilds that were used with them, plus I'm not a fan of chrome, so They will be black pipes. Any suggestions or comments?
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Exhaust Ideas?  Empty Re: Exhaust Ideas?

Post by Limey SE Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:25 am

I like the Pypes Xpipe kits and they are relatively inexspensive 2.5" one I got last year was only 145 and had everything But Muffler's and turndowns

Exhaust Ideas?  5dd99563
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:33 am

I have the chrome louvered side pipes you mentioned. One thing I will tell you it tends to be very loud under acceleration since the out let is like 3 feet from your head. It does make for a cool look though. Just my experience happy bowtie also don't put a bare leg against them! What a Face
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:36 pm

I don't mind loud. I drove around for years with a cammed up 350 with headers and 2 chamber flowmasters, that dumped under the front seats. Loud is good! Cops are pretty easy going here, hek I used to run open headers for awhile. When I'd see a cop I would coast in neutral until he or I passed. My main concern is ground clearance. I'm gonna try and make my own oval pipe, going under frame rail to bring to outside of body. Need to go pick up some 3 in. pipe. I might run 2.5 in pipe then place 3 in pipe over that to make the sidepipe. Gonna do alot of experimenting until I get the sound I want!
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:38 pm

Could you post a pic of the side, bottom half of your car showing the pipes? I don't plan to install the louvered sheild, so I'm sure its gonna get really hot. O'WELL, it'll keep the kids and wife away from the car! LOL!
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:00 pm

Bruisr wrote:Could you post a pic of the side, bottom half of your car showing the pipes? I don't plan to install the louvered sheild, so I'm sure its gonna get really hot. O'WELL, it'll keep the kids and wife away from the car! LOL!

Exhaust Ideas?  Photobucket-75802-1351336534110_zpse91e08a6

Exhaust Ideas?  2012-08-13_12-29-51_627
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:24 pm

Is there a muffler at all on it now?
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:38 pm

driveit wrote:Is there a muffler at all on it now?

I had these same pipes and they are the Mufflers ( if you wanna call them that )
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:56 pm

driveit wrote:Is there a muffler at all on it now?
The whole area behind the heat shield is a long glass pack muffler. Note these are dynomax brand side pipes 2 1/2 inch pipes with 3 inch outlets.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:44 am

IC. Thanks.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:24 pm

When I setup the pipes I'm gonna try to get them as high as a I can. I want as much ground clearence as I can get. I know that is an oxy-moron, But I'm gonna do it! I'm even contemplating fenderwell headers. For too many years I wanted this, and nothing wll stop me now! Limey, thanks for the pics of Dynchel's car. I'll try to remember to get pics.
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:42 pm

I did some mocking up of the sidepipes today, In order to get the most ground clearence, the pipes will need to sit as tight to the bottom of the body as possible. This creates a major problem. The frame of the car actually extends below the body sheetmetal. Here are a couple solutions:
1. Pay someone to bend the pipe in such a way to go under the frame, but then rise up to lower body level, then immediatley turn into a 45 degree bend.
2. Lower sidepipes, and forget about having a lowered stance!
3. C- section frame where pipe intersects frame and insert pipe into c-section.
I would commit to this idea once I know I'll like the sound. I've also decided to go with 2.5 in. pipe instead of 3 in. I think the 3 in. pipe is a bit much and protrudes out from side of body more than I like. I mocked up the 2.5 in. pipe and it seems to "flow" better, in the looks department. I'll be getting the pipes in about 2 weeks, and making them up. I plan to design and build my own setup.
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:31 am

My pipes are run as your "option 2" says. The one thing I have found with the exhaust mounted like this is they act like ground effects, making the car look lower than it really is. Therefore you wouldent have to lower it. Clapp
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:24 am

I also say go with option #2 and the 2 1/2 inch pipe instead of 3 is a wise decision. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum