G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How about header buddys ???

+2
ant7377
carcass
6 posters

Go down

How about header buddys ??? Empty How about header buddys ???

Post by Joe73 Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:23 pm

I really like this concept. Read some good reviews on the net. They just slide into your collector and your pipe slides into the other end. Bolt it together. NO MORE HEADER GASKETS. And they come aluminized. They will also allow for a little "angle" adjustment to your exhaust.

http://www.headerbuddy.com/cgi-bin/ez-catalog/cat_display.cgi?account=X336169;search=23;search=HEADER%20BUDDY;limit=category;v=2.0

Thoughts??? I know they now make header with ball and socket collectors on them, which I think would work great.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

How about header buddys ??? Empty Re: How about header buddys ???

Post by carcass Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:53 pm

looks like a ball and socket conversion almost, should work pretty good!
carcass
carcass
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:34 pm

Thats the way to go Joe.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:16 pm

I hate mine. I have them on my truck, they leak all the time. ive tightened them up so many times now that there is no ball left. and I can't go back to regular flange collectors because they've bent my header flange.

How about header buddys ??? SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:47 am

Wow bent the header flange. Summit does sell the kit (cheap) to weld onto your headers that will make it a ball end. That might be a solution.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:40 pm

What about just a reducer? (depending on your pipe size)

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Spectre-3-to-2-1-2-in-header-reducer/_/N-25j6?itemIdentifier=352795_0_0_

I'm using these & clamping the exhaust pipe to them. I know they have the heat gasket but I really didn't have a problem with these. I installed it so that the triangular hold-down bent a bit- then unbolted & turned them around & reinstalled them so that what was bent- was facing away from the gasket. When I rebolted them- it was a nice tight fit. Might sound stupid but it worked for me.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:20 pm

Reducers are good but I've blown them out from time to time over the years. I really like the header with the factory ball and socket set up. Either way, I plan on using either the aluminum or cooper metal gaskets that squeeze to seal up tight. A little more expensive, but I think its worth it. They have them for the head side and the collector side of your headers. If your running aluminum heads, then definitely use aluminum header gaskets up there. You dont want any cross corrosion going on.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:02 pm

Mine are cast iron & headers are mild steel & coated, so it's all good but that's good info and is something that's easily overlooked or forgotten. I doubt I'll blow them out but you never know...If I did it'd make me pretty proud actually.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:36 pm

When I install a new set of headers, I use an extra flange on the collector. I cut the extra flange between the bolt holes, into 3 pieces, so I can fit it on the back side of the header flange, and weld it in place, making the original flange twice as thick. I've always warped the flanges when torquing the bolts , and causing leaks, so this double-thick flange works good, and doesn't bend.
The fittings in the link are a good idea, if the metal is thick enough to keep it's shape when torqued up.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:40 pm

pila wrote:When I install a new set of headers, I use an extra flange on the collector. I cut the extra flange between the bolt holes, into 3 pieces, so I can fit it on the back side of the header flange, and weld it in place, making the original flange twice as thick. I've always warped the flanges when torquing the bolts , and causing leaks, so this double-thick flange works good, and doesn't bend.
The fittings in the link are a good idea, if the metal is thick enough to keep it's shape when torqued up.

Thats a really good idea! Im gonna try that when I have a little time ,should help it seal up good!
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:35 pm

Sounds like someone got tired of BS & thought out a good solution. Very Happy
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:36 am

well my POS header buddies cost me another $100 bucks today. They finally completely let go and its not like I said before. The header buddy flange actually squeezed past the header buddy ball.
I took it to a muffler shop and had them just solid weld everything.

How about header buddys ??? SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:03 am

Beefing up the collector flanges is the only way I've prevented leaks, on the headers and the exhaust pipe also. It makes the connection quite thick, but it's beefy !
Too bad headers have such thin flanges on the collectors. They saved a dime on each set that way !

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:20 am

pila wrote:Beefing up the collector flanges is the only way I've prevented leaks, on the headers and the exhaust pipe also. It makes the connection quite thick, but it's beefy !
Too bad headers have such thin flanges on the collectors. They saved a dime on each set that way !

My hookers have a good flange- just sayin. I'll take a caliper measurement later & repost but maybe not all are created equal.

BlackChevelleSS wrote:well my POS header buddies cost me another $100 bucks today. They finally completely let go and its not like I said before. The header buddy flange actually squeezed past the header buddy ball.
I took it to a muffler shop and had them just solid weld everything.

Sorry to hear that- Sux!
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:24 am

Now take a look at this I found in the summit catalog that I just got. They come in all diameters and even stainless. The diameters are listed as id and od depending on what you need. I like the clamp on it better than the header buddy style which you can overtighten and crush the joint. This is only one clamp and it "hugs" the joint.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-672225
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:36 pm

The flange was only 1/4" thick. Funny they looked thicker Very Happy
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down