G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Original Dual exhaust System?

+15
77mali
Wallyuph
thatfnthing
dynchel
chevellelaguna
bracketchev1221
Limey SE
driveit
carcass
pila
v8power
ant7377
JB2wheeler
1973montec
jerry46765
19 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Original Dual exhaust System? - Page 3 Empty Re: Original Dual exhaust System?

Post by bracketchev1221 Fri May 31, 2013 2:45 pm

I'm trying to put the stock dual kit on it from the 73-74 cars.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri May 31, 2013 3:19 pm

bracketchev1221 wrote:I'm trying to put the stock dual kit on it from the 73-74 cars.

You Will prob have to make a take little off the driver side pipe for the 76 and 77 comes further back by I think at least 2.5" to 3 " further than the 73 74
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri May 31, 2013 4:07 pm

These are Mine off the 77 and You have to Shorten the Pass side NOT the drive side SOrry for confusion !

Original Dual exhaust System? - Page 3 IMG_20130522_160233_zps9e61b223
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:54 am

Do you see the male bell on the drivers side outlet? That is what I am asking about. The 73-75 do not have that. Only 76-77 do. As far as the passenger side, everywhere I look shows the same replacement number for 73-77.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:08 am

i have a set of these from my old 73 or 74 montes.
Original Dual exhaust System? - Page 3 74110
Original Dual exhaust System? - Page 3 74210
Original Dual exhaust System? - Page 3 74310

ive used them with these pipes with no problems
front pipe left side 47441 walker

front pipe right side 46367 walker.
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:33 am

Both sides seal up with just a donut gasket?
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:29 pm

bracketchev1221 wrote:Both sides seal up with just a donut gasket?

yes
looks like this
Original Dual exhaust System? - Page 3 Img_1010

and pipe looks like this

Original Dual exhaust System? - Page 3 Img_1011
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:02 pm

I figured I could reuse the heat diverter valve on the passenger side with the long studs, and then mount up the passenger side. So I will look into getting an early driver side manifold.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:00 pm

I'm currently trying to find a set of front factory style stock exhaust pipes for Project Laguna to just get me by until I decide where I'm going with the engine setup. Don't want to drive my car into a shop and spend $500-$600 on a custom exhaust at this time.

Thought I had found a source for the Walker 47441 & 46367 pipes online with a company called Original Equipment Parts Warehouse (price was right at less than $80 delivered), but they e-mailed back and said they couldn't provide them afterall. Called Heart Throb Mufflers in Litchfield, MN and they provided the cards for both pipes, but aren't interested in bending some pipe for me unless I drive my car 90 miles to their shop (don't think Laguna is reliable enough yet for that kind of drive). Also, since it's a '75 with a cat convertor, I'm not sure anybody will touch it if want it done without a cats. I'm begining to think muffler shops don't bend pipe off these cards anymore. Any helpful ideas?
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:58 pm

For $229 you can buy a complete Hedder back 2.5" system with mufflers and tailpipes, can buy cheapie summit Hedders for $150, and you're done. Won't have to mess with making the original exhaust work, or tracking down the right parts. Everyone says they have or can get it, till you need it and find out.... Like you already have, that they can't get it after all. You're gonna spend the money anyhow may as well buy a full dual setup with Hedders, that's what I would do.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:36 pm

Could something like this work? Should be able to get them even cheaper. They have them for small and big blocks.
http://pypesexhaust.com/i-12200758-64-81-2-5-downpipes-3-bolt-chevy-small-block-dgu14s.html

Or something like this??
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flowmaster-Manifold-Downpipe-Kit-409S-81068-Chevrolet-Camaro-Chevelle-El-/390734441138?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AChevelle&hash=item5af9966ab2&vxp=mtr
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:39 pm

Some times you can find a exhaust shop that will make you what you want.  I had a local place make me a "test pipe" (aka converter bypass pipe) for my moms camaro for twenty dollars.  This was a cash / no recept deal.  My buddy had this problem years ago when building a '76 monte carlo. He called around local muffler shops and finally found one (midas i think)  that would run duals (with no converter) assuming the car came in with no converter.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:42 pm

For cash, someone is always willing to do it -- you just have to hunt around.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:25 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:I'm currently trying to find a set of front factory style stock exhaust pipes for Project Laguna to just get me by until I decide where I'm going with the engine setup.  Don't want to drive my car into a shop and spend $500-$600 on a custom exhaust at this time.  

Thought I had found a source for the Walker 47441 & 46367 pipes online with a company called Original Equipment Parts Warehouse (price was right at less than $80 delivered), but they e-mailed back and said they couldn't provide them afterall.  Called Heart Throb Mufflers in Litchfield, MN and they provided the cards for both pipes, but aren't interested in bending some pipe for me unless I drive my car 90 miles to their shop (don't think Laguna is reliable enough yet for that kind of drive).  Also, since it's a '75 with a cat convertor, I'm not sure anybody will touch it if want it done without a cats.  I'm begining to think muffler shops don't bend pipe off these cards anymore.  Any helpful ideas?

Here in MA you can eliminate the Cats on a car that's over 15 YO, we don't test emissions on old cars.  You can most likely get away with the pre-cat system in this thread but you should double check the laws in your home state.  Most (except for CA) are pretty "hands-off" with classic cars.  Wosre comes to worse you'll have to buy the cat & fit it into the pipes coming off the exhaust manifolds.  You can get the pipes on the walker system "widened" on the ends to slip over the pipes on the Cat & then use clamps around the ends to tie it all together.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:48 pm

MN doesn't test for emissions, either.  Only thing they do is, when you transfer title, they ask on the form whether the emissions have been altered.  I was planning on saving the y-pipe and cat to pass along to the next owner if so desired.

Thought about the headers...but again, more money and work than I wanted to put into it at this time.  Besides, seems I remember reading on old threads on the subject that putting headers on these cars can be a real test of patience and the net result is that they do little to increase horsepower on stock motors?

Did find a company on e-Bay who would supply the exhaust pipes only (Classic Exhaust in Ohio) for $160 shipped.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:46 pm

That's a good deal for the pipes!  

Check "NO" on the box.  If anyone does question it- "That's how I got the car".

Headers will generally improve exhaust flow but as far as a big net increase in power & torque it's very minimal.  If your Guna has the stock EGR & AIR Pump set up I wouldn't bother unless you want to start over from scratch with a build or crate motor.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:56 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:MN doesn't test for emissions, either.  Only thing they do is, when you transfer title, they ask on the form whether the emissions have been altered.  I was planning on saving the y-pipe and cat to pass along to the next owner if so desired.

Thought about the headers...but again, more money and work than I wanted to put into it at this time.  Besides, seems I remember reading on old threads on the subject that putting headers on these cars can be a real test of patience and the net result is that they do little to increase horsepower on stock motors?

Did find a company on e-Bay who would supply the exhaust pipes only (Classic Exhaust in Ohio) for $160 shipped.  

What about this set up.$296.00 plus 60.00 shipping does not sound bad to me. for all pipes and mufflers. Just don't tell them its a 76 and you will be fine. The body did not change for the exhaust that much. Plus if you need a welder you know a guy with one Me. Wally
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-1974-CHEVELLE-MONTE-CARLO-DUAL-EXHAUST-ALUMINIZED-W-350-400-ENGINES-/380945923411?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58b2257d53
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Original Dual exhaust System? - Page 3 Empty Original Dual Exhaust System

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:27 pm

QUOTE:
"Anybody knows a good cheap Exhaust Kit look likes the Original exhaust system?
Original Dual exhaust System? - Page 3 1058910

Where can i bought it?

I found two seller but i don't know the systems are original and works correctly on my car.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-680130
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-1974-CHEVELLE-MONTE-CARLO-DUAL-EXHAUST-ALUMINIZED-W-350-400-ENGINES-/181112227749?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AChevelle&hash=item2a2b2147a5&vxp=mtr"
------------------------------------------------------

Just wanted to share some info regarding this thread.  I, too, was looking to convert to dual exhaust on the Laguna and was trying to find a relatively cheap alternative to a custom job at the local muffler clinic.  I did some calling around and was unable to find anyone locally who was interested in bending the front pipes for me.  I was, however, able to secure the Bend Cards courtesy of Heart Throb mufflers and, although they didn't help me in finding a local muffler shop to supply them, I thought it might be of some interest to others if I posted them on this site for reference.

BTW...I was able to get the pipes from Scott in Ohio (second Seller listed above) who did an excellent job and shipped them within a few days.  

Original Dual exhaust System? - Page 3 7374du10
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:20 am

Have you installed it yet?
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:20 am

Steve did you get the whole system or just the front pipes? Thanks for the info & pic!
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:53 am

Ordered just the front pipes from Scott. Went with Dynomax Super Turbos from Summit. Was considering Magnaflo's as I like the sound on my '67 Cougar...but, couldn't justify nearly twice the cost with what I was trying to accomplish at this point. Walker factory style tail pipes are readily available thru various online suppliers.

Should have mentioned those Bend Cards are for 350 engines only with stock manifolds. Strictly a factory original duplication setup.

Have the front pipes/mufflers loosely installed. Waiting for a couple hangars to arrive before securing them.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:52 am

common pass side 74-77 monte single or duals.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Exhaust-Tail-Pipe-Right-Left-WALKER-46477-/350836201974?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AMonte+Carlo&hash=item51af7799f6&vxp=mtr

drive side 74-77 monte (74 was only duals,but will it 75-77)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walker-Pro-Fit-46478-Tail-Pipe-/191276613732?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AMonte+Carlo&hash=item2c88f98064&vxp=mtr

these will it a 73,but dont look right at all... the tip will be to long and angled in the wrong spot near bumper.73 has NO rear bumper shocks and take a another number.
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:55 pm

Thanks for this thread and the Walker diagram, it is helping me with my dual exhaust. I am converting my 73 SS Chevelle back to factory exhaust (I got the car with headers and cherry bombs installed, what a mess...). I have most of the pieces needed, since I found date-correct manifolds, and bought a dual exhaust kit from Classic Exhaust in Geneva, Ohio. As pictured, my car already has the 35661 brackets bolted to the frame crossmember directly in front of the rear differential, but my kit didn't come with the 35525 hangers. I'm hoping my NAPA has those hangers, and also the 31400 doughnuts too, as those didn't come with my kit either.

Original Dual exhaust System? - Page 3 Imag0629

I have a question on the tailpipe hangers. As pictured, my car has brackets bolted to the frame already. They appear factory. My tailpipes don't have anything welded to them like those tabs that might push thru the tail pipe brackets on my car. Are there any brackets to buy that interface with those factory brackets to then interface with the muffler clamp for the tail pipe in that area? The above Walker diagram gives the impression that the tailpipes are one piece from the muffler back, but my kit they are split in 2 pieces. I had a Flowmaster kit on a 1st gen A body and it came with a bracket that bolted to the stock frame location and had a piece that interfaced with the muffler clamp for the 2 piece tailpipe, maybe i'll buy a pair of those and save those original brackets for later.

Original Dual exhaust System? - Page 3 Imag0630

Original Dual exhaust System? - Page 3 Imag0631

clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:37 pm

You should be able to get the muffler hanger without problem. As for the tail pipe hanger its just a flat piece of metal bent into the letter "c". One side of the c is shorter than the other and thats the side that would clamp or weld to your tailpipe. The longer end of the c slides into your tailpipe hanger. I still have all my original parts from my factory duals and I always thought it fit well.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:04 am

Thanks Joe. Would you be able to give me a rough estimate of the height of the "C"? Basically I'd like to know the distance between where the c goes into the stock tailpipe hanger to the top of the tailpipe so I can fab up a C that helps replicate the stock tailpipe location?
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next