G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

8 tracks!

+4
pila
dragons_lair59
Pontichev327
Mcarlo77
8 posters

Go down

8 tracks! Empty 8 tracks!

Post by Pontichev327 Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:22 pm

This gold "console" was purchased in 1975 by the original owner of my 1975 Grand Am. She bought it at the dealership and it's still there today. She left a couple of 8 tracks with it, and I found a few more from relatives and such. The Kleenex are pretty old too! The icescraper is also an original dealer item from 1975. The 8 track player still plays and sounds just like it did when new!... Lousy!! clown [img]8 tracks! Bop_sh11[/img]#2...[img]8 tracks! Bop_sh12[/img]#3...[img]8 tracks! Bop_sh13[/img]#4...[img]8 tracks! Bop_sh14[/img][img][/img]#5...[img]8 tracks! Bop_sh16[/img]
Pontichev327
Pontichev327
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

8 tracks! Empty Re: 8 tracks!

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:44 pm

That is a cool item (and, story) you've got there! Never seen one like it. Usually, everybody had the hard cased briefcase-like thing or the plastic tray with cover that they kept in the backseat (I've got one of each).

My Monte came with factory 8-track, too and it plays/sounds just like yours...Lousy! Love it when the track changes in the middle of a song. Remember back in the day when these were such a big deal...to be able to play recorded music in your car! When I got my car in '96, I didn't have any tapes any longer. But, when coworkers, friends and family members found out I had the 8-track player, they were dragging stuff out of their basements/garages/attics and giving them to me. I must have 50 tapes!
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:47 pm

All this talk about 8 tracks makes me want to dig the radio my car came with out and reinstall it. It is a audiovox am/fm/8 track. I tried it way back (1994 ish) and it worked then. It even had a swanky 5 band equalizer with a power booster hanging under the dash. ( i no longer have that). I put a nice shaft style Kenwood digital cassette player in its place. Smoking that is still in to this day. I also have a cb radio.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Pontichev327 Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:48 pm

I had a CB in my 73 Laguna back in '77-'78. We used a magnetic antenna to stick it to the roof when we needed it. Back then, the truckers would actually tell you where the cops were, it was like a game to them. I think enough years have gone by to admit this now, but back in the day, I was doing a few things that I would get in serious trouble for now. We would haul "things" Smoking from O'boro to Bowling Green at 120 mph in a flash of Midnite Green Laguna! I only had one swivel bucket seat installed and we made a velour L shaped low back couch to go from the Passenger side of the dash back and across where the lower rear seat used to be. The top part of the rear sear was removed and we cut a pass thru into the trunk and made a wooden bar with a Z-brick front, with plastic stained glass panels on the sides and a flip down door. It had glass and bottle holders and a silver shot glass too. ( Remember, this was the "VAN DAYS" but I didn't own a van...) Laughing I only have this one picture of it, but it was taken in process and I don't have any of it finished out. I believe by then I had a Jvc cassette player and a 10 band Jvc EQ and Jensen dual oval speakers in wedge shaped headknocker cabinets. ( 'cause if you stopped too hard they would knock you in the head!!) affraid [img]8 tracks! Vintag10[/img][img]8 tracks! Vintag11[/img][img]8 tracks! Vintag12[/img][img]8 tracks! Vintag13[/img]
Pontichev327
Pontichev327
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:27 pm

I have a cb set up in my garage. The most entertaining thing i hear is there is a guy in my neighborhood that gets drunk and just rants on channel #19 racial slurs, anti gay, and any other thing that he can get a response from. If you answer him, it just gets better. He will go on for hours. Also i live 1/4 mile from the freeway, so there is lots of trucker activity.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeBill66 Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:09 pm

Wasn't that great when it would change in the middle of a song. Just fade out, change tracks, and fade back in. The kids today don't know what they missed. They're spoiled by these new fangled CD's and iPods...laughs...

WyldeBill66
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Pontichev327 Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:21 pm

Did you have one of the portable 8 track players in the wild colors by Panasonic and such? I had a bright blue one that the handle was also the track changer. I completely wore out a Kiss Alive! tape and a Styx tape too. But my favorite 8 track of all time was 1966 Golden Filth - Live from the Fillmore East by The Fugs. A reaaly subversive band like Zappa and Captain Beefheart. Slum Goddess from the Lower East Side!!! YEAH!!!
Pontichev327
Pontichev327
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeBill66 Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:34 pm

We just had the one in the car. I wore out Kiss Alive II...I do remember the portable ones, I just didn't have one.

WyldeBill66
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:27 am

had the boombox with tape and 8 track but i inherited it in the mid 80's about the time 8 tracks were dead
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:42 pm

I still have two 8-track players for cars. One is a Pioneer. And a bunch of tapes...So far they have survived my house cleaning to get rid of stuff.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:20 pm

pila wrote:I still have two 8-track players for cars. One is a Pioneer. And a bunch of tapes...So far they have survived my house cleaning to get rid of stuff.

If you wanna get rid of an 8track player and tapes let me know Pila I have a box of about 55 8-tracks Just need the player for the SE looking for a CB as well

Last edited by Limey SE on Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:51 pm

Ive got one of those blue portable ones. We had a Sound design stereo in the house with 8 track,I had the beach boys and some others along with my parents Sinatra and Deano.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeBill66 Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:24 pm

I still have a ton of albums too, just need to get a new stylus for the record player. Something cool about the crackle of an album that brings back the old memories...

WyldeBill66
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:32 pm

Definately sound different . Is it the crackle? I cant put my finger on it. It sure does bring back memories.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeBill66 Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:42 pm

The little pops from microscopic dust in the grooves...I just love classic things anyway. Harley's, cars, music. Hell I have a 1938 pocket watch to tell time...laughs...I even refuse to get a smart-A$$ phone until I have no choice...I'm smart, I don't need a phone that thinks it is....

WyldeBill66
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:44 pm

HA! I hear ya!
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:32 am

anyone interested in 8 tracks, cb radios or other vintage stuff should check out wwwshopgoodwill.com. stuff like that is usually really cheap. plus all purchases are for a good cause. Very Happy
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum