G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sound deadener

+3
Pontichev327
Laguna Budman
alleyball4
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Sound deadener Empty Sound deadener

Post by Landonus Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:53 pm

Ok, I've decided to get the carpet for my 77' from NPD. Now I am stuck on what to put underneath the carpet. Haven't ripped out my old insulation yet since I don't know what direction I want to go in, so I have a few questions. There are three products that I can't seem to figure out how they work, if they work together or if any one product serves multiple purposes.

Sound Deadener, HushMat, and Heat shielding stuff. All of which can be found on the NPD website on the same page (31)

Surely I do not need all three as a few cancel out other products duties. I planned on just buying deadener but then wondered if it was thick enough so that the carpet would still fit correctly since it looks thinner than insulaton. And could you use the deadener and the HushMat together or would it me too thick. Anyways, I'm just having trouble wrapping my brain around the subject and any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Landonus
Landonus
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Sound deadener Empty Re: Sound deadener

Post by Wallyuph Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:26 pm

I personally just use the hush-mat. Then normal carpet pad and carpet. Have no fit issues, it deadens sound and heat. Plus its just peel and stick. I prefer the black over the silver face. It holds glue better for carpet and does not show if you go up fire walls and such as much as the silver does.

Here you can see where I stopped it going from floor up back seat area.

[img]Sound deadener Img_3811[/img]

If you put to much pad under carpet then the tracks don't like to move and end up wearing groves in carpet is what I have found. The Hush mat makes a big difference.

Here is the floor with carpet that came with carpet pad.
[img]Sound deadener Img_3812[/img]
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:36 pm

I agree with Wally...the hush mat or equal (peel/stick & roll on) stuff is expensive but works very well not only for sound & heat but as a waterproofer too in case of leaks. Some one found a brand name on amazon for pretty cheap & posted about it-might want to keep searching the tech section in interiors maybe? I do remember it was a good deal though.

I am considering the stock style sound deadener because it is the cheapest way out LOL.

Search & check "Stock Interiors" website for carpet & SD also. They have both the 1 piece & two piece carpets for 73-77 cars. They sell a carpet with what they call "mass backing" option also which has the padding built in basically. Even though my car was a 1 piece carpet I think I'm going with the 2 piece because it might be easier for me to install.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by alleyball4 Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:11 pm

yes, there is company that sells the dynamat for half price. I believe they are over in Ohio, and go by the name, Fatmat. I bought 50 sq ft, for $89. I can't remember what the mil thickness was, but I know it was one of their thicker they had.

here's their number: 877-328-5060

good luck, hope this helps

alleyball4
alleyball4
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:35 am

The carpet from NPD has the sound deadener, a 1/2 inch jute pad, glued to the bottom of the carpet, according to the catalog..

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Laguna Budman Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:45 am

Can't fint the link as usual but whoever asked about this 77mali mentioned someone and i think it was me. So here is the link http://www.b-quiet.com/?googleads . This cost me $120 to do my whole interior including the roof and doors. Hope this helps
Laguna Budman
Laguna Budman
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:00 am

Laguna Budman wrote:Can't fint the link as usual but whoever asked about this 77mali mentioned someone and i think it was me. So here is the link http://www.b-quiet.com/?googleads . This cost me $120 to do my whole interior including the roof and doors. Hope this helps

Yep that's the stuff! A bit of a lesser promoted brand it seems but does the same job.

On a side note....I wish I lived closer to Wallyuph for my interior. I'm dreading doing this stuff. pale
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Landonus Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:04 am

How about this stuff?

Sound deadener 09595910
Landonus
Landonus
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Landonus Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:05 am

Pulled this from another forum Sam turned me on to. I think I will go with it. Guy said it took 3 rolls for his car floor/doors. $11 a roll.

Sound deadener Dscf3610

Sound deadener 24691910
Landonus
Landonus
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Landonus Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:10 am

pila wrote:The carpet from NPD has the sound deadener, a 1/2 inch jute pad, glued to the bottom of the carpet, according to the catalog..

If this is correct would I need any deadener or heat shielding at all?
Landonus
Landonus
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:12 am

oops

Last edited by 77mali on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:15 am

Landonus wrote:How about this stuff?

Sound deadener 09595910

Check the mil thickness- most of that stuff is 20-30 mil or less (fairly thin). I don't know on the brand but it's for roofing & waterproofing like "Ice & water shield".- Not sayin it wouldn't work.

I think the stuff Budman posted comes 40, 60 & 80 mil.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Landonus Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:16 am

Will do. The fella that used it speaks highly of it. Here is the link for anyone wanting to check it out.

http://forums.racingjunk.com/viewtopic.php?t=17712&sid=68b0dc423f7b2339178a7dad57681d00
Landonus
Landonus
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Landonus Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:23 am

Decided to go with this supplier instead. I've had very good dealings with them in the past and no problems with returns. Can anyone explain Cut-Pile and 80/20 to me? Which one is better, which looks or IS original?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/74-77-GM-A-Body-Carpet-Set-2-Piece-Cut-Pile-Trim-Parts-/260301562698?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1977|Model%3AMalibu&hash=item3c9b2ea34a&vxp=mtr
Landonus
Landonus
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:24 am

Landonus, be very careful with that stuff from a home store. It has tar in it and on the first hot day the car will smell like fresh tar from then on like a X-mas tree air freshener. Then all interior will need to be replaced. Got a call and guy stopped in with a car that used some thing like that once. I sent him down the road as did not want to touch it with a 10 foot pole.

(Can't make quote thing work)
"On a side note....I wish I lived closer to Wallyuph for my interior. I'm dreading doing this stuff."

Believe it or not but I'm doing my best to get out of doing auto work for upholstery. I took my hobby and made it a full time job and starting loosing interest in it. I have cut back on them over the last 5 years and really not doing much auto at all now. Starting to get that drive back for my own stuff. I still do Upholstery for a full time job but do more commercial work now and still do furniture. But after 25 years of doing this A guy gets a little burned out.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Landonus Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:29 am

[quote="Wallyuph"]Landonus, be very careful with that stuff from a home store. It has tar in it and on the first hot day the car will smell like fresh tar from then on like a X-mas tree air freshener. Then all interior will need to be replaced. Got a call and guy stopped in with a car that used some thing like that once. I sent him down the road as did not want to touch it with a 10 foot pole.[quote="Wallyuph"]

That would save the need to use any POR, lol. Thanks for the heads up! I'll do a little more looking around. Since that guy's car is probably garaged %100 of the time he probably has not run into that problem. Mine is driven just as much as my other cars, if not the most.

Last edited by Landonus on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Landonus
Landonus
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:35 am

http://www.stockinteriors.com/AutoCarpet.asp?Itemid=8329&MakeId=5&ModelId=61

Click on the "Samples" link & you'll see the difference in the two types. The link above is for 73 Malibu-two piece.

My old carpet was cut pile.

Forgot about the asphalt base in that flashing. I see that stuff "drool" all the time in masonry walls through the "weep" holes. Tough as heck to remove it.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:39 am

Wally- glad to hear you're getting back in the groove at least for your own stuff. I'm 22 years in my industry & I can relate to burning out. LOL
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Landonus Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:48 am

The samples make Cut-Pile look like the carpet in my 2010 Kia Soul Sport. However the site says Cut-Pile would be correct for my car and my 77' has the 80/20 loop, or so it seems.
Landonus
Landonus
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:50 am

I'd have whoever you're going with send you carpet samples before purchase. I got a sample of black cut pile from Stock Interiors (albeit small)...I thought it looked good. Other years or other GM division G3's may have used a loop style but not sure. I think my 77 Cutlass was also cut pile as well as my 84 Delta.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:52 am

They had two kinds of carpet Loop and cut pile. The loop you need to be careful with screws for rocker panels and such. The the screw or a drill that catches a loop it will run across the car and you will need a new carpet as no fix for that. so just don't use a drill bit and use a hand screw driver when mounting or screwing things into carpeted areas with loop style carpet. That's why I prefer the cut pile. They also have cut pile in Essex witch is twice as think or plush but not in all colors just more popular ones.

Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Pontichev327 Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:52 am

I think 73 was the last year for loop, but i may be wrong. I know my 73's both had factory loop carpet, and both my 75's have cut pile.I have never had a 74, so I don't know.
Pontichev327
Pontichev327
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:55 am

I believe you are correct as my 73 in high school had loop in it. I prefer the custom side in interiors so I forget some times that others want that stock look.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:44 pm

According to the catalogs I have, '73 to '77 had cut pile, while '72 & older were loop style .
The jute type padding is available in bulk also, as well as pre-cut pieces to fit the floors etc. The 7 piece pre-cut set from NPD is $61.95 FWIW...

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:56 pm

Wallyuph wrote:They had two kinds of carpet Loop and cut pile. The loop you need to be careful with screws for rocker panels and such. The the screw or a drill that catches a loop it will run across the car and you will need a new carpet as no fix for that. so just don't use a drill bit and use a hand screw driver when mounting or screwing things into carpeted areas with loop style carpet. That's why I prefer the cut pile. They also have cut pile in Essex witch is twice as think or plush but not in all colors just more popular ones.

Stock interiors has his option-do you think it's worth the extra money? Would be $207.00 vs $134.00 for a two piece carpet.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next