G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leather-Wrapped Strg Wheel an Option?

+3
ant7377
77mali
pila
7 posters

Go down

Leather-Wrapped Strg Wheel an Option? Empty Leather-Wrapped Strg Wheel an Option?

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:55 pm

Does anyone know if steering wheels could be ordered from the factory with leather wrapping? Here's why I ask...I just pulled a black strg wheel off a '75 Laguna yesterday and it had a leather wrapping on it. I've seen this same exact style wrap several times (in fact, I have a wrapped strg wheel off a '72 Centurion in the garage) and the manner in which the lacing is installed is always the same and looks professionally done. However, I always presumed these were just aftermarket covers somebody installed along the way. Anyway, I decided to remove the wrapping on this one that I pulled yesterday and it came off in two layers. The outer layer, which was nicely laced...and a thinner, lightly padded inner liner that was very tightly wrapped and laced around the rim. Once removed, I was amazed to find the strg wheel looking like brand new...and, there is absolutely no signs of wear anywhere around the rim. It's as if it was installed at the factory...or, immediately after finding it's first owner. And I'm thinking, why would an aftermarket wrapping come in two layers...each individually laced to the rim? All I ever remember using was a basic one-pc wrap that you laced up as best you could. Looked in my GM Prod. Codes book and they do show NK4 (Strg Wheel Sport Leather) and N37 (Wheel - Leather Strg./Tilt & Telescopic).

Anyone care to speculate?
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Leather-Wrapped Strg Wheel an Option? Empty Re: Leather-Wrapped Strg Wheel an Option?

Post by pila Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:10 pm

Kinda sounds like Cadillac type stuff.......

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Leather-Wrapped Strg Wheel an Option? Empty Re: Leather-Wrapped Strg Wheel an Option?

Post by 77mali Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:41 pm

Here's one (I think) on a 78 El Camino, nice option if you ask me Very Happy
Leather-Wrapped Strg Wheel an Option? 5l65e910
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:17 pm

Funny you should bring this up. I was driving my friends 72 Sedan DeVille the other day and I noticed the leather steering wheel wrap. I thought he put it on there but he told me it was there when he bought the car and it dosent come off. What you have there must be the same thing. Maybe a dealer accesory.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:21 pm

I saw another one in a picture on the internet on a '73 Monte for sale where the black-wrapping was under an after-market slip over type wrap. Why would anyone do that unless they felt the original factory installed one was worth protecting?

Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:19 am

When i bought my 73 in 2002 the wheel was wrapped. It looks brand new, not a wear mark anywhere.
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by jerry46765 Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:06 pm

77mali wrote:Here's one (I think) on a 78 El Camino, nice option if you ask me Very Happy
Leather-Wrapped Strg Wheel an Option? 5l65e910

That wheel is from any number of gm cars but definately not a '78 Camino.
The '80s Monte SS wheel is commonly swapped.
jerry46765
jerry46765
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:09 pm

almost looks like the ones in early cavaliers

dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down