G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New 75 Monte Project

+12
1973 454 MONTE
maliburacinfreak
Biomedtech
74MonteCarlo
orange Juiced
77ElClassic
DiscoMalibu
1973montec
pila
dragons_lair59
texan01
BlackChevelleSS
16 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

New 75 Monte Project - Page 5 Empty Re: New 75 Monte Project

Post by JiMi_DRiX Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:41 pm

I finally got to start cleaning it up this last weekend. While I sure didnt get everything the first go, its a good start. I pressure washed the engine, and got the underside as best I could for now. I need to get it up on a lift to get it all. I washed the exterior, and gave it a quick polish. The not so great repaint still shined up a bit, and makes it look clean.

New 75 Monte Project - Page 5 IMG_1088_zps0b75608e

I really need to get some stock springs in the rear!

New 75 Monte Project - Page 5 IMG_1090_zpsfee536bb

The interior needs a little work. Can sameone say "dash mat"? haha. Does anyone have some real nice upper blue door panels? Otherwise I have everything else.

New 75 Monte Project - Page 5 IMG_1099_zps89b1b3ac

Under all that crud, I found a motor!

New 75 Monte Project - Page 5 IMG_1100_zps6de99d90

New 75 Monte Project - Page 5 IMG_1093_zps62bbbb9c
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:20 pm

Nice...

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:26 pm

Hey looks great !
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:48 pm

Lookin good
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:53 pm

Thanks guys. She is slowly getting there. Its hard to work on multiple projects, let alone one anymore these days, but it is still my escape to go out and play with one of the cars. I'm working hard to hopefully get new shocks/springs for the 76, which means I can put the old springs into the 75.
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:12 pm

That Monte cleaned up nicely! Still can't believe you only paid $800 for it! Great job!
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:04 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:That Monte cleaned up nicely! Still can't believe you only paid $800 for it! Great job!

Actually, I paid $600 for it... Very Happy lol
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:12 pm

looks great but grand theft auto is against the law (even if you do take good care of it)
lol!

77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:09 am

It seeme to be worth it to get a car from the southwest and transporting it up here when buying a project. Mike, im going to contact you the next time im looking for a car!
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:37 am

$600...that's just crazy! Around here, that's scrap value. Must be how one of the yards up here can buy cars in Phoenix, Las Vegas and at the Pomona swap meets and transport them up here to sell for reasonable prices. Actually, many end up going to Demo Derby buyers...so, you know he's picking them up cheap down there.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:29 am

Yeah I got lucky! I went to see Phil today, I got a door and deck lid for the 73, and some hinge pins for the 75, and found a 76 Elco in a salvage yard that I need the window regulator for on the 75. Now I can do a little more work again!
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:43 pm

Hey everyone, so a quick update.

I got the window regulator from that Camino, as well as door pins/bushings. I just need some new weather stripping and door strikers to get that project started.

I also replaced all the belts and hoses this week. She starts easy and runs well, but I still have that backfire through the carb. Next on that topic is to replace the fuel pump, and pull the carb, inspect, and replace the gasket on the intake. While using some carb cleaner, it started running out the bottom. Makes me think there might be a leak.

Otherwise, I've just been looking over the car and doing little odds and ends things. I replaced all the tail light bulbs and now they seem to blink and work correctly. I peeked under the dash, and all the wiring looks great, still factory minus the stereo/speakers. And I'm still looking for a nice pair of upper blue door panels if anyone has some!

I would like to get this car registered and driving by late spring/early summer. The 76 is getting springs/shocks, and new exhaust, so hopefully I can work hard enough to make both happen!
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:56 pm

Dude...when you get around to changing out that fuel pump, give me a shout. I'll share a trick that will save you a lot of time and frustration trying to hold that push rod up while installing the new pump.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:59 pm

Can't wait to see some more pics. You might want to look into just having the carb rebuilt. IDK about your neck of the woods but I had mine rebuilt & refinished for about $110 & well worth it.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Biomedtech Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:58 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:Dude...when you get around to changing out that fuel pump, give me a shout. I'll share a trick that will save you a lot of time and frustration trying to hold that push rod up while installing the new pump.

Big glob of wheel bearing grease does the trick for me
Biomedtech
Biomedtech
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by maliburacinfreak Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:10 pm

Biomedtech wrote:
Mcarlo77 wrote:Dude...when you get around to changing out that fuel pump, give me a shout. I'll share a trick that will save you a lot of time and frustration trying to hold that push rod up while installing the new pump.

Big glob of wheel bearing grease does the trick for me

or put a 3/8 bolt in the hole in front of the block that was put there for this purpose

maliburacinfreak
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:36 pm

That's it...the bolt hole in the front of the block. Not sure that's what it was designed for, but it's far easier than the blob of grease (do you really want that stuff in there, anyway?).
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:28 pm

FYI- that bolt hole should be sealed after the pump is installed w/ a shorter bolt so as not to interfere w/ proper operation. There is a possibility of oil leaking from there, if the bolt is missing- falls out, not tightened etc, as the cam operates the pushrod for the mechanical fuel pump. It's one of those..."Where the !@#$^ is the leak coming from" things. Very Happy
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by maliburacinfreak Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:38 pm

77mali wrote:FYI- that bolt hole should be sealed after the pump is installed w/ a shorter bolt also. There is a possibility of oil leaking from there as the cam operates the pushrod for the mechanical fuel pump. It's one of those..."Where the !@#$^ is the leak coming from" things. Very Happy
i chased an oil leak for months on my wagon because of that! changed pan gasket, timing cover gasket and front crank seal, wouldnt leak sitting at idle. then an older guy at the track pointed out that i didnt have a bolt in that hole. i thought, "so what?". then he told me what it was for and that it leaks at higher RPM. put a 1/2" long bolt in it and havent had a problem since

maliburacinfreak
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:51 pm

maliburacinfreak wrote:
77mali wrote:FYI- that bolt hole should be sealed after the pump is installed w/ a shorter bolt also. There is a possibility of oil leaking from there as the cam operates the pushrod for the mechanical fuel pump. It's one of those..."Where the !@#$^ is the leak coming from" things. Very Happy
i chased an oil leak for months on my wagon because of that! changed pan gasket, timing cover gasket and front crank seal, wouldnt leak sitting at idle. then an older guy at the track pointed out that i didnt have a bolt in that hole. i thought, "so what?". then he told me what it was for and that it leaks at higher RPM. put a 1/2" long bolt in it and havent had a problem since

Yep it was missing from my car & you could see that over time there was a decent build up of gunk accumulation. The fan is right there too after a while it will make it's way to the timing cover & the nearby parts.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:09 pm

It would make sense, I guess...but, I don't think there was a bolt there from the factory. So, what gives with that?
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:34 pm

Good question...I don't know. I just looked in my 77 shop manual & they don't reference it in the procedure- just a diagram that shows the components & gaskets.

My engine builder told me about it though & said make sure I sealed it off. The block I have now is from the late 80's...maybe the push-rods are different thickness from yours? That's the only thing I can think of...I assumed that they would be the same.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:43 pm

I forgot about that hole, it's been a long time since I did a fuel pump. I remember now, thanks for the reminder! How long a bolt needs to be used to hold the rod? If I can ever get the line loose, I'll replace it. It's damn tight.
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:54 am

Looks like 3/8" coarse thread. I'm doing this tomorrow morning hopefully as I'm in the midst of motor reassembly. I have a few lengths of extra bolts but have not test fitted yet.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by maliburacinfreak Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:01 am

1-1/2" should be plenty long enough to hold it, then use a 1/2" long bolt to seal it off.

maliburacinfreak
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next