G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

interior parts

+3
Sinister
jerry46765
1973 454 MONTE
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

interior parts Empty interior parts

Post by pila Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:17 pm

A bit over week ago, I ordered the new seat upholstery for my '75 Elco project. It will likely get here about Tuesday. Yesterday I ordered the new headliner. Probably wont do the headliner until the painting is done. I have the seat apart in my basement, and have been cutting off the hog-rings from the old seat upholstery. It's not too bad a job to do. I did front & back seats on my Malibu, in 2005, after it was painted. Hopefully the interior will be together this summer.......

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

interior parts Empty Re: interior parts

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:54 pm

theres waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to many hog rings..... Laughing
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:38 pm

Yes, the factory must have a "hog ring gun" in order to put all those on a seat ! Very Happy

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:16 am

What company did you go with for the seat covers?
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:57 am

interior parts 6531d1316810579-np203-0r-205-uselesswopics
Sinister
Sinister
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:23 pm

I bought the set upholstery from NPD. It arrived today. I'm not happy at all with what they sent me. I contacted them by email. The back-rests have open seams, or slits, up the sides, where the original didn't, and there's no way to cover that part etc. And the one back-rest cover I tried didn't fit good either.
I'll have to look around for a different vendor/source. Hopefully they will take this set back.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:36 pm

I'm sorry to hear that Bill. I was hoping you said P U I Interiors. 1-888-509-8249. Some other members here have said they make great products & they are resonably priced but I have not seen their matarial up close.

77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jerry46765 Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:50 pm

I recovered bucket seats once for a '74. Man, to get them to look right took a ton of pulling and tugging. At the time, they didn't make repro seat foam, so I screwed around with adding foam and loose cushion material. They looked ok but not impressive. Yeah, you need a hog ring tool. The last covers I got from LMC truck included a cheap set of Chinese HR pliers.
They were a one use tool.

Thanks -
jerry46765
jerry46765
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:45 pm

I don't know who made these covers. PUI didn't I'll bet. Here's my Malibu with PUI covers: Which came out fine.....
interior parts P1010921

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:33 am

Gotta love the classic vinyl.
Nice looking job.
I'd have to go with some fabric though...gotta be hot in the summer time.
Sinister
Sinister
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:26 pm

Yeah, the cloth inserts would be cooler for sure. Somewhat more money for the cloth when I bought the stuff in the pic.

Leather would have been nice though ! Very Happy

I just received an email from NPD, and sent the guy a pic of the original seat-back, with no seams up the sides. We'll see what happens next !

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:30 pm

It's funny how these company's that list all this stuff for the 73-77 GM cars don't even know what they're selling half the time. Take the dash cap I bought recently...wrong grain, terrible fit around the a/c vents, did not even "reach" the defroster vents when it's supposed to rest against the windshield...(about an inch too short in the middle)...I hate paying hard earned money for something and it's either totally wrong or a vendor won't admit it's not correct and try & blame you (car related especially).
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:49 pm

Good news today !! Very Happy I emailed NPD Customer Service about the seat problem, and the manager at the Detroit area office ( Canton) emailed me today after he sorted it out, and is sending the correct covers, and having UPS pick up the set that doesn't fit. Now that's real customer service !! Very Happy
I have the same results with Summit Racing when there's a problem too!

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:03 pm

What covers (for what car) did they ship to you? That's good to hear they stand behind their sales.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:05 am

The '77 is different than the earlier years, like '76 back to '74, from what I can figure out. In the picture here of my '74 there is a chrome strip, or plate, on the end of the back rest, and the seat frame has the metal under there to fasten it to, whereas the '77 doesn't, just the vinyl there, with no frame under the end of the back rest.
Several items on a '77 are different than earlier years, like some of the fasteners are metric.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:50 pm

Why couldn't they just keep crap the same over a measly 5 year run? LOL.

77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:09 pm

Good question for sure........screw the metric system.......just more tools to have to buy when all the car makers switched. Since I worked on French built biz jets, (Dassault Falcons) when I worked full time, I had to buy a lot of metric stuff back in the 70's, so at least I had tools for late model cars in later years.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:23 pm

Today the replacement upholstery set arrived. And it's the right"stuff". And it's 20 bucks less than the first set. And the good part....it's made by PUI, a good brand. I may get time to recover the seat this weekend...... Very Happy .
The airplane inspection/repair project is taking all my time this week......

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:48 pm

Post up the part # please & thank you!!!!
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:15 pm

77mali....I assume you want the part number for front & rear seats ?? What type seat, front bench with arm-rest ?? And what color are you looking for ?
I had to buy some more hog-rings, and they arrived this afternoon. And since they arrived, I upholstered the passenger side back rest. I did the driver-side last week. Here's a pic of both......

interior parts P1011085

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:30 pm

Those look great!

I found a couple online- just want to make sure they are the same as yours, given the initial issue you had. Split bench w/ center arm rest & rear also- black.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:49 pm

Like I mentioned before, they have to be for a '77, since the backrests are not the same as earlier years.
The upholstery from NPD for mine is made by PUI. Very good quality. I re-covered the center arm rest a few minutes ago.
The bench seat bottom, which I took apart yesterday, has some surface rust on it where the seat foam lays on it. So today I took the frame to the local airport, where a friend is the manager, and he is gonna drop the frame off at a sand blasting place near his house, which would be a 25-mile drive for me. Probably get it back at the end of the week or next week.
Meanwhile, I'm waiting for more parts for the airplane I'm working on........ Rolling Eyes

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:06 pm

I just looked on the NPD site for front & rear for a '77, but couldn't find the rear seat uph. Calling them is always the best way anyway, when ordering upholstery.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:23 pm

My seat bottom frame is sand blasted, primed & painted, so I'm ready to put the cover on it. Airplane work is taking most of my time right now, but this weekend I should have the seat finished. I already cleaned the track mechanisms, and put a coat of spray-can blear on them.
I also re-covered the center arm rest, which turned out to be quite easy. The cover for it was exactly like the original.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:24 pm

Seat bottom was finished last week. Here's a pic........I'm not going to assemble the back rests to the bottom until I bolt the seat in. The whole seat is too heavy for me to handle.

interior parts P1011088

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next