G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Replacing quarter skins

3 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

Replacing quarter skins Empty Replacing quarter skins

Post by Trbulnc Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:21 pm

Anyone ever done this? I see all the skins say modifications required for 73. Just looking for tips or hints. Just need to do lower section and not the full panel so wasn't going remove it off the door rocker.

Trbulnc
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Replacing quarter skins Empty Re: Replacing quarter skins

Post by Joe73 Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:31 pm

Usually when you get quarters you will notice that the back end is cut kind of like on a 45 degree angle. That angle copies the tail light panel angle on a 74-77 car. 74-77 tail light panels bolt on to meet that angle. 73's had a "pointy" rear part of the quarter because it had a welded in tail panel. Just take a side view look at some chevelle pics and you'll see what I mean. If you putting the skin on a 73, you should leave a little "meat" on the car at the end of the quarter panel. That way you'll have something to weld to.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:20 pm

He is right the tail end section will not fir the 73 and the marker light was in a different location on my 73 in reference to the replacement panel.

Are you replacing the whole skin or just using sections out of it?

If you know how much you want to use from the new quarter then cut it out with about and inch or two larger. Slip it up over the original quarter and clamp it down or put a few screws init to hold it in place take a small cut off wheel and cut both the new and old panel at the same time on your line. Then when you remove the new skin and take out the old one you should end up with a nice but weld with just about the right gap for welding it up.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by Trbulnc Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:44 pm

Thanks. That is a really great tip on overlapping and then cutting them. Will save a bunch of time and fitting.

I just need to replace the lower half around the wheel well. Upper part and around the rear are good. Marker light is going to get filled so that is no biggie.

Trbulnc
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:24 pm

Just fyi. All vehicles 1968 and newer must have marker lights to be legal in the US. Alot of guys delete them only to find out later. Just FYI.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Permissions in this forum: