G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cutlass Wheel Bearings

4 posters

Go down

Cutlass Wheel Bearings Empty Cutlass Wheel Bearings

Post by itis34 Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:52 pm

I had my truck setting for a few weeks while I did some maintenance on it, so I drove my 77 Cutlass to work for about 6 weeks. It was fun but listening to a Pete Jackson gear drive for 1-1/2 hours a day can tend to wear on you after a while.

Anyway, last Friday while driving into work I noticed a slight pull on the steering wheel and started hearing something that sounded like I had a box caught between the tire and the wheel well. Then I started noticing a vibration on the left floor board. I shook it off and continued on.

The noise was still there on the way home. Once home, I grabbed the top of the both tires and pulled. I could feel some play in the right wheel but none in the left. I figured I would just repack the bearings quick. I needed the car to go to work again on Saturday morning. I repacked the right side, thought the bearings could stand to be replaced, but put it back together. It was getting late by this point and I almost didn't do the left wheel, but went ahead and tore into it. This is what I found

Cutlass Wheel Bearings IMG_1205

Digging deeper I took the bearing out in pieces

Cutlass Wheel Bearings IMG_1208

Luckily I caught it in time before it damaged the spindle.

So, the next morning I took the wife's car to work. I couldn't believe it that Advance Auto had rotors, bearings, and seals for a 1977 Cutlass. There were quite a few parts I had to wait for from them for '06 Silverado. Go figure...

itis34
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Cutlass Wheel Bearings Empty Re: Cutlass Wheel Bearings

Post by 77mali Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:59 pm

Jeez....makes me want to inspect mine. Good thing U caught that.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by w451973 Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:12 pm

Lucky you checked it and caught it in time.
w451973
w451973
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:20 pm

Advance auto seems to have about anything I need for A body years.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down