G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dash pads?? Ever have your dash pad repaired or do it yourself?

+6
stephen.macdglll
JiMi_DRiX
HDHugger
ant7377
JB2wheeler
Toms454s3
10 posters

Go down

Dash pads?? Ever have your dash pad repaired or do it yourself? Empty Dash pads?? Ever have your dash pad repaired or do it yourself?

Post by Toms454s3 Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:14 am

I know there was a company that refurbished old dash pads? Has anybody had this done before? I have a dash pad that is aftermarket and it looks very cheap. I think I would rather have the few cracks show.

Last edited by Toms454s3 on Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:15 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added info)
Toms454s3
Toms454s3
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Dash pads?? Ever have your dash pad repaired or do it yourself? Empty Re: Dash pads?? Ever have your dash pad repaired or do it yourself?

Post by JB2wheeler Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:05 am

If you have $1,000+ to burn, go here http://www.justdashes.com/index.html
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Dash pads?? Ever have your dash pad repaired or do it yourself? Empty Re: Dash pads?? Ever have your dash pad repaired or do it yourself?

Post by ant7377 Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:15 am

I have seen a few they did. Nice job.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by HDHugger Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:13 pm

Dash replacements is cheaper, but their work in not top-notch, and they keep your pad for way too long. Try Just Dashes. They will be a few hundred more, but you might just get your money's worth.

Check out the other thread on dash restore. You'll see the bad luck I had with Dash Replacements.

Those are the only 2 in the US. There is 1 more in Australia, but that would cost a whole bunch to ship it! And if you do send the dash in, I have a ready-made crate that I can sell you!!! It costed $65 to make the crate, but it was well worth it. Now we are storing car parts in it for the winter.

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:24 am

I did mine myself. Although this pad I fixed wasnt in terrible shape. The top of the pad was in nice condition. I fixed a spot on the defroster vent area, and some holes on the passenger side. I made a long post in an old thread a month or more ago with what I used. It was a 3M flexible filler.
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by stephen.macdglll Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:52 pm

a can of resin, a couple dozen razor blades, some fibreglass matt, a can of polyester filler, a long sanding board, high solid primer, vinvl texture coating, sem paint, and about 50 hours will do it........

stephen.macdglll
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Jedediah Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:34 pm

Has anyone talked to a upholstery shop on doing these? You can have vinyle put over you dash there is a great example on here some where..
Jedediah
Jedediah
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:34 pm

Laguna Budman's car got the leather treatment on the dash.

Looks good too.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:57 pm

If I had an extra dash to play with, I would try upholstering one. As it is, I'm going with the cap, like I did on my Malibu.

NPD has vinyl in bulk rolls for matching interior colors, for projects like that.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Dubie Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:44 am

What cap maker are you using? I bought one from Coverlay, it sucked. The vinyl pattern was the wrong texture & the openings were way off. Stay away from coverlay...they may make good pads for other cars but not for the 73-77 Malibu/Monte/El Camino. Just sayin'.

Dubie
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down