G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

replacement decals for cars

5 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

replacement decals for cars  Empty replacement decals for cars

Post by Limey SE Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:31 pm

http://www.osborn-reproduction.com/

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

replacement decals for cars  Empty Re: replacement decals for cars

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:53 am

Can somebody help remind me what the two obliterated engine decals in the center were? Yes I know I should have written it down years ago but I was uhh busy.

replacement decals for cars  Factor10
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:08 am

For reference, I'd comb a google search for 1976 Chevelle" or "1976 Malibu". Scour the pics for some survivor engine pics or junkyard part pics.

I found this one https://www.autoblog.com/2020/11/28/junkyard-gem-1976-chevrolet-malibu-classic-landau-coupe/

All US cars had the Federal Sticker showing engine size and timing specs. Most cars would also have a coolant decal. Possibly an air conditioning decal. Anything else I wold say had been installed somewhere in its life. Ive seen maintenance reminder stickers both long and short in style on the rad cover.

Good luck in your search.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:30 pm

Joe
I did do a search but found no consistency in the pictures. i guess you are alluding to this problem as well. I also searched some decal repro sites and couldn't get a clear idea from them either as to original decals. If these were add ons then I would just scrape them away. As best as I can remember the decals were GM but darn if I can remember what they said. They were not in great shape when I got the car many years ago.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:33 pm

I would just go with the federal emissions decal and the antifreeze decal if you had that one. As for the federal decal, if your a stickler for a correct piece, pay attention to he top left corner of the decal which has the two capitol letters. The capitol letters are vehicle specific as to engine and trans.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

76Chevelle2Tone likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:37 pm

Thank you very much Joe. That is helpful info. I do have the emissions decal.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jpowen49 Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:01 pm

I ordered my 76 Laguna in Oct of 75. This is the only sticker mine had on the cover.replacement decals for cars  100_3311
replacement decals for cars  100_3822My car was built at the Dorriville,Ga. plant
jpowen49
jpowen49
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:31 pm

Thanks jpowen. I can't remember unfortunately what the other two stickers were except that they weren't dealer or equipment stickers. It's possible one was a V8 firing sequence. Probably the dealership added discretionary GM stickers. My excuse is that back in the days when I bought the car no one thought too much about them. It was just love at first sight.  They weren't GTOs, G2 Chevys etc. On the East Coast more people got Olds Cutlass or Pontiacs  while the doctors got Buicks. Lower income or young folks did buy Novas with some frequency though.

Yes our cars are Doraville sisters. Mine is older than yours.

BTW your car appears to have A/C. Can you tell me where your A/C grommet is located on the firewall? I thought it might be the grommet behind the carburetor on mine.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jpowen49 Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:53 pm

My A/C is non functional at the time but I do have everything to get it going when I reassemble everything. I`m not sure what you are asking about a grommet on the firewall.
jpowen49
jpowen49
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:21 am

The A/C wire harness goes through a grommet on the firewall to the dash. I am just uncertain where it is located.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jpowen49 Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:44 am

This picture is from inside with the dash removed and the A/C unit laying in the floor. There are vacuum lines going through it. The accelerator cable is to the left.replacement decals for cars  100_3519 Is this the grommet your referring to.
jpowen49
jpowen49
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:08 am

Thank you very much. That is a nice clear picture. I am assuming that on the engine side this would be located near the center, sort of behind the carburetor. The plastic cable guide near the evaporator has several cables going through it. Two cables continue on to the drivers side while two go down through the firewall. It is so dusty there on my car that it is difficult to make out the grommet and the size of the opening. What was the approximate size of the grommet if you remember? Again thanks for this.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jpowen49 Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:30 am

I`m sorry I don`t know the size hole required for the grommet. I have already painted and replaced the firewall insulation. I didn`t replace the grommet I worked around it. In all of my searching for parts I have never found one listed .
jpowen49
jpowen49
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:34 pm

Thanks for your reply. Yes it's frustrating because I have found no direct mention of the A/C dash harness grommet either in the manuals but who knows what they call things.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:55 pm

[quote="76Chevelle2Tone"]Can somebody help remind me what the two obliterated engine decals in the center were? Yes I know I should have written it down years ago but I was uhh busy.

replacement decals for cars  Factor10[/

This is a piece that I pulled off a car somewhere, no idea what it came off of. It has original emissions label and an unknown sticker, probably not original.replacement decals for cars  Img_3410
replacement decals for cars  Img_3411
replacement decals for cars  Img_3412
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:08 pm

Joe73 wrote:I would just go with the federal emissions decal and the antifreeze decal if you had that one.  As for the federal decal, if your a stickler for a correct piece, pay attention to he top left corner of the decal which has the two capitol letters.  The capitol letters are vehicle specific as to engine and trans.  

Joe, is there a way to determine which two letter code goes to which engine? I bought a replacement decal for mine with the correct engine but don’t know if the code is correct.
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:27 pm

77camino wrote:
Joe73 wrote:I would just go with the federal emissions decal and the antifreeze decal if you had that one.  As for the federal decal, if your a stickler for a correct piece, pay attention to he top left corner of the decal which has the two capitol letters.  The capitol letters are vehicle specific as to engine and trans.  

Joe, is there a way to determine which two letter code goes to which engine? I bought a replacement decal for mine with the correct engine but don’t know if the code is correct.

77camino
There should be some abbreviated info right under the letter code which specifies the engine and carb barrels. But I think they are year specific and also CA specific. For example a 77 Camino with 350 and 4bbl is AY but for CA it is AZ.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:13 pm

jpowen49 wrote: I`m sorry I don`t know the size hole required for the grommet. I have already painted and replaced the firewall insulation. I didn`t replace the grommet I worked around it. In all of my searching for parts I have never found one listed .

I took a closer look at the grommet engine side since I now know where it is. The grommet appears fairly large maybe 1.5 inches - 1.75 inches. The opening is at least a half inch maybe slightly more. There seems to be a decided lip on one side of the grommet.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:26 pm

77camino wrote:

There has to be. But Id search the net or find someone with an intact sticker that has the same engine, carb and trans that you have and go with that code. But there are differences.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jpowen49 Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:00 pm

This is a picture of mine 76 350 cu in 2 bbl. ( LW ) Non California.replacement decals for cars  100_3312
jpowen49
jpowen49
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:32 pm

This is the reproduction decal I bought online for my 305.
replacement decals for cars  Img_3413

And this is a picture of a members here original 77 Malibu 305 decal
replacement decals for cars  Img_0110

It appears that I bought the correct one.
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down