G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

trivia time

+2
knightfan26917
JB2wheeler
6 posters

Go down

trivia time Empty trivia time

Post by JB2wheeler Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:45 pm

What is this car famous for? JB [img]trivia time 6210trivia time 6210trivia time 6210trivia time 6210V[/img]
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

trivia time Empty Re: trivia time

Post by ant7377 Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:31 pm

That is a 59 Impala that they claimed would lift at high speeds due to the design of the fins. I read an article that put it in a wind tunnel and found out it was bogus.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:19 pm

Sorry, you are wrong. This car was purchased at a car show by a crazy outfit that took the car and gave it a few select cuts thru the frame to weaken it and then crashed it head on into a new Chevy Malibu and the 59 folded up like an umbrella while the new Malibu appeared to be barely hurt. JB

JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by knightfan26917 Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:40 am

*sighs*

So much wrong in all of that.....

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * CruiseNites_2011_Chi.IL *
MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"What can you do?" __ Mickey Gilley __ 'Full Grown Fool'
knightfan26917
knightfan26917
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:36 am

Thats the same car !? Terrible ! But I am right and that is the rumor for a long time. Search it . Heres the article-

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3985500

ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:04 pm

Wait.... why did they take a car that clean to destroy & why did the owner allow it? Seems to me that he must have loved the car to keep it in such good condition & take it to shows. Suspect
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 Buick Century Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:11 pm

JB2wheeler wrote:Sorry, you are wrong. This car was purchased at a car show by a crazy outfit that took the car and gave it a few select cuts thru the frame to weaken it and then crashed it head on into a new Chevy Malibu and the 59 folded up like an umbrella while the new Malibu appeared to be barely hurt. JB

I HATE that clip with a passion. Not only is it a waste but anyone that has been around full size, full frame cars very well know they do not fold up like a deck of cards. I have had people tell me about how "unsafe" my '78 LTD, '73 Buick, and a few other cars I have had "well I saw this 50s car on youtube........." Jacking
1973 Buick Century
1973 Buick Century
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:56 pm

Those cars had a X frame,probably why it folded like that .They should have tried it with a 74 LeSabre and see what happens.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Biomedtech Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:01 pm

ant7377 wrote:Those cars had a X frame,probably why it folded like that .They should have tried it with a 74 LeSabre and see what happens.

x2

Personally totalled out a parked 74 LTD with my 73 Buick Electra. Collided at 25 mph in almost the exactly same way as "crash test"...

The LTD frame buckled and lifted the drivers side off the ground behind the drivers door... Scratched the chrome and pushed the bumper back by about an inch on my Battleship.
Biomedtech
Biomedtech
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down