G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Automatic console shifter button queston

4 posters

Go down

Automatic console shifter button queston Empty Automatic console shifter button queston

Post by Sam_snead01 Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:26 pm

My 74 has an automatic and console set up. It was missing the snap ring and clip in the knob and button for the shifter. I ordered these. It has the ss button on top of the knob. It seems that the button still pops out of the knob when in park for an unfinshed look, but it stays down in the knobe when in the gears. Is it commom for the button to pop up out of the knob in park

Sam_snead01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Automatic console shifter button queston Empty Re: Automatic console shifter button queston

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:30 pm

theres a square clip that goes up inside the push button. it holds the ss button on with little grippers.
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Automatic console shifter button queston Empty Re: Automatic console shifter button queston

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:38 pm

Not sure if you are describing that the button comes all the way out when in Park. But, it's normal for the button to protrude maybe 1/4" above the knob when in Park.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:59 pm

park button sticks out of knobAutomatic console shifter button queston Bpark10

drive button is flat with knobAutomatic console shifter button queston Bdrve10

first button is resest in the knobAutomatic console shifter button queston Bfirst10
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_snead01 Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:20 pm

yea it seems to come out may be 1/4 inch or just a tad more in park.....sometimes just a little bit to see under the button. So basically it is supposed to pop out some in park, fluch in drive and recessed in 1st. I did not know that. The shifter does shift hard and I have ordered a new cable for it. Would that cause it to maybe pop out a little more than normal?

Sam_snead01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_snead01 Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:22 pm

I already put a new snap ring and clip in it...but it still suck out just a little further in park than i think it should

Sam_snead01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:18 pm

Just checked the one on my '77 and it's right near 1/4" in Park. Same with the spare I have without a cable. Despite a sticky cable, when the shifter is moved into the Park position, it allows the shaft (it's spring tensioned) to snap upwards into a deeper notch than in the other positions. This is why the button sticks up further. Could the clip with the two protruding shafts that goes into the bottom of the button not be seated entirely? If it's after-market, could it be slightly longer than OEM? When you installed the button, did you make sure those protruding shafts were pinched and seated properly down against the shaft? Can't think of any other reasons.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_snead01 Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:59 pm

i'll double check but the clip had two grooves for the button...and two protruding circular machined things that looked like they fit into the holes on the shift shaft lever....then the snap ring of course....i'll check it out thanks for all the help.....

also...my driver's seat is a swivel bucket and it seems to have some play back and forth when locked into the forward position...i figured this is fairly common....but is there any way to stop it from moving back and forth?

Sam_snead01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:32 pm

The two OEM shafts on the button clip are flat metal prongs. Perhaps those circular ones on yours don't allow the button to seat exactly the same?

As for the play in the swivel seats, I assume you mean side-to-side play? Mine move maybe 1/8" each direction and, since my Monte is a low mileage original, I'm guessing it's normal for these style seats.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by HDHugger Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:56 pm

On the seats, the bar underneath that holds the seat in the locked position may be bent. Mine broke on the driver's side of my first car and it was also broke on the drivers side of the mounts I just picked up. A nice weld fixed it. You'll have to take the seat out to do it though. Check the passenger side first, see if it's the same amount of play. If they are different, I am guessing it's that bar.

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_snead01 Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:42 pm

Ok I think I figured out the issue with the button. After looking at the abouve pics it seems like actual black knob is different than the one pictured about. It is slightly different on the bottom....maybe this is the probem and if any one has one I will buy it. Also I think HDHugger is correct that the bar needs some welding or looking at....it moves more than an 1/8 in...it may be more like an inch or two. Thanks for all the help...and if anyone has that knob I will buy it. Thanks!

Sam_snead01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:29 pm

Sam_snead01 wrote:Ok I think I figured out the issue with the button. After looking at the abouve pics it seems like actual black knob is different than the one pictured about. It is slightly different on the bottom....maybe this is the probem and if any one has one I will buy it. Also I think HDHugger is correct that the bar needs some welding or looking at....it moves more than an 1/8 in...it may be more like an inch or two. Thanks for all the help...and if anyone has that knob I will buy it. Thanks!

my knob is a "73" only knob 74-77 was more egg shaped (rounder)
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down