G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vintage Auto Start

5 posters

Go down

Vintage Auto Start Empty Vintage Auto Start

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:03 pm

Vintage Auto Start 77mont11

Wondered if anyone had seen anything like this? This is a vintage Auto Start system that was installed on my '77 Monte way back when...possibly by the dealer when new. Made by a now-defunct company called Systematics here in the Twin Cities. The operation manual is dated 1967/68. This "high tech" system allowed the owner to set the box to automatically cycle the car on and off when cold outside in order to keep the cabin warm for the owner when out shopping, visiting, at work, etc. It could be set to read the block temp or cabin temp to determine when to start the car. Didn't even know this technology existed back then. I've never tried it. Gotta love those 60's style bulbs!

Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Vintage Auto Start Empty Re: Vintage Auto Start

Post by Limey SE Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:12 pm

wow that is kewl I want one

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:14 pm

Very cool!

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:52 pm

Cool stuff! Is it still in there. Id just leave the box for conversation. I saw that once in a Caddy for sale on ebay.A 77 Seville
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:55 am

Yeah...it's still in the car. One wire lead under the hood has popped off and I'm not quite sure where it's supposed to attach.

This company must have been ahead of it's time as I recently found a '73 Riviera that has what is called a SparkPak Model 2011 Discharge Ignition system made by them. The instructions were in the glove box and, from what I can tell, was designed to be an add-on to your existing points ignition that basically converted it to a High Energy ignition. Interesting stuff back then!
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:43 pm

Thats true.Some stuff at first glance you are saying "what the hell" but if you think about it with no computer chips and pretty basic electricals they had some neat stuff to put in your car. I remember another monte had a thing called a "car guard".You had to push 4 buttons in the right sequence or the car would not start. Have never seen another.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by knightfan26917 Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:32 pm

Holy cow is that cool.

I had NO idea that existed ... learn something new every day.

Heh ... and those with remote starts on brand new cars think they have something brand new and exciting.... Wink.

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * meet_07.30.11_Cold.Treat *
MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Gonna make some dreams come true" __ Hoyt Axton __ 'Della & the Dealer'
knightfan26917
knightfan26917
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:04 pm

Came across another very unusual "high tech" gadget from back in the day. This was made by a company called Trak-A-Matic in Mound, MN and was found mtd in a '75 Olds 98. I apologize for the piss-poor picture (something going on with my camera's focus), but it says Automatic Stabilization Control System across the bottom of the box. Has a rheostat dial, On-Off switch and the same space age On (green) and Off (red) bulbs (similar style as on the Auto Start on my Monte) to indicate it's activated. All the factory auto brochures/manuals were in the glove box, but nothing regarding what this does...or, how it works. Anyone ever seen one of these gizmos? How would something like this control your traction...presumably in ice/snow?

Vintage Auto Start 75olds10
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down