G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone got a t56 Monte?

3 posters

Go down

Anyone got a t56 Monte? Empty Anyone got a t56 Monte?

Post by 99B4C Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:56 pm

My Monte currently has a console shifted th350, but will have an aluminum LS 5.3 and t56 swapped in the future without the console.

I have searched, and cannot find a t56 swap in a 2nd gen Monte or any 73-77.

Any info would be appriciated.

Scott

99B4C
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Anyone got a t56 Monte? Empty Re: Anyone got a t56 Monte?

Post by knightfan26917 Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:13 pm

Hey Scott,

Hmm...I know of a few people who've did a T56 swap in 4th gen MCs, but not sure that would help you.....

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * meet_04.16.11_Dwight.IL *
MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"I can't take anymore" __ 3rd Eye Blind __ 'How's It Going To Be'
knightfan26917
knightfan26917
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by jerry46765 Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:15 am

I doing one right now in an '86 Elcamino, but not much different.

You will need a T56 out of a '92-'97 LT-1 Camaro Z-28 in order to run it behind a gen I small block or big block.

Get the bellhousing, clutch slave and pedals so you have something to work with.

You will have to move the crossmember back, shorten the driveshaft and massage the trans tunnel for the bulky gearbox.

The T56 also has a pulse speed sensor rather than a cable so you will need a converter.

My project is ongoing, but those are the big points.

Maybe some else has more details.

Thanks -

Jerry
jerry46765
jerry46765
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by jerry46765 Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:20 am

OK, stop... I didn't catch that you are tranplanting a 5.3...

Ls1Tech forums is your best bet.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids-28/
jerry46765
jerry46765
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 99B4C Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:48 pm

My biggest concern is if the trans tunnel in a 73-77 is large enough for a t56 without using a BFH on it.

I would like to have the 6 gears but may look at the new RS? 5 spd. from Tremec.

Thanks for the input.

99B4C
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by jerry46765 Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:52 pm

The trans tunnel was made for TH350-400s and Munices/Saginaws.
The T56 is a bulky transmission with internal shifter linkage, which makes it taller than other boxes.
Plan on massaging if you want a T56. It isn't an unbolt one and plug in another.

But then neither is a genIII 5.3L, which has a list of swap issues all it's own. Where do I start? Motor mounts, accessory brakets, oil pan clearance, frame clearance for accessories, radiator connections, throttle body inlet clearance with radiator, hood clearance, and a multitude of wiring.

Another another sidenote on the T56; I am making a completely new transmission harness for reverse lock-out, neutral start, and the back-up light switch. And this is on top of the speedometer pulse generator wiring (since the T56 doesn't do a speedo cable). It will drive without it, but it would be kind of ratty/incomplete without it.

Anyone know a vendor that could convert a cable speedo to pulse???

If you don't already, get the factory service manuals & wiring diagrams for the car you are swapping into, and the engine you are installing. You can use both manuals to determine how to combine harnesses so it will run without issues. If you are doing a carb, then you can skip some of the wiring.

Thanks -

Jerry

jerry46765
jerry46765
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down