G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your first time...

+13
michiganlarry
Joe73
74MonteCarlo
Limey SE
junk yard creeper
74chick
The Dude
pila
BlackChevelleSS
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
badbiscayne66
74Malibu383
JB2wheeler
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Your first time... Empty Your first time...

Post by knightfan26917 Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:29 pm

Simple questions:
When/Where was the first time you drove?
What did you drive?

For me:
August 1988, Holsopple PA
1979 Blazer (2-tone red/white)

While I was visiting my Aunt Thelma and Uncle Glen for a couple weeks, my Uncle Glen (who died 10 years later, the day the loan for my 1976 Monte Carlo was approved) took me with to do some errands. On the way back, instead of pulling into their driveway, he turned into the grassy field across the street, parked the Blazer and asked me if I wanted to drive. Naturally, I did. After that, my parents allowed me to move their '81 MC SC (now mine) out of the garage whenever we took that car.

Cort | 36.m.IL | 5 Monte Carlos.1 Caprice Classic | pig valve.pacemaker * Chicagoland Meets, 2011?
MCs.CC | models.HO.legos.CHD.RadioShows | RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"I've always seen myself as a hopeless romantic" ... Gary Morris & Crystal Gayle ... 'Another World'
knightfan26917
knightfan26917
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Your first time... Empty Re: Your first time...

Post by The Dude Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:42 pm

First time? 4 years old on my granddad's lap steering the wheel of his 72 Furd F-100. First time by myself....... when I was twelve, I got to drive my dad's 70 Chevelle down an old dirt road. That car would eventually become mine, get wrecked, & later burn to the ground in a freak accident leaf fire.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:50 pm

They were building the Interstate near us when I was 12 and had it graded and in gravel to prepare for paving and my dad let me drive his new 1953 Furd on the blocked off Interstate. He was, of course, Johnny on the spot beside me. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:30 pm

I was 5 sitting on my dads lap driving "my" malibu on some back dirt roads while camping. The next year he let me steer in the drivers seat while sitting in the middle bench seat working the pedals. Never forget that!
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:00 pm

FIRST TIME : For me was my uncles 1975 485 HP Laguna I was hooked at 13 should have seen my dads face when he seen I was the one loading my uncles race car onto the trailer LMAO

NEVER forget that day my uncle let me take it down the country road to the neighbors house man that was a blast woot woot

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by badbiscayne66 Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:41 pm

Your first time... BABYNSTOMACH
I WAS BORN DRIVEIN lol!
badbiscayne66
badbiscayne66
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:43 am

Love that animation. I almost made it my avatar a while back.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:03 pm

haha you guys are all way more exciting than mine...my mom and dad took me over to the high school parking lot and made me drive around my moms 76 volvo wagon for a little bit
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:15 pm

I was about 5 years old on my dads lap driving my moms old S10 Blazer 4x4 around my dads yard and through the fields

Your first time... SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by knightfan26917 Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:10 am

Rago wrote:...& later burn to the ground in a freak accident leaf fire.

Eeegads ... that doesn't sound pleasant. Sad

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |* Rt 66+northwestUS, 2011?
MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"I see our time has gotten stale" ... Eve 6 ... 'Inside Out'
knightfan26917
knightfan26917
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:47 am

I was living in Tulsa about an hour away when it happened. Dad was burning the woods like he does every year to knock down the tick population. Somehow some burning leaves blew under the car & caught a large pile on fire. That then caught something inside on fire & ignited the gallons of primer & thinner. Dad didn't tell me until I came home for a visit. Apparently it was quite the show. Sad I ran up to see the damage & noticed that the fire was so hot it MELTED the glass & entire roof!
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:29 am

The first "thing" I ever drove was a Farmall F12 tractor, in the late 30s Very Happy The first car was my dad's '28 Buick, during WW2. Hey, that's a long time ago! Very Happy

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by knightfan26917 Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:06 am

Rago wrote:Apparently it was quite the show. Sad I ran up to see the damage & noticed that the fire was so hot it MELTED the glass & entire roof!

Holy crap....... I'd ask for pics, but that might be too much to see.... Sad

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |
MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Everything is so messed up" ... Puddle of Mud ... 'Blurry'
knightfan26917
knightfan26917
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:27 am

No pics. I couldn't bear to look at it, let alone take pictures.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 74chick Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:21 pm

I was 12. My mom let me lose with her Mustang in the industrols. I think I scared her. She said I may want to slow down. I was doing 65 in a 35 zone with lots of turns. Smile
74chick
74chick
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by knightfan26917 Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:07 am

74chick wrote:I was 12. My mom let me lose with her Mustang in the industrols. I think I scared her. She said I may want to slow down. I was doing 65 in a 35 zone with lots of turns. Smile

Holy cow....talk about a fast moving lady Wink. lol

"Why didn't I know what I know now" ... Evan & Jaron ... 'Crazy For This Girl'
knightfan26917
knightfan26917
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by junk yard creeper Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:23 am

My first time was in 1982 at the Super 170 Drive In I was 11, Dad the manager was in loading a film Mom was board and asked if I wanted to drive their 1978 Pontiac Sun-bird 4 speed around the lot. So I got behind the wheel and stalled it twice, finally got it going putted around in 1st gear Mom then said go a little faster and shift to 2ond after a couple laps she told me to park at the refreshment stand / projection booth still in 2ond and not knowing any better I turned down the rows at 40 mph or so, then proceeded to slide between the speaker polls in a 4 wheel drift. Mom said vary firmly you were supposed to down shift before you turn Tommy.
junk yard creeper
junk yard creeper
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:24 am

LOL ^^^^ up there

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:00 am

I don't remember when it was, but my step grandpa, who really throughout my whole life has been like a real grandpa to me, wanted me to drive his black '99 Silverado on the dirt road around the schools behind their house.

That truck is the definition of "LIKE A ROCK". It has probably close to 300,000 miles, and still just as strong as it was in 1999. He also has a 1987 Cheyenne pickup, with even more miles.

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by knightfan26917 Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:11 pm

junk yard creeper wrote:Mom said vary firmly you were supposed to down shift before you turn Tommy.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*** 3rd GEN MC (1978,1979,1980) FORUM RE-LAUNCH > http://thirdgenmontes.proboards.com/index.cgi ***
"You can say there's no such thing as Santa" ... Elmo'N'Patsy ... 'Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer'
knightfan26917
knightfan26917
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:37 am

Mine would have been a '78 Pontiac Catalina (that would become my 1st car) dad let me drive it around the (empty) high school parking lot when i was 14. He gave it to me for my 15 birthday, so I had a year to bondo it up, install a cb radio, and all that other stuff that I thought was cool in 1990. Thumbs up
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:17 am

I drove my SS home, 4 speed, with no license, a couple of months prior to getting my license. Never drove a stick before.

I was practicing and took my road test in my grandfathers 1965 4 door box nova. 42,000 original miles. Road test was in 1983 because I failed the first time. LOL.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by michiganlarry Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:22 am

I started on my dad's 60 something Furd pickup with a 3 on the tree. Don't see those much anymore.
michiganlarry
michiganlarry
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Pontichev327 Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:57 am

When I was 13, I bought a 62 VW bug with no engine, and the neighborhood kids would all push each other up and down the street. That was my first time behid the wheel alone. I had steered my mom's 55 Chevy while sitting in her lap before, though! My actual first thing I drove was a 1954 Chevy pickup. Three on the tree AND a STARTER PEDAL!!! You younguns pobably don't know about using your heel and toe to start a vehicle, especially on a hill... LOL!! Shocked
Pontichev327
Pontichev327
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:05 am

MY brither had a 73 javlin with a 4 speed in it. He tught me to drive a stick in the curved driveway and mowed field by our house. That was my first time driving a stick. He brought home a 67 mustang fastback and I drover it all over the drive anf filed as we lived on a dead end. I was 13 then.

The first time I drove on the road was a 1967 Furd Fairlane with a 390 and 4 speed jacked way up with fat tires hanging out My Friend (Bug) had is brothers car (the Fairlane) and said do you want to drive it? I was 14 years old, So we went out of town on a asphalt roads. Swapped seats and I lit-um up and was slamming gears like I saw my big brother do all the time. By the time I was in 3rd he was yelling slow down. I said hang on I got it. Had it pegged before he knew what hit him. Got that cool feeling again just typing this Wow. I over herd him tell my brother one day that he taught me well. Big brother was proud of me. My Dad died when I was 5 so that's why Big brother was my hero and still is.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum