G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

73 CHEVELLE SS PICS

+33
alleyball4
Trbulnc
Pontichev327
Dubie
73 SS owner
JiMi_DRiX
ant7377
Brainstain
jerry46765
1973 454 MONTE
gpoetx
Malicruiser
Limey SE
Graham Perkins
JB2wheeler
1973chevelle
Tom77
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
McCauley5983
rogal_tx
pila
Jimmyracecar
The Dude
Biomedtech
A_Tame76
Fishgrinder
HDHugger
74chick
77malibu77
bigredlaguna
IndyG3
74MonteCarlo
74Malibu383
37 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

73 CHEVELLE SS PICS - Page 4 Empty Re: 73 CHEVELLE SS PICS

Post by ant7377 Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:51 am

Hey I saw your car at Lake George I was looking around for you but there wasn't anyone near the car. I cant believe you took it apart! Its very nice and clean! I'll catch up with you there next year.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:02 am

Holy crap Kris...did you remove the body to do the power train swap?
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:03 pm

G3NUT wrote:
JiMi_DRiX wrote:Looks awesome! Sounds good too!

How did you get the tach mounted to the column? and does it spin when putting the car into gear (floor shift)? I need to put a tach in my 76, but I want to make sure I do it right.

Thanks jimi_drix
Big clamp you can buy them at lowes or home depot. looks like a over sized hose clamp.
i cut a notch in the clamp for the ignition switch so i could slide it up past the part that turns.

Ah, alright, I think I get what youre saying. I really need to get one, but I've been wondering how to mount it. What tach do you have? I really like the style, and obviously the one you have fits on the column just right!
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by G3NUT Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:04 am

Joe73 wrote:I see the engine hoist in the trunk latch area. How did you go about lifting the body. I usually lay a 9' 4x4 on top of the cowl and put some rope around the door hinges on each side. Then a 10' 4x4 slides between the top of the frame and the top of the wheel well. I just have three guys lift at the tail light area and another slides the 4x4 in. Then 2 guys on each side of the wheel well lift and slide some cement blocks or ladders on each side for the 4x4 to rest on.

How did you go about lifting it off? Thanks

I use the engine hoist in the rear hooked to the trunk latch bracket to lift the rear off the frame. The front i jack up the frame and body put jack stands on the front of the the body were the fenders both on the bottom and let the frame down far enough so i can put a 4x4 across the front were the body mounts sit.
Then i stack blocks and put a jack on top of each side so i can jack up each side of the 4x4 till it is high enough to pull the frame out.
G3NUT
G3NUT
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by G3NUT Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:19 am

ant7377 wrote:Hey I saw your car at Lake George I was looking around for you but there wasn't anyone near the car. I cant believe you took it apart! Its very nice and clean! I'll catch up with you there next year.

I've had a frame restored and ready to put in the car for a while now. i was waiting for the season to be over to start the tear down and fix some spots on the floors and paint them.
Yeah i saw your car also. i was all over the place that weekend. eventually we will meet up. i'll see you there next year.
G3NUT
G3NUT
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by G3NUT Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:27 am

77mali wrote:Holy crap Kris...did you remove the body to do the power train swap?

No i have another frame all restored to go under it i will post some pics of the frame soon.
I just picked up a 6.0 ls engine to rebuild for the chevelle but i just found out tonight that the block is cracked i noticed it while i was tearing it down.
So...i think i'm just going to freshen up the ls1 bearings,rings,rod bolts,cam,heads etc. etc.
How are you making out with your project?
G3NUT
G3NUT
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by G3NUT Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:34 am

[quote="JiMi_DRiX"][quote="G3NUT"]
JiMi_DRiX wrote:Looks awesome! Sounds good too!

Ah, alright, I think I get what youre saying. I really need to get one, but I've been wondering how to mount it. What tach do you have? I really like the style, and obviously the one you have fits on the column just right!
It's a auto gauge made by auto meter 3 3/4 inch
G3NUT
G3NUT
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:34 am

thanks for the reply. I've lifted so many bodies but was always leary of that trunk latch as a hook up area. Alot of weight on those tack welds. But I see it works. Nice job.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:06 pm

G3NUT wrote:
77mali wrote:Holy crap Kris...did you remove the body to do the power train swap?

No i have another frame all restored to go under it i will post some pics of the frame soon.
I just picked up a 6.0 ls engine to rebuild for the chevelle but i just found out tonight that the block is cracked i noticed it while i was tearing it down.
So...i think i'm just going to freshen up the ls1 bearings,rings,rod bolts,cam,heads etc. etc.
How are you making out with your project?

Slow but sure- it'll get there eventually. Hopefully it will be as nice as yours is.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 73 SS owner Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:38 am

Nice to see one done, looks awesome! I am almost there as well! Still looking for some specific parts, mainly window trim rear. Another one saved from the scrap yard.

73 SS owner
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by G3NUT Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:51 pm

73 SS owner wrote:Nice to see one done, looks awesome! I am almost there as well! Still looking for some specific parts, mainly window trim rear. Another one saved from the scrap yard.

Thanks 73ss owner,
I might have some window trim in my shed. let me know what you need and i'll look.
G3NUT
G3NUT
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by G3NUT Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:01 pm

I took this week off from work so i could get the new frame in. i had to graph the rear part of my old frame onto the new one because the new frame is from a 76 lemans and it was different than a 73.
I should have taken pics along the way but i was more focused on getting it done because i only have a 1 bay garage and i was doing all of the work outside (trying to beat the weather).
It's now under the car but is not sitting on the frame yet still waiting for the mounts to come from the parts place.
Here's some pics i just took tonight.
73 CHEVELLE SS PICS - Page 4 00310
73 CHEVELLE SS PICS - Page 4 00210
73 CHEVELLE SS PICS - Page 4 00411
G3NUT
G3NUT
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:42 pm

Looks awesome. I can't believe how good the underside of the body looks in the back- looks brand new. Mine is a rust bucket back there!

Whose control arms did go with in the rear?
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 73 SS owner Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:05 am

G3NUT wrote:
73 SS owner wrote:Nice to see one done, looks awesome! I am almost there as well! Still looking for some specific parts, mainly window trim rear. Another one saved from the scrap yard.

Thanks 73ss owner,
I might have some window trim in my shed. let me know what you need and i'll look.

G3, I mispoke, I am looking for the large trim piece that goes around the base of where the viynl top would be and the piece that goes over the roof at where the front of the viynl top is. When the car was repainted years ago, the body shop told me they bent those pieces during tear down so the threw them away. They replaced it with a plain white moulding.

I am also in the need for the small opera window molding pieces again it would seem. I had purchased new chrome trim that I believed would fit but found out they will not. My window measures 7" at the bottom, 10" on the sides, and 5" at the top. The set I have is about 1" larger all the way around. I think they are for the monte window.

Keep us updated on your build, it looks great. Hopefully I will get some pics of mine up soon.

73 SS owner
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by G3NUT Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:05 pm

77mali wrote:Looks awesome. I can't believe how good the underside of the body looks in the back- looks brand new. Mine is a rust bucket back there!

Whose control arms did go with in the rear?

Thanks Paul.
hotchkis uppers and lowers.
I also have a set of spohn adjustable uppers that i think i'm going to put in instead of the hotchkis.
G3NUT
G3NUT
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dubie Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:46 pm

Very nice work! What are the specs on your rims & tires? Love the look.
Thanks.

Dubie
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by G3NUT Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:48 pm

Dubie wrote:Very nice work! What are the specs on your rims & tires? Love the look.
Thanks.

Thanks Dubie.
boss 338 18x8 245 45 and 18x9.5 285 40
G3NUT
G3NUT
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:48 pm

Kris did you have to modify the suspension for those rims? I've been looking at larger rim/tire combos to fill in the large wheel wells eventually but would like to keep the suspension as "period correct" as I can (or at least as close as possible).
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:59 pm

77mali, I took a look at this tire chart

http://www.wheelcityusa.com/tires/chart.htm

and it shows that a 245/40/18 is only 26.98 inches in diameter. So I think you would be very "period correct". Normal tire diameters back in the day use 26 inches as an average diameter. I believe when ordered rear end gears, they also use 26 inches as the average to get the ratio your looking for.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:08 pm

Cool find Joe, Thanks!
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by G3NUT Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:25 pm

77mali wrote:Kris did you have to modify the suspension for those rims? I've been looking at larger rim/tire combos to fill in the large wheel wells eventually but would like to keep the suspension as "period correct" as I can (or at least as close as possible).

No modifying needed.
I just bolted them on.
G3NUT
G3NUT
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Pontichev327 Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:57 pm

I have had my Boss 338's for almost 4 years now. They seem to hold up very well, except I find the polished rim seems a little soft and scratches easily. Mad I have all 4 in 18x8's, but that is all they sold when they 1st came out and that's when I got "em. I love the look of the 18x 9.5's on the rear. I wanted to get another set like that too, but i just can't afford them yet. Mine have the grey center.[img]73 CHEVELLE SS PICS - Page 4 Pavill12[/img][img]73 CHEVELLE SS PICS - Page 4 Grand_10[/img]
Pontichev327
Pontichev327
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Trbulnc Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:29 pm

When you lifted your body off, how did you get the frame out from under it with the engine hoist in the back and blocks up front? I can't figure it out.

Trbulnc
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by alleyball4 Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:59 pm

wheel dollies .... harbor freight has them for cheap. They go under each tire, and you can roll your car whatever direction you need
alleyball4
alleyball4
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Trbulnc Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:26 pm

I'm on dollies too but what I can figure is how will the frame roll out from under the body. If you have block and 4x4 across the front it can't come out sideways or front to back due to wheels being outside the block

Trbulnc
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next