G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So here's the engine...

+4
The Dude
JB2wheeler
badbiscayne66
Famstyle
8 posters

Go down

So here's the engine... Empty So here's the engine...

Post by HDHugger Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:09 pm

So here's the engine... Chevel13

So here's the engine... Chevel14

Looking for someone to give it a once over, It ran in Michigan, ran again to get it one the car hauler, then it quit and the seller had to hold the choke open and pour gas in it. When it arrived, started fine on the hauler, then when put into gear, it stalled out and wouldn't start again. We killed the battery trying. It has a gauge next to the fuel filter to adjust the flow or mixture or something, I am clueless on the gauge! Pushing it into the storage space wasn't what I envisioned for my first "ride" in my new car, and now I remember just how heavy the thing is! Anyway, does anyone live near Jackson, Wisconsin??

Last edited by Limey on Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:10 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Typos)

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

So here's the engine... Empty Re: So here's the engine...

Post by Famstyle Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:05 pm

sssssounds like a fuel pressure gauge. it measures the pressure only. reset the timing, starting with going too top dead center. I'd try new plugs and freash gas also.
Famstyle
Famstyle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by badbiscayne66 Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:18 pm

I SEE IT HAS A CLEAR FILTER.......SHOULD BE ABLE TO SEE GAS!!!!
ALSO LOOKS LIKE EDELBROCK CARB .................NOT MY 1ST CHOICE
badbiscayne66
badbiscayne66
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:42 am

OIbviously its not getting gas. You need to start at the tank and work forward to see where the problem lies. Believe it or not, I have a 78 Elky in my garage right now that has a simular, but less severer problem. I have to pour gas in it to get it to run and once its running it works fine. My problem is the carb and I have had other priorties and it has been sitting waiting for me to get off ...the couch and check it out. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by HDHugger Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:54 am

I don't think it'll be too much of a problem getting it started again, once we charge the battery and get fresh gas. I didn't see gas or smell any by the carb, so I am guessing that it wasn't getting enough gas. It was too cold out to mess with it anymore that night, but once it gets a bit warmer, we'll get it going. I better read up on those gauges by the filter though. I want to know exactly where they need to be set to regulate the flow properly, or if I will have to adjust it every now and then. Of course my son pointed out that maybe the gauge in the dash isn't working right and it could be out of gas. Smartass kids!

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:54 pm

HDHugger wrote:.......Of course my son pointed out that maybe the gauge in the dash isn't working right and it could be out of gas.

Sad thing is, he might be right. Gauges have been known to stick on these cars & going off of your description it sounds plausible. The reason it could have started up again on the hauler is because it might have still had just enough fuel in the bowl to fire up & then ran itself dry again. Dump some gas in the tank & a little bit into the carb. If it doesn't start after that I would check the pump. I wouldn't mess with the regulator though. The engine looks like someone invested some time in it. Did you get any specs on compression, cam, heads, etc.?
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by HDHugger Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:36 pm

No, I am trying to track down the guy who had the work done. Found 2 names on facebook that may be a match, but no response yet. I would like to get the blueprints for the motor. If he could jsut give me the name of the shop, that would be a start.

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:54 pm

Your fuel pressure should be set at 6-7 PSI. Once you set it (assuming) it's full of gas, you shouldn't have to touch it again.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by HDHugger Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:16 pm

Thanks for the info! I'm sure it will help. Next time I go out there I will be taking 5 gallons of premium. Gotta make sure I can keep her running before I pull her out, cuz I sure don't want to push her back in again!

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:54 am

My stuck gauge turned out to simply be a blown fuse.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by alowerlevel Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:15 am

It also looks like it has one of those horrible Mr gasket fuel pressure regulators. Which I would get rid of.

So here's the engine... 123410

http://www.mr-gasket.com/ProductDetails.aspx?modelNumber=9710&productID=312&majID=220&minID=2206&selection=5&minselection=3
alowerlevel
alowerlevel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:39 am

Yeah, if it's a stock fuel pump on the motor, you don't even need a regulator.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by alowerlevel Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:55 pm

Even if its a aftermarket mech pump you shouldnt need a reg, especially that one. Besides it only adjusts from 1-6 psi which is pointless
alowerlevel
alowerlevel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down