G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seat Belts

4 posters

Go down

Seat Belts Empty Seat Belts

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:08 pm

Bunch O questions-
1. No seat belts in the back- Plan to ride the girls (4 and 6) around back there in booster seats, Lots of choices, leaning toward the 3 point non-retractables, but not sure how to mount them.
Anybody done this? Ideas on the best mounting point for the shoulder strap bolts?
(LIMEY- pay attention, you'll need to know this soon enough)

2-swapping out the bench for swivels, will need to change the belts. Want the three point retractable bucket type up there to replace the current 3 point retractable bench belts-Can anybody recommend a brand? Googled and came up with several companies that had the metal buckles very similar to the GM original push buttons. Can't tell if the retractor will fit in the original position, and i don't want to chop anything up.

I checked around for used GM belts, found a few, but don't want to risk the younguns on 35-40 year old belts and retractors.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Seat Belts Empty Re: Seat Belts

Post by orange Juiced Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:19 pm

I got my orange seat belts from here! http://www.gotbelts.com/index.html At the time they only had the black push button belts, but now they have the star burst metal ones. they come in lap belts and lap/shoulder belts, and retractable and non-retractable.

Seat Belts Yhst-4085386745764_2081_5886415

colors swatches

Seat Belts Yhst-4085386745764_2081_7265888

The front seat belts did not fit the stock location. I had to make a bracket to bolt up, but its an eye sore. thinking of swapping them out to lap belts, anyways this is how they look.

Seat Belts Yhst-4085386745764_2084_364534
orange Juiced
orange Juiced
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:00 pm

Hey cap I am good on belts brother switching to bench seat in the El Camino they were NOS included with Limey so all good there brother

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:10 pm

Juiced-

When you say the fronts didn't fit the stock location, do you mean where the retractor bolts in?
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:03 pm

I ride my 3, 5, & 6 year olds in the back of mine with just the lap belts & boosters. The 6 year old doesn't use a booster since he's legally old enough not to need one, but regardless it seems to work better than the 3 points that newer cars have. I just don't like the way 3 points come up on kids' faces or you just end up tucking them behind the seat anyways. On the 3 year old's full booster, there is a loop that is specifically made just for lap belts & it feels VERY secure when you tighten it up. Thumbs up

Call me old fashioned...... call me crazy...... but I think lap belts properly secured to the base of a full harness booster is more than adequate. I do agree to get new belts though, if for nothing else than safety. You wouldn't bungee jump with a 15 year old strap, you wouldn't skydive with a 20 year old parachute, why would you trust your children's safety with 30+ year old seat belts? OK, that's enough of my rambling for now.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:24 pm

You are right about the booster, IF it has the shoulder straps in the seat- My boosters are just the little seats that raise them up high enough for the lap belts to be effective and to get them up where the vehicles shoulder belt crosses their shoulder. If I hit something head-on with just the lap belts back there(EEK) they would bend in half like a slinky, nothing to restrain their upper bodies. Don't want their little faces to smack the back of the fronts seats. The boosters I have are very effective if the car is equipped with back seat three pointers-they work great (and as recommended by NHTSA and the manufacturer) in my Explorer.
My wife has the full child restraint seats in her 4runner, they are about to outgrow them anyway. I'm just thinking that the 3 point non-retractable can be tightened manually and would hold them securely as they grow.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by orange Juiced Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:06 pm

Roadcaptain S3 wrote:Juiced-

When you say the fronts didn't fit the stock location, do you mean where the retractor bolts in?

yes the retracting part did not bolt up, its too short. These take 2 bolts as the stocks, the stock ones are more of a rectangle shape and the new ones are box shape. I bolted one side, and made a plate to extend it to the other hole.
orange Juiced
orange Juiced
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down