G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

rear drum to disc conversion

+14
The Dude
Limey SE
McCauley5983
Roadcaptain S3
74Malibu383
pila
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
Malicruiser
JB2wheeler
Fishgrinder
Cdub74
jonny o
BlackChevelleSS
coreys73chevelle
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

rear drum to disc conversion - Page 2 Empty Re: rear drum to disc conversion

Post by The Dude Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:25 am

billy-ray wrote:ive heard that disk brakes on the rear on mostly for asthetics purposes aand that drums do the same job since the proportionong valve is gonna adjust them to work the same regardless. the only difference ive really noticed is that the disk brakes lock up quicker than drum but both do equal job of stopping

Gotta buy an adjustable proportioning valve & adjust it out. The stock one is set up for disc front/drum rear so it isn't gonna work right with four wheel discs.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:50 am

Rago wrote:
billy-ray wrote:ive heard that disk brakes on the rear on mostly for asthetics purposes aand that drums do the same job since the proportionong valve is gonna adjust them to work the same regardless. the only difference ive really noticed is that the disk brakes lock up quicker than drum but both do equal job of stopping

Gotta buy an adjustable proportioning valve & adjust it out. The stock one is set up for disc front/drum rear so it isn't gonna work right with four wheel discs.

Exactly. All the good rear kits come with an adjustable valve to mount in-line with the rears.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:07 pm

Rago wrote:Should be a bolt on ordeal since the Caprice shares much of the same parts. Rockford would be the guy to ask though.

The WHOLE rear end is pretty much a bolt on deal, 91-96 Caprice and 94-96 Impala SS.
The 90s B-body is just an updated 70s A-body.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by McCauley5983 Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:18 pm

what is an adjustable proportioning valve gonna do different. if the drum brakes are adjusted properly the rear should lock up first, and then the front end is supposed to lock up, to keep the weight off the front end as much as possible. plus you dont have to worry about warping drums
McCauley5983
McCauley5983
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:52 am

billy-ray wrote:what is an adjustable proportioning valve gonna do different. if the drum brakes are adjusted properly the rear should lock up first, and then the front end is supposed to lock up, to keep the weight off the front end as much as possible. plus you dont have to worry about warping drums

Drum & disc brakes need different pressures. To maintain the pressures correctly, you need to set up a P-valve. I always thought you would want the front to lock up first forcing more weight onto the main braking tires & stopping you quicker. Maybe I'm wrong on that one though.

Roadcaptain S3 wrote:
Rago wrote:Should be a bolt on ordeal since the Caprice shares much of the same parts. Rockford would be the guy to ask though.

The WHOLE rear end is pretty much a bolt on deal, 91-96 Caprice and 94-96 Impala SS.

I meant the ABS stuff, not sure why I responded that way though. scratch Guess I'm confusing myself.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:52 am

Rago wrote:
billy-ray wrote:what is an adjustable proportioning valve gonna do different. if the drum brakes are adjusted properly the rear should lock up first, and then the front end is supposed to lock up, to keep the weight off the front end as much as possible. plus you dont have to worry about warping drums

Drum & disc brakes need different pressures. To maintain the pressures correctly, you need to set up a P-valve. I always thought you would want the front to lock up first forcing more weight onto the main braking tires & stopping you quicker. Maybe I'm wrong on that one though.

Roadcaptain S3 wrote:

I meant the ABS stuff, not sure why I responded that way though. scratch Guess I'm confusing myself.
rear drum to disc conversion - Page 2 978692 who needs the coffee this morning to get his brain working again LOL

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:31 pm

I do! Sleep
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:53 pm

Rago wrote:

This link explains the operation of the proportioning valve and other related valves/meters as well as I could.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/brakes/brake-types/master-brake2.htm

The benefits of disc brakes vs drum on the rear are the same as for the front, though to a lesser degree.

They are not affected as much by water, dissipate heat faster, have simpler operation, and drums must have the same diameter on both sides or your car will pull to one side or the other or lock up one side.

I don't mind having drums, but I do want to have discs simply for the ease of maintenance. Seems like I always have to look at the opposite side for reference when putting things back together on the first side.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by Jedediah Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:29 am

There is a kit on Ebay for under 500.
Jedediah
Jedediah
G3GM Member