G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

77 Malibu VIN locations?

3 posters

Go down

77 Malibu VIN locations? Empty 77 Malibu VIN locations?

Post by MichiganMuscle77 Sat May 20, 2023 5:36 pm

Looking at a 77 Malibu but the vin plate under the windshield is missing. Where else might it be found?

MichiganMuscle77
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

77 Malibu VIN locations? Empty Re: 77 Malibu VIN locations?

Post by Joe73 Sun May 21, 2023 6:07 am

Look to see if the Federal Sticker is still on the drivers door near the latch. The vin is listed on it. But remember, that federal sticker can be reproduced. I dont know about the 77 but there is a partial vin stamped into the firewall behind the my blower fan. That one would entail removing a lot of parts to get to it if the car has AC.

If you looking to put the car on the road, depending on what state the title is from and what state you would want to register it in, it could be very difficult. Any vehicle without a originally affixed and displayed VIN number is an "altered VIN" car. Most states have procedures to acquire a new VIN for the vehicle similar to the procedures of getting a vin for a kit car. In NY, if a car is stolen and the vin changed/replaced (they usually put a computer generated sticker over it) or removed you can bring the car to the DMV Investigation Unit for examination. Upon confirming the engine, trans and any other numbers on the vehicle arent stolen, they issue a new VIN which is actually a self destruct set of decals. They are placed on the drivers door jamb, engine, trans, rear end (unless FWD) and frame. In NY they are bright yellow and have a number that starts with NYXXXXXX followed by six digits.

So if your looking to register it, Id do some good homework as how to do it. Good luck with it.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Sun May 21, 2023 11:13 am

FWIW, I pulled the A/C suitcase of my '73 for some repairs & cleaning and spent some time looking for a VIN in the firewall. I couldn't locate one. I guess it depended on what plant made the car if there will be a VIN there.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun May 21, 2023 11:59 am

Could be.  Here is where I found my partial vin on my 73.  

77 Malibu VIN locations? Vin_lo12
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down