G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hubcap wheel cover flapdoodle

4 posters

Go down

hubcap wheel cover flapdoodle Empty hubcap wheel cover flapdoodle

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:35 pm

Another fine mess I got into but I'm just a victim of circumstance.

The hubcaps I have come with a center insert. The center insert I have is just a cheap laminated cardboard paste-on which fades quickly colorwise. Oddly the paste on covers two holes in the center presumably meant for something else. So I found good looking plastic inserts with the exact same design which have two posts on the back. Aha says I this is perfect. So I get a couple of these quality inserts and lo and behold the posts don't match the holes in the hubcap. Huh? Can anyone explain?

paper insert
hubcap wheel cover flapdoodle Maibu-hubcap-3080

plastic insert front
hubcap wheel cover flapdoodle 008

plastic insert back with posts
hubcap wheel cover flapdoodle 010

hubcap center with predrilled holes covered by paper insert
hubcap wheel cover flapdoodle 012
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

hubcap wheel cover flapdoodle Empty found some info on the hubcap emblem

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:24 pm

Apparently this fits gm hubcap cover 463226. The emblem is part number 463227. I haven't been able to find a clear photo of the front and back of the hubcap 463226. Does anyone have one of them? It was a simulated spoke style. You can see a drawing at the followng url:

https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm-cover-asm-whl-tr-463226.html
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

hubcap wheel cover flapdoodle Empty Re: hubcap wheel cover flapdoodle

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:50 pm

I can't get you a photo of the correct hubcap, but this info from the 1977 Chevrolet Parts Illustration manual will help to confirm what you've found out. First and foremost, the simulated wire-wheel hubcaps are shown on the top row (#2 & #4 left to right). Illus. #2 is for 1977 "A" bodies and #4 for 1977-1981 "B" bodies (Caprice, Impala) (since this manual begins coverage for 1977 model year, it wouldn't include 1976...which I'm sure is the same). Anyway, both #2 and #4 carry the same pt # 463226, but only #2 shows emblem insert #463227. Your existing hubcap appears to be the one illustrated between those two and calls for emblem insert #361390.

hubcap wheel cover flapdoodle Abodyh10
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

76Chevelle2Tone likes this post

Back to top Go down

hubcap wheel cover flapdoodle Empty thanks but the predrilled holes are a mystery.

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:14 pm

Thanks for the catalog info. It seems that the cheap laminated paper insert is correct for my hubcap but then it is really puzzling why there would be predrilled holes for a glued paper insert. Was this hubcap used on non Chevy models with a different solid insert with posts? That's the only thing that would make sense. Of course Chevy could have made the solid insert with that post spacing but didn't.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:48 pm

I can't find any reference to your existing hubcap being used on anything other than Chevrolet Malibu. I did see that Oldsmobile Obsolete has a NOS emblem insert and you are correct in that it looks from the flat wrapper it's in that it has no pegs on the back. Agree, it is odd that there are mtg holes, though.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

hubcap wheel cover flapdoodle Empty saw a 463226 hubcap on ebay

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:59 pm

It is tricky to find listings on ebay because of the search term sensitivity but I believe this is one but with Monte Carlo emblem. Not sure if that is a Frankenstein or if they were actually used on these style hubcaps as well as Chevelle. Unfortunate a tape measure obscures the back shot but I believe I see one post hole above it.

hubcap wheel cover flapdoodle Hubcap463226-front

hubcap wheel cover flapdoodle Hubcap463226emblem

hubcap wheel cover flapdoodle Hubcap463226-back
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:15 pm

hubcap wheel cover flapdoodle F75b8910
Does not have the Malibu logo but this is shown as a hubcap option in the 1977 El Camino dealer album
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

hubcap wheel cover flapdoodle Empty have seen similar

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:31 pm

Thanks 77camino. Yes I have seen a few with bowtie insert? I am not sure if the center Chevy logo attaches to the hubcap in the way my Chevelle plastic insert would. In other words whether it is a paste on, is integral to the center hub or attaches via 2 posts to pre drilled holes. The hubcap type seems to be fairly rare though, significantly more than my style displayed above which is not exactly common either IME
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:03 am

This one is currently for sale on eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233927491270?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=KdGdMUBYS6a&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=XCaKMidBRlC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

hubcap wheel cover flapdoodle 2c372c10
hubcap wheel cover flapdoodle A7b06c10
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

hubcap wheel cover flapdoodle Empty ebay hubcap

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:43 am

Thanks. Ebay is very frustrating because I used search terms where that should have at least appeared but didn't for me or it was very far down. However the hubcap is so banged up even in back that I'm not able to clearly distinguish where the post holes are.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

hubcap wheel cover flapdoodle Empty found another in better condition

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:51 pm

I queried the seller and yes this hubcap has the correct narrower spaced holes ~1 inch. Thanks for everyone's assistance.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:50 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:I can't find any reference to your existing hubcap being used on anything other than Chevrolet Malibu.  I did see that Oldsmobile Obsolete has a NOS emblem insert and you are correct in that it looks from the flat wrapper it's in that it has no pegs on the back.  Agree, it is odd that there are mtg holes, though.

This one is on a 76 Monte Carlo

hubcap wheel cover flapdoodle Fb_img16

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

hubcap wheel cover flapdoodle Empty at least 3 plastic inserts for this fake wire hubcap

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:06 pm

Yes on my Aug 27 post I showed a picture of the cap with Monte Carlo insert so I strongly suspected Monte Carlo owners could get this. There is also a chevy bowtie insert and of course the Chevelle insert I have that started this whole flapdoodle. Don't know if other makes used it.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:58 pm

76Chevelle2Tone wrote:

Yes on my Aug 27 post I showed a picture of the cap with Monte Carlo insert so I strongly suspected Monte Carlo owners could get this. There is also a chevy bowtie insert and of course the Chevelle insert I have that started this whole flapdoodle. Don't know if other makes used it.

That Post with the Monte Carlo was for Mcarlo77 he said he never seen a Monte Carlo with one

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:08 pm

Limey SE wrote:

That Post with the Monte Carlo was for Mcarlo77 he said he never seen a Monte Carlo with one

Yes I understood that. I was just noting for people that the actual Monte Carlo insert was posted earlier in the thread.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

hubcap wheel cover flapdoodle Empty found a decent fake wire hubcap

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:48 am

Just for the record I found a very good condition single hubcap with the indicated fake wire design. The hubcap is rather unusual in  that the design is made of plastic except for the perimeter and center hub. The hubcap I got had a Chevy bowtie emblem which took a bit of a struggle to get off. I didn't want to damage the insertion holes.Eventually I got the bowtie emblem off and put the Chevelle insert on.

When I find a second fake wire hubcap I will install on the passenger side. I do have a second Chevelle plastic emblem as in the picture. But these are also hard to find.

hubcap wheel cover flapdoodle Chevy-hubcap-fake-wire-3

hubcap wheel cover flapdoodle Chevy-fake-wire-hubcap2

Old bowtie emblem removed
hubcap wheel cover flapdoodle Chevy-fake-wire-hubcap-4
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:57 pm

I went out to go through the collection of dealer albums that my father has collected between the 1940’s through the 90’s and found a 77 Malibu to go along with the 77 El Camino and 77 Monte Carlo that I already had. All 3 show the hubcap available with different emblems.

hubcap wheel cover flapdoodle Fb5a3110

hubcap wheel cover flapdoodle D9cf3f10
hubcap wheel cover flapdoodle 9f5c8110
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

hubcap wheel cover flapdoodle Empty tip of the hat to your Dad

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:16 am

My Dad was not much of a car buff. Now if the dealer albums had thought to rhapsodize about the hood ornaments that would ice the cake haha.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:34 am

I looked at all the pictures in the dealer album and from what I can zoom in on, it looks like all the cars have the open ring hood ornament.
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:06 am

It was as much about the wheels as it was the styling of the car back then.  Thought you'd get a kick out of this original unused spare I found in the trunk of a '76 Cadillac Fleetwood (hubcap was off one of the outer wheels).  Vogue brand date coded March of '76. Still looks like new.

hubcap wheel cover flapdoodle 76flee10
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

hubcap wheel cover flapdoodle Empty mystery hood ornament

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:20 pm

I looked on the underside of the mystery hood ornament but did not see a part number. As I noted I have only seen a few in the central Midwest out to Missouri /Iowa. My car was made in Doraville and the car was sold in Tennessee. It was early in the production run too. I would like to find a part number for it, but I suspect it was removed from the system for the ring version.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:12 am

CREDIT FOR FINDING goes to 1973 454 Monte thanks Buddy

hubcap wheel cover flapdoodle S-l500

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165050960454?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=sz_w9xN7Rbu&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=CA8O-ViMRb2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY&fbclid=IwAR1dsT_ehMOviWUTVYxodih1R2bwq7FKDnZ4_MncIyS-_jambMVntpQ47pk

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:13 pm

Doing a little further research. Both of the hubcaps in question at the top of this post are 77 only. This is what the dealer album shows available on a 76.

hubcap wheel cover flapdoodle E5c2e410
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

hubcap wheel cover flapdoodle Empty never have seen the third hubcap before on a G3 chevelle

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:33 pm

I found what looks to be that style hubcap on ebay which did say 71-76 Monte Carlo, Chevelle Camaro Nova . The part number is 252009. Not sure also about the use of the plural for full wheel, rally and wire wheel covers and whether that means multiple versions. The first photos posted were on the car when I bought it (second owner) so either they were available in 76 or the original owner for some reason got them later.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

hubcap wheel cover flapdoodle Empty stubborness

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:10 pm

Well I took matters in my own hands so to speak.

To recap GM drilled two holes in the Hubcap center even though they put a lo class tin foil hubcap emblem over it. The holes of course did not fit their hi class metal and plastic emblem.

So drill meet hubcap. Results Drill 2 Hubcap 0. This was very tricky as the correct spaced holes are very close to the inside curve of the wide spaced holes.

hubcap wheel cover flapdoodle Chevel10

Back side of the Drilled Hubcap

hubcap wheel cover flapdoodle Chevel12

Lo class faded foil emblem should be bright red. Hi  class emblem sails through the years.

hubcap wheel cover flapdoodle Chevel13

Success yuk yuk

hubcap wheel cover flapdoodle Chevel14
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Limey SE likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content