G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SBC intake gaskets

5 posters

Go down

SBC intake gaskets Empty SBC intake gaskets

Post by 76 Malibu Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:19 pm

One of my summer projects is to finally put together my Qjet and do my 4bbl swap. I just ordered a new Edlebrock 2101 intake and intake gaskets. I ordered the standard replacement  Fel-Pro MS 90314-2 gasket set.

After I got the new parts, I see many say that for aftermarket intakes the Fel-Pro 1256 is the better set to use.  I know there is also a 1204 set, but that has the exhaust crossover blocked and I'd like to use it still for the cooler weather in fall and spring.

The Fel-Pro MS 90314-2 is the standard replacement gaskets for all 55-86 SBC including the 80s version with Aluminum intakes. However the 1256 set is supposed composite and will seal better with aftermarket intakes. So will there be a problem using the Fel-Pro MS 90314-2 set? Or should I order that 1256?
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

SBC intake gaskets Empty Re: SBC intake gaskets

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:02 pm

I would recommend using Edelbrock gaskets for your Edlebrock intake.

SBC intake gaskets Edelbr10
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:19 am

I think as long as you go with a name brand, you will be fine. I like Fel-Pro and its use the standard replacement. Only thing I like to do, after all the mating surfaces are super clean and wiped off with brake cleaner or lacquer thinner, is to run THIN SMALL bead of Permatex Ultra Black around all the ports including the water jackets. And dont use the rubber or cork end gaskets. Run a nice thick bead of the Ultra Black or Right Stuff. Make sure it runs up onto the gasket on each side just a bit. Let it set up a bit according the to label. Then install the manifold. Remember to torque in an X pattern. When the end gaskets dry up nice, you can trim it easily with a razor, it will squeeze out for a good seal. Good luck with it.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

fasrnur likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:09 am

There is nothing wrong with the gaskets you have. Granted the printoseal rubber ring gasket is a little better but the ones you have are stock replacement and basically the Performer is a stock replacement aluminum intake.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Iggy Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:43 am

I have used those gaskets on both stock cast iron and Edelbrock Performer intakes - no issues. A little tip I learned a long time ago, use short header bolts on the bolts either side of the exhaust crossover - the smaller head is much easier to get a wrench on. Have to make sure the bolt are not too long or they will hit a pushrod.
Iggy
Iggy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:00 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I know Edelbrock recommends their gasket, but I have always had great luck with Fel-Pro which is why I ordered it. Also my engine has had zero machine work, so it should fit well.

I found this info from Fel-pro on the gaskets:

The only difference between the Fel Pro MS90314-2 and the MS9617 is the MS90314-2 comes with an extra set of front and rear end gaskets and the restrictors inserts for the exhaust crossover. The 2 side gaskets are the same. The 1256 gasket is made out of a high density paper material and has the Fel pro Printoseal that would go against the intake manifold.

And thanks for the other tips. I have always used RTV on the China walls and a little bit of RTV around the coolant ports. Most of my past intake jobs were on stock engines, which is why I just ordered the regular gasket set.

I plan on painting painting intake Chevy engine orange and got some new valve covers to freshen up the engine too.

76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down