G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I need some help again.

2 posters

Go down

I need some help again. Empty I need some help again.

Post by Hs1973 Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:55 am

Hi guys.
I took wanda out today and had some issues. It has had the same issue the last couple of times i drove it. If i drive casual and normal it runs fine. But if i get on it Real quick and let of it wants to backfire and die. Also some jerk Got in front of me so i had to step on the brakes. Same thing, it almost died before returning to normal idle. If i drive normal, idle is fine when at a stoplight. Its only if i get roudy and tap the gas Real quick or hammer it wide open, it seems it wants to die. and sometimes does with a puf. I can start it right back up. And she will run normal. Until next time i go from idle to wide open. Seems much worse if its cold. Also when i touch the brakes it will drop slightly in idle but return to normal. Could i have a wacum leak in the booster?

I have a brand new 350 with 800-1000 miles on it. I Got a edelbrock performer intake and carb. I Got a brand new aftermarket hei in it. I checked my timing and it is 12 degrees before TDC now, it had moved slightly to 16. Apperantly i did not tighten the dissy Down hard enough.

Any thoughts are welcome since im not that strong in engine work. Regards Henrik.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

I need some help again. Empty Re: I need some help again.

Post by Hs1973 Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:41 pm

So i ran this issue by a friend, and he belives its caused by the fuel sloshing around in the carb uncovering the jets and that is why it bogs after i tap the trottle and let it go to fast. Ill check the float level and see if i can turn up the idle a little. here is no problem if i mash it and keep going, no bog or anything it will just keep gaining Rpms till i let go or it blows up. So i guess maybe he is right. What you Think?
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:01 pm

Float level and proper fuel pressure are two things that the Edelbrock is known to be finicky about. I would suggest checking the fuel pressure as an added measure.

My Edelbrock would flood on a hard left turn. Other than that it would run perfect. The gauge on my line would read 9psi (62 kpa) but the carb didn't seem to be affected by it. But after putting on a pressure regulator and adjusting it to about 5.5 psi (38 kpa) it seemed to reduce the stalling behavior. The 9 psi was coming from a stock replacement mechanical pump.

While I didn't have any major issues, these carburetors (like most) are designed to operate with 6 psi or less fuel pressure. Some carbs are more finicky than others, but a lot of people overlook the fuel pressure issue when tuning carbs and are having trouble getting it dialed in.

bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:09 am

Thank you for your advise. I already knew about the fuelpressure problems with edelbrocks. I will tjek both things out this weekend. It runs just fine when i just drive it around. Its only if i get a little roudy and peel off or jap the trottle it wants to die. So as my intelligent wife says, dont get roudy then. But she dosent understand that its part of the whole fun? Why Else have a Big noisy V8 if not to get roudy and do burnouts.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum