G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vendors for vinyl tops?

5 posters

Go down

Vendors for vinyl tops? Empty Vendors for vinyl tops?

Post by stich626 Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:55 am

Are there any?
Not sure If I'll go naked or not yet.

stich626
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Vendors for vinyl tops? Empty Re: Vendors for vinyl tops?

Post by thatfnthing Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:55 am

I think OPGI sells them. I ditched mine just 'cuz I wanted the smooth look (though it was a PITA tracking down the plain trim), though having seen what a lot of people suffered with moisture buildup under theirs, I'm glad I went the way I did.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:52 am

I agree with Thatfnthing. Every vinyl top car I've owned has had rust issues under the vinyl. My 75 Laguna is no exception. I'll be removing it and either painting it the correct color or spraying it with Plasti-Dip that color to compliment the stripes. Either way should eliminate the potential for rust in the future.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by stich626 Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:08 am

g3chevy wrote:I agree with Thatfnthing. Every vinyl top car I've owned has had rust issues under the vinyl. My 75 Laguna is no exception. I'll be removing it and either painting it the correct color or spraying it with Plasti-Dip that color to compliment the stripes. Either way should eliminate the potential for rust in the future.
I may do this also, but I'll have to find out if the windshield and back window trim is different and what to do with the side windows,

stich626
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:34 am

Its definitely a preference. My car had no vinyl roof when I picked it up at the junkyard in New Mexico. But per the build sheet that I found in the car during complete disassembly , it was produced with one. It must have been relieved early in its life of the vinyl roof as the dog legs around the back window and areas at the bottom of the opera windows were solid. I decided to re-install vinyl and prepped the surface as needed and then applied POR-15 through a spray gun.

That was in 2001 , 2 years ago I removed the vinyl top and reinstalled a new one. All areas still solid....but the car has never set outside since 1998.

You can see some of that activity in my thread:
https://www.g3gm.com/t8709-update-1973-monte-carlo-body-off-frame-resto
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:44 am

impalamonte wrote:It must have been relieved early in its life of the vinyl roof as the dog legs around the back window and areas at the bottom of the opera windows were solid.

I think sometimes they were simply applied better (or held up better) than others. Mine was the original and I didn't remove it until somewhere around 1990. The sheet metal underneath was perfect. So it kind of shocked me to find out how many people had rust under theirs -- I had thought mine was the rule, not the exception.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:14 am

Landau top seems to make rust issues worse. I think from water constantly up against the trim driving down the road and all the moldings holding moisture as well. I remember a guy telling me he always put vaseline around the moldings and packed it in there then wiped off excess and it kept everything good. Search Key auto tops for a new top.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down