G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

chevy 350 in 73 lemans help

5 posters

Go down

chevy 350 in 73 lemans help Empty chevy 350 in 73 lemans help

Post by dirty drew Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:00 pm

I have a '73 lemans with a 350 chevy motor out of a '87 camaro. I'm having trouble finding headers that fit this set up. I've tried mid length and long tube headers for a '73 chevelle and neither fit. does any one have any experience with this situation? Any help, suggestions, part numbers would be greatly appreciated. I just joined the site today. This seems like an excellent site. Thank you.

dirty drew
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

chevy 350 in 73 lemans help Empty Re: chevy 350 in 73 lemans help

Post by bracketchev1221 Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:54 am

First thing I would check is if the mounts are correct and in the right place. Being that engine was not original to that car, and it is basically a Chevelle the headers should fit easily in that chassis.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Iggy Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:18 am

Double on the mounts - the frames are the same, there are several different holes in the engine cross member for the different mounts used by Chevy or BOP. The Chevy clamshell setup must be bolted in the right holes or other things will not fit.
Iggy
Iggy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:11 am

Heres pics of the motor mounts in my chevelle. Notice they hang off the frame a bit. Just FYI.

chevy 350 in 73 lemans help Motor_14
chevy 350 in 73 lemans help Motor_15
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by dirty drew Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:56 am

Thank you for the reply. Every thing with the drive train is straight, the mounts are bolted in like in the picture. The first set of headers were close but not happening, they were mid length and supposed to fit a '73 chevelle. Then I tried a set of long tubes for who knows what. Now it's time to order or find some manifolds. What do you guys run? Do you have any part numbers I can look at? I get skeptical about what comes up on jegs and summit. Also curious on how you did your exhaust. Any recommendations?

dirty drew
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:54 am

So were the long tube headers even the right ones for the car? In the first post you said they were, then you say you don't know what they were for.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Iggy Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:56 am

I have always used Hooker or Hedman, no issues with either. On my square body trucks over the years I ran Hooker Competition headers with their dual exhaust kit - they fit well and had no issues with the installation. I also like the Hedman Elite series - very heavy duty header.
Iggy
Iggy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:17 am

You need sbc headers that fit 64-77 years for a camaro, chevelle or nova. MAKE SURE they are not for a pickup, blazer or suburban. They are different.

All the manufacturers headers look almost identical to each other when they are the normal 1 5/8" tube. You should be able to find a used pair relatively easy and cheap.

Take a look on summit racing for some pics so you can identify between car and truck sbc header design.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:02 am

I used these both on my 305 and 350 cars I had on my Malibu's

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/big-11100flt/overview/year/1977/make/chevrolet/model/malibu

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by dirty drew Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:32 pm

Alright! Limey se. Give this man a cigar. Thank you. That's what I'm after. Part numbers or a link. Thank you.

dirty drew
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:28 pm

dirty drew wrote:Alright! Limey se. Give this man a cigar. Thank you. That's what I'm after. Part numbers or a link. Thank you.

You are so in Luck They have a scratch and dent sale on HolleyPerformance on Ebay for $49.99 free ship SO if your ok with a scratch and dent Item (have been returned for one reason or another) heres the Link

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flowtech-Headers-11100FLT-Camaro-Chevelle-Nova-Monte-Carlo/283342487885

This Second Link is for Brand new in Box from Summit Racing dot com

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/big-11100flt/overview/

MYSELF I would get the scratch and dent ones and save $110 your not gonna see them once installed anyways (from the Holley listing)

Scratch & Dent items are NOT old worn-out items that are being resold. They are items that were returned under warranty or are products that are obsolete in our catalogs and can’t be sold thru our normal channels. Most are returned because of slight damages during shipping, casting blemishes, missing parts, etc. When these items are returned, we inspect each item to ensure there aren’t any defects that would deem them unusable.
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by dirty drew Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:02 am

Thank you again limey. I was wanting to get shorty, but how can you resist at$50 bucks? Pulled the trigger on them last night. Thank you all for the help. When I have the beast running and painted I'll have to post some photos if I can figure it out. What a great group of people.

dirty drew
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:20 pm

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management