G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rust paint

5 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

Rust paint  Empty Rust paint

Post by special4 Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:28 pm

Hi
I want to know if someone use por15, fluid film, durabak, spraymax, upo, fertan-usa, cosmoline direct rp 342? What´s the best?
thanks

special4
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Rust paint  Empty Re: Rust paint

Post by thatfnthing Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:02 pm

I can only speak to POR15 -- it works as advertised, but there are a number of steps to it, and you MUST follow them to the letter, especially the part about making sure the rust is extra squeaky clean to avoid contamination.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:20 pm

thatfnthing wrote:I can only speak to POR15 -- it works as advertised, but there are a number of steps to it, and you MUST follow them to the letter, especially the part about making sure the rust is extra squeaky clean to avoid contamination.

I agree.  Por15 is good but you MUST follow all the steps exactly.  Otherwise it will fail. Havent been a fan of it for years. Althought their gas tank sealer is excellent. Used it a bunch of times with great results. I now use RedKote on all metal gas tanks.

I have fluid film on the bottom of my truck.  Pretty good stuff.  I reapply once a year usually before the winder.  I also open up and rubber plugs on my rockers and shoot it in there.  Been working good for me.  Its kind of like oily when it goes on.  Stuff looks like waxy or like a thicker gelatin fat when you boil a chicken.  But with their gun, it shoots well and covers very well.  But it doesnt dry.

My buddy likes Cosmolene (spelling?).  I just bought 3 cans of it.  I intend to shoot all the brakes lines and rear of the car on my daughters impala.  It dries hard and doesnt come off.  I'm liking that.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:29 pm

Like Joe, I'm not a big fan of POR 15. It works good when you follow the directions to a tee but it needs flawless prep work and the clean up is not easy either. I switched to Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator about 15 years ago and have had excellent results. Very little prep, easy to apply and it is not UV sensitive like POR 15 so you don't need to topcoat it. I've done frames, suspension parts, seat bases etc and it holds up great. The frame I painted 10 years ago is still rust free and looks almost new. Here's a pic of a frame I did last winter with Rust Encapsulator and them topcoated it with Chassis Black also from Eastwood. Leaves a very durable finish.

Rust paint  20180210
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:20 pm

Good point from G3. Por15 is not UV resistant. It needs to be topcoated. I havent used any coatings on rust in a very long time. I've been either glass blasting in my cabinet or having a buddy dustless blast everything. And after any blasting, EPOXY !!! I did use some Eastwood Rust Encapsulator INSIDE my chassis when it came back from the blaster. I stuck the long hose in all the openings, shot everything, then epoxyied everything else. I'm a huge fan of SPI epoxy and universal clear. But I have used Summit Racing Chassis Shield which is also a 2k epoxy and that stuff is excellent as well.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:18 am

I've been spraying fluid film under my Subaru work car for a few years now. 200,000 miles drive that car through everything no rust underneath.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down