G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

need some help

+2
fasrnur
ant7377
6 posters

Go down

need some help Empty need some help

Post by alive 75 Tue May 07, 2019 10:53 am

so I'm having a few issues with my 75 monte carlo stock 350, 4 bbl carb.
before I replace the mufflers that exploded last fall I still am not really sure what caused that to happen, I replaced the cap, rotor, plug wires and spark plugs, during the tune up I noticed that one of the tiny springs that hold on the timing advance weights was missing, the car was missing when I put a heavy load on it, every thing seemed to be fine untill I took it out for a ride last weekend and went to do a burn out and it just died out and would not start back up, it was like either it was flooded out or I had no spark at the time, after we got the car back home I left it sit over night and in the morning it fired right up and drove fine, I know my carb is running rich right now because you can not stand next to it without your eyes burning, I am thinking about buying a whole new distributor, although I have a new coil and modulator along with a cap and rotor, i just dont want to blow up brand new mufflers again, I want to cover my bases, the carb is a jegs re -manufacturer Q-jet that barley has 1500 miles on it,
I have a new 3:73 posi rear end gear, and the motor is revving extra high than before, I am in the process of having a shop install a 700r4 trans so the car will be a better driver, is it possible that the distributor can't keep up with gear in the rear end and i'm not getting the fuel burned fast enough, what do you guys suggest ?
thanks Danny
alive 75
alive 75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

need some help Empty Re: need some help

Post by ant7377 Tue May 07, 2019 4:19 pm

Sounds like your distributor may not be in there correctly. Have you had it out recently?
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Tue May 07, 2019 8:18 pm

First question is, did you take the distributor out of the car?
You say one of your advance springs was missing. Did you put one back on it?
Does it rev freely without any problems in park or neutral?
And does your car still have the cat on it?

By knowing these things, the folks here might be able to give you some suggestions.
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by S3SS Tue May 07, 2019 8:45 pm

I would look at your ignition module in the distributor. Many times they will heat up and fail. Once cooled they work fine again. Make sure you place gel under new module. Also check wires from reluctor wheel to module as they tend to rub and ground out.
S3SS
S3SS
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Tue May 07, 2019 8:56 pm

S3SS wrote:I would look at your ignition module in the distributor. Many times they will heat up and fail. Once cooled they work fine again. Make sure you place gel under new module. Also check wires from reluctor wheel to module as they tend to rub and ground out.

This.

The missing spring is probably an advantage for performance if the other is the original one.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Wed May 08, 2019 6:34 am

I would look at your timing. I am thinking the missing under load is detonation from the distributor advancing too much without the spring. As far as distributor goes, the HEI is fine for what you are doing. I ran a stock HEI in my 79 malibu with 3.73 gears and a 26" tall tire.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by alive 75 Fri May 10, 2019 11:57 am

ant7377 wrote:Sounds like your distributor may not be in there correctly. Have you had it out recently?

the distributor has never been out of the car, I put a re-curve kit in it with the lighter springs
alive 75
alive 75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by alive 75 Fri May 10, 2019 11:59 am

fasrnur wrote:First question is, did you take the distributor out of the car?
You say one of your advance springs was missing. Did you put one back on it?
Does it rev freely without any problems in park or neutral?
And does your car still have the cat on it?

By knowing these things, the folks here might be able to give you some suggestions.

i went back to the original weights and springs, it has shorty headers with true dual exhaust no cats

car revs up pretty good
alive 75
alive 75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by alive 75 Fri May 10, 2019 12:00 pm

bracketchev1221 wrote:I would look at your timing.  I am thinking the missing under load is detonation from the distributor advancing too much without the spring.  As far as distributor goes, the HEI is fine for what you are doing.  I ran a stock HEI in my 79 malibu with 3.73 gears and a 26" tall tire.  

thanks for the info, not going to change the distributor if it will work with the gears
alive 75
alive 75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum