G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Power Steering Pump Pulley Half Moon

+2
fasrnur
bigredlaguna
6 posters

Go down

Power Steering Pump Pulley Half Moon Empty Power Steering Pump Pulley Half Moon

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:37 pm

Hey. This might be the wrong place for this but I guess it will work. I just got my power steering pump. It is the one with the bolt on pulley. I am having no luck getting the half moon piece into the shaft. I put it in the freezer overnight but it still did not go in. I don't want to put Channel Locks on it and mark up my shaft. Any tricks for an old dog? Thanks.
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 19

Back to top Go down

Power Steering Pump Pulley Half Moon Empty Re: Power Steering Pump Pulley Half Moon

Post by bigredlaguna Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:01 am

You might try again with the cold key, but heat the shaft with a map gas torch.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Power Steering Pump Pulley Half Moon Empty Re: Power Steering Pump Pulley Half Moon

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:02 am

Definitely put the key in the fridge over night. But I would be careful heating up the shaft. You might melt the shaft seal if you get it too hot.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:12 am

If worse comes to worse, you could always take a file to the side of the key and lightly file one side down enough to still get a tight fit on the key?
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:37 pm

Cool. I will try that. Thanks.
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:45 pm

See if there is a threaded hole in the end of the shaft. You can rent a PS pulley install tool at any parts store if it does. The tool will draw the pulley on as you thread it in the end of the shaft. Not all of them had it.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:42 pm

Kevin, the power steering pump I pulled off my 454 looks like this. It does not have a provision for a key.

Power Steering Pump Pulley Half Moon 20190410
Power Steering Pump Pulley Half Moon 20190411
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:15 am

Hey. Mine looks like that but came with the slot and key. Unfortunately I have bigger fish to fry right now. I just smoked the transmission on my H2 yesterday on the way home from work. It’s at the shop and my SS is out of inspection. I am still having some clearance issues getting my wheels to fit so I had to steal my wife’s truck. Putting her in a rental. She is not real happy about that.
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:07 am

When it rains it pours!
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:55 pm

73ss wrote:See if there is a threaded hole in the end of the shaft. You can rent a PS pulley install tool at any parts store if it does. The tool will draw the pulley on as you thread it in the end of the shaft. Not all of them had it.
A-body cars were equipped with two different types of power steering pumps. Up through 1974, they had the keyed shaft bolt-on pully. Starting in 1975, they had the press-fit pulley with no bolt. The pulley's are not interchangeable. What 73ss is describing is what was used on the 1975 and later cars. On the 1974 and earlier cars, the pulley to pump shaft fit is pretty close so a puller will need to be used. Take note that not all pullers are created equally. Some measurements of note: the flange that the puller attaches to is 1-1/8" in diameter and the groove behind the flange is 15/16" in diameter.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

76Chevelle2Tone likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:55 am

By the way, Snap-On tool # CJ117 is a perfect fit for the 1974 and earlier pulley.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down