G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taking Apart Standard Chrome Mirrors? Chevelle/El Camino

+5
riddick75
Hawk03
77camino
fasrnur
relic7680
9 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Taking Apart Standard Chrome Mirrors? Chevelle/El Camino - Page 2 Empty Re: Taking Apart Standard Chrome Mirrors? Chevelle/El Camino

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:32 pm

Well I'm at a loss. The remote mirror I had on my 76 SS El Camino had a large hole (approx 1/2") in the base which was almost the same size as the hole in the door and the reinforcement bracket that goes inside the door. Then I was able to fish the control knob through. It could be the previous owner modified it to take it apart since it had a repaint before I purchased it back in the 90's. I took it apart so the car could be painted in 2008. All 3 of the remote passenger side mirrors in my stash have the small hole you described. So you would have to disassemble the control knob to completely break it down. Or you could modify the size of the hole the control wires go through in the mirror base and housing but that might be more work. Here's some more pics.

Taking Apart Standard Chrome Mirrors? Chevelle/El Camino - Page 2 20190314
Taking Apart Standard Chrome Mirrors? Chevelle/El Camino - Page 2 20190315
Taking Apart Standard Chrome Mirrors? Chevelle/El Camino - Page 2 20190313
Taking Apart Standard Chrome Mirrors? Chevelle/El Camino - Page 2 20190316
Taking Apart Standard Chrome Mirrors? Chevelle/El Camino - Page 2 Remote10
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Taking Apart Standard Chrome Mirrors? Chevelle/El Camino - Page 2 Empty Re: Taking Apart Standard Chrome Mirrors? Chevelle/El Camino

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:01 pm

Yeah...who knows?  GM used sport mirrors on virtually all their makes/models back then and maybe some came with the larger hole.  BTW...does it look like there is any way the three cables can be detached from behind the mirror glass?  Because, it's a pain to get them off the control knob on the LH remote.

Just to clarify for those following this thread and who have never seen one, the RH remote control knob is the straight style as shown.  The LH control knob is, of course, the one I show disassembled.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:32 pm

Looking at the base the mirror itself attaches to, I don't see anyway to disconnect the control cables. The ends I think are crimped on the cables when they are assembled at the factory. So the only way I could see to remove them is to cut the crimped ends off and re-crimp new ones. Anyway you attack it would be difficult. I think I'll try opening the hole with a dremel tool and see if I can duplicate the way the other one was set up when I sent it to the paint shop.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by riddick75 Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:26 am

has any one else had a remote mirror that they have pulled apart and found this metal pieceTaking Apart Standard Chrome Mirrors? Chevelle/El Camino - Page 2 Imgp4916
its supposed to have 3 more barels on it so it rocks in the mounting cradle
Taking Apart Standard Chrome Mirrors? Chevelle/El Camino - Page 2 Imgp5010
Taking Apart Standard Chrome Mirrors? Chevelle/El Camino - Page 2 Imgp4917

or if it can't be found has anyone created a fix so the mirror doesn't wiggle as you drive down the road but have the remote part still work
riddick75
riddick75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:19 am

riddick75 wrote:...has anyone created a fix so the mirror doesn't wiggle as you drive down the road but have the remote part still work

Yes:

https://www.g3gm.com/t11163-making-g3-sport-mirrors-power-adjustable
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:17 am

Great pictures g3chevy. Your blue mirror pictorial demonstrates my exact quandary. How did GM put these things together!!

To me , its looks as though they put the guts of the mirror through the front of the sport mirror . Most likely with the glass attached . Then that assembly with the three steel cables thru the back / bottom of the mirror. Through the base. Then they crimp the "controller" to the end of the complete assembly. I'm afraid taking that "controller" end apart would be the death of the functionally.
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:41 am

Quote: "I'm afraid taking that "controller" end apart would be the death of the functionally".

As described above, on the LH remote it can be done...as I proved yesterday.  I haven't tried disassembling a RH control knob only because these mirrors are so hard to find and I don't want to risk ruining one of mine.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:02 am

riddick75 wrote:has any one else had a remote mirror that they have pulled apart and found this metal pieceTaking Apart Standard Chrome Mirrors? Chevelle/El Camino - Page 2 Imgp4916
its supposed to have 3 more barels on it so it rocks in the mounting cradle
Taking Apart Standard Chrome Mirrors? Chevelle/El Camino - Page 2 Imgp5010
Taking Apart Standard Chrome Mirrors? Chevelle/El Camino - Page 2 Imgp4917

or if it can't be found has anyone created a fix so the mirror doesn't wiggle as you drive down the road but have the remote part still work

Looks like the back of your mirror base is trash. I see some broken plastic in your pic as well as the broken die-cast pivot point that goes behind the base. You might be able to rig something up to get it to function but at that point I'd go with either a manual mirror or convert it to power and be done with it. These cable controlled mirrors have always been temperamental even when new.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:30 pm

I believe I could disassemble.....but I do not know that I could duplicate these crimps. And possible break one of these "fingers" in the process of releasing the cable. It just looks like pot metal to me.

Taking Apart Standard Chrome Mirrors? Chevelle/El Camino - Page 2 20190311
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:06 pm

[quote="impalamonte"]I believe I could disassemble.....but I do not know that I could duplicate these crimps. And possible break one of these "fingers" in the process of releasing the cable. It just looks like pot metal to me.  

I agree. I would be concerned about bending this metal after 40+ years and not damaging it.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2