G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Artist Renditions

+12
Limey SE
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
bigredlaguna
dragons_lair59
badtemper44
Biomedtech
1973chevelle
anthonyalessi74
knightfan26917
Hydro King
JB2wheeler
coreys73chevelle
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Artist Renditions - Page 2 Empty Re: Artist Renditions

Post by The Dude Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:55 am

Black & white, but at least it's a different G3:

Artist Renditions - Page 2 123_hard

Anyone else finding BOP stuff?
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:47 pm

Kojak will love that rendering of the Buick !!!!

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:10 pm

Yeah I figured he would.

I'm digging the 74 Chevelle with the 75/76 Laguna front end. Check out the bumper treatment & realistically unnecessary fender flares. I guess it would be fine if you planned to run 12" wide wheels or something. My favorite is still the Laguna on page one. Stance, wheel size, color, stripes, it's pretty close to perfect other than wheel style & the side window louvers.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by hotrodredneck Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:23 pm

im running 18x12" wheels in the rear with no fender flare
hotrodredneck
hotrodredneck
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:24 am

How much backspacing & what's the tire size? That's some great news to hear! I knew 10" wheels fit fine, just never heard about 12".
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:48 am

hotrodredneck wrote:im running 18x12" wheels in the rear with no fender flare

what size tire?

Photobucket

was thinking about running these in 15x8 front and either 15x10 or 15x12 in the rear
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:36 am

sould be able to run at least a 295 50 cause the 74 im working on getting has N50 and they are = to 325
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:37 pm

TW, proper backspacing plays a big role in tire fitment. Check out some of the G3 tech sections, there should be several threads on tire fitment. 12" wide rims are definitely new news to me though. I think that's the largest that I've heard of so far. 8" up front is cake. 4-4.5" backspacing & you are good to go.

Word of advice on the Cragar SS wheels, keep them cleaned because the chrome comes off fast. I don't know if it's bad plating or what it is, but every used set that I have run across seems to have at least some degree of chrome flake. I have a set right now that is REALLY bad.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:44 pm

I am gonna take a guess and 7" maybe 7.5" BS

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:50 pm

scratch Wouldn't that be pushing into the frame rails? I tried 6" of backspacing on a 72 for S&G & it was a no go. I'm assuming 73-77 cars aren't THAT much different when it comes to axle width:frame width ratio. I might be wrong though.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:01 pm

Rago wrote:TW, proper backspacing plays a big role in tire fitment. Check out some of the G3 tech sections, there should be several threads on tire fitment. 12" wide rims are definitely new news to me though. I think that's the largest that I've heard of so far. 8" up front is cake. 4-4.5" backspacing & you are good to go.

Word of advice on the Cragar SS wheels, keep them cleaned because the chrome comes off fast. I don't know if it's bad plating or what it is, but every used set that I have run across seems to have at least some degree of chrome flake. I have a set right now that is REALLY bad.

thanks for the heads up on the rims, i really like that style but on a daily i dont know if i want to spend that much time on the chrome, was also considering yearones z28 ralley reproductions in gunmetal...their 17x8's though, was kinda hoping to stay with 15's
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:31 pm

Copied from the article on Tony's car

Chromed Bon Speed rollers in 17x8 up front run inside Nitto 245/45R17 tires while in the rear massive 235/30R17 Nitto drag radials are wrapped around 17x12 hoops.

Something doesn't look right. 235 section width is way too small to fit a 12" rim. I'm betting it's really 335 section width. The article also states he has 17x12, while he posted on here 18x12.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:19 am

I seem to remember reading he had 335's or 345's out back. Look at the photos again though, they don't tuck at all. I remember seeing a photo of the rear end and the fender is on top of the tires when he lets the bags all the way down.

Looked it up....
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/0605phr_1973_chevy_chevelle/photo_13.html

Artist Renditions - Page 2 0605ph10

Tuck or not, that's a big tire. However, for those who want to tuck without body modificatoins, shouldn't go by his numbers.

74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:47 am

and yes I checked again would have to been a custom grind like a 5.5 to a 5.75 BS

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:47 pm

hmm..ill probably just stick to x8's then maybe x10s in the rear
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by hotrodredneck Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:54 pm

i will have to ck my records on the backspacing. i know i could have/should have gone with another1/4" of backspacing. custom wheels suck.... you order them there yours, so we measured several times and pulled the trigger. i wished i had another 1/8-1/4" but we were afraid it wouldn't clear the frame. turned out the frame wasn't a problem at all. it was the 3 1/2" exhaust. i'm thinking it was like around 5" but i will have to ck. i'm running a 335/30/18. the magazine article was a misprint. i did have to roll the fender lip to fit clean when i dump the bags. when it is all the way down on the bumpstops the tire sidewall is flush within a 1/16-1/8" with the fender. i have seen they make a cool backspacing/tire size tool ( summit or jegs) for around $80. i wish i had one of these before i ordered my wheels
hotrodredneck
hotrodredneck
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by hotrodredneck Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:11 pm

74Malibu383 wrote:I seem to remember reading he had 335's or 345's out back. Look at the photos again though, they don't tuck at all. I remember seeing a photo of the rear end and the fender is on top of the tires when he lets the bags all the way down.

Looked it up....
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/0605phr_1973_chevy_chevelle/photo_13.html

Tuck or not, that's a big tire. However, for those who want to tuck without body modificatoins, shouldn't go by his numbers.

when was was the last time you saw my car??? Rolling Eyes i don't think i would say they don't tuck at all. i made the bump stop very close for a reason. the fenders never touch the tire, with or without air in the bags. like i said in the above post, i wish i had done another 1/4" and it would have slid into the wheel well a little better. but to my knowledge nobody tried what ive done before me, so it was a trial and error type thing.
hotrodredneck
hotrodredneck
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:32 am

all I know thats a sexy arse rear end no matter how its shown MMMMM

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicruiser Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:28 am

hotrodredneck wrote:
74Malibu383 wrote:I seem to remember reading he had 335's or 345's out back. Look at the photos again though, they don't tuck at all. I remember seeing a photo of the rear end and the fender is on top of the tires when he lets the bags all the way down.

Looked it up....

when was was the last time you saw my car??? Rolling Eyes i don't think i would say they don't tuck at all. i made the bump stop very close for a reason. the fenders never touch the tire, with or without air in the bags. like i said in the above post, i wish i had done another 1/4" and it would have slid into the wheel well a little better. but to my knowledge nobody tried what ive done before me, so it was a trial and error type thing.
Do you think a good machine shop could use a mill or lathe to take off the 1/4" for you. As long as the center hub of your wheel is pretty thick it should work.
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:07 am

Those are some honkin' meats for sure. If 5" BS is all that you have then I'm really going to consider 12" wide rims when the time comes. 5.5" BS would completely tuck from the looks of this pic.

Artist Renditions - Page 2 0605phr_07_1973_chevy_chevelle_taillight_z
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:09 am

hotrodredneck wrote:

Looked it up....

Don't get me wrong here. Your car is beautiful. You did an amazing job. I was just pointing out that the tires don't fully tuck. If you didn't have a bump stop and body were to come down more, it would hit the tire. In fact, you pretty much said that in a previous statement about being flush with the fender. Maybe our definitions on "Tucking" are different, but I define Tucking a tire when it goes up past the fender all the way into the wheel well.

Getting the correct backspacing is a PITA though. I'm just glad I screwed up on a cheap set of custom steel wheels before going with the aluminum ones I have now.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by hotrodredneck Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:44 am

"Getting the correct backspacing is a PITA though. I'm just glad I screwed up on a cheap set of custom steel wheels before going with the aluminum ones I have now.."

i couldn't agree more. there was quite a few things i would do different (if i only knew then what i know now Very Happy ) the truth be told, iknew the wheels were one of those things that had to be right(kinda like the paint). i didn't even pick them,lol. i handed the wife a stack of wheel catalogs, magazines, and pics. i told her to look thru all of them and pick the wheeels. i couldn't do it. she took 3weeks or so and narrowed it down and we just pulled the trigger(nervous as hell). i hated them at first(talk about a sick feeling), with the standard spring suspension. then once the air ride got done it really came together and i really liked the look.
hotrodredneck
hotrodredneck
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by hotrodredneck Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:49 am

Rago wrote:Those are some honkin' meats for sure. If 5" BS is all that you have then I'm really going to consider 12" wide rims when the time comes. 5.5" BS would completely tuck from the looks of this pic.

Artist Renditions - Page 2 0605phr_07_1973_chevy_chevelle_taillight_z

i'm very sure it wouldnt take another 1/2" maybe a 1/4" definately a 1/8" i'm gonna be workin on the sleds in the garage today i will try and find the specs on those wheels.
hotrodredneck
hotrodredneck
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by hotrodredneck Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:37 pm

so i found the workorder, and the fronts are a 17x8 with a 4.75 bs the rears are 18x12 with 4.75 bs. i'm preety sure that a 5.0 bs would work, but dont take my word for it Very Happy 74 mali what is your rear measurements?
hotrodredneck
hotrodredneck
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:34 am

19x8 with a 5" and 20x10 with a 5.75"

Take 1/8" out for the Baer Disk brakes
74Malibu383
74Malibu383