G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transmission Crossmember

+3
Mcarlo77
Joe73
bracketchev1221
7 posters

Go down

Transmission Crossmember Empty Transmission Crossmember

Post by KC77Monte Thu May 31, 2018 1:29 pm

I bought a double hump trans mount a couple years ago for the Monte and never installed it. My goal for this year is to install it and get some duel exhaust this summer. Question is can the mount be installed with the engine and transmission still in the car or will the transmission need to be removed? Thanks
KC77Monte
KC77Monte
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Transmission Crossmember Empty Re: Transmission Crossmember

Post by Joe73 Thu May 31, 2018 1:48 pm

Easy job. Just use a jack and lift up the trans s a bit to take weight off your cross member. Switch the cross member. Bolt it back up. Should be easier if you take the 2 bolts out of the trans mount to the trans as well. But you don't have to.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu May 31, 2018 1:49 pm

Did you get a transmission crossmember from another Monte, El Camino or four-door car? The Monty crossmember is a different width than regular Chevelle Malibu
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Thu May 31, 2018 1:56 pm

You may have to do the exhaust and crossmember at the same time. Reason for this, is if your car has a catalytic converter, the single exhaust may not line up with the new humps in the crossmember. So you may not be able to swap it out ahead of time and do the exhaust later.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by KC77Monte Thu May 31, 2018 2:02 pm

Joe73 wrote:Did you get a transmission crossmember from another Monte, El Camino or four-door car? The Monty crossmember is a different width than regular Chevelle Malibu

Not sure what is out of. I bought it off Limey so it should fit. I'll throw a tape on both just to make sure. Thanks
KC77Monte
KC77Monte
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KC77Monte Thu May 31, 2018 2:03 pm

bracketchev1221 wrote:You may have to do the exhaust and crossmember at the same time.  Reason for this, is if your car has a catalytic converter, the single exhaust may not line up with the new humps in the crossmember.  So you may not be able to swap it out ahead of time and do the exhaust later.

Never thought of that. I'll check it out before making any moves. Thanks
KC77Monte
KC77Monte
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu May 31, 2018 2:41 pm

Monte, Chevelle, Cutlass even Century dual crossmembers will all interchange. They all measure about 52 1/2" O.A.L. It's the El Camino/Sprint that's the odd-ball (shorter).

I can tell you from experience that the stock single exhaust on your Monte will not line up with the humps in a dual crossmember.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu May 31, 2018 3:33 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:Monte, Chevelle, Cutlass even Century dual crossmembers will all interchange.  They all measure about 52 1/2" O.A.L.  It's the El Camino/Sprint that's the odd-ball (shorter).

I can tell you from experience that the stock single exhaust on your Monte will not line up with the humps in a dual crossmember.  

Thats interesting. Is it because of the boxed frame? I thought all the 116" wheel base cars had the boxed frame.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu May 31, 2018 4:20 pm

Yep.  
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu May 31, 2018 6:56 pm

KC77Monte wrote:

Not sure what is out of. I bought it off Limey so it should fit. I'll throw a tape on both just to make sure. Thanks

Take a pic of it for me I don't remember it KC77

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Thu May 31, 2018 10:24 pm

From the research I've done and all the El Caminos I've owned it appears the only g3's that had boxed frames were 73-75 El Caminos and Sprints. Even the big block station wagons had open frames like all the others. Here's a pic of the difference of the dual exhaust crossmembers. The one on the top is for most g3 A-bodys and the one on the bottom is for 73-75 El Caminos and Sprints only. Hope this helps.

Transmission Crossmember Photo011
Transmission Crossmember Photo010
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino Thu May 31, 2018 10:47 pm

I know that none of the 76-77’s came with dual exhaust, but do the same specs carry on. Is the El Camino still the only one with the boxed frame. Reason I ask is that I got a double hump cross member for my first 77 El Camino in the 80’s and it was to short. If the El Camino has the shorter version than how did mine not fit, providing the guy I got it from knew what he was talking about.
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Thu May 31, 2018 11:19 pm

You are correct. The 76's and 77's did not have factory dual exhaust. Also the frames were not boxed so they would require the longer crossmember. So I would bet you got a 73-74 crossmember which is shorter by about 6 inches. Interestingly, the 75's did not have factory dual exhaust either but did have the boxed frame. So they have a "1 year only" single exhaust crossmember while 73's and 74's had the dual exhaust crossmembers pictured at the bottom of my original post. Below is a link to a discussion about crossmembers last year that has a lot more detail.

https://www.g3gm.com/t10465p25-double-hump-cross-member?highlight=dual+exhaust+cross+member
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by KC77Monte Thu May 31, 2018 11:27 pm

Limey SE wrote:
KC77Monte wrote:

Take a pic of it for me I don't remember it KC77

Transmission Crossmember 20180510
KC77Monte
KC77Monte
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:47 pm

I removed that one from the 76 Lime Green Malibu I had to swap out for a DD

Anthony