G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Guy From Sask. Land of the Living Sky

5 posters

Go down

New Guy From Sask. Land of the Living Sky Empty New Guy From Sask. Land of the Living Sky

Post by hdshadpar Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:46 pm

Well, I have a 77 El Camino Conquista with a Ponderosa Package 1, so the internet says. It's my first GM product since my 74 Z28 and then I grew up, marriage/kids now grandkids. Traded my 92 F250 for it as the wife was not impressed with the truck ride for we used it for landscaping, building gardens hauling flowers etc..... even took the old girl to Chicago last spring. So, now she loves this ride and I am having fun with it, in fact I put my 57 TBird to the side and worked on the Camino installing a U-Haul trailer hitch, heavy duty springs, air lift kit, new 342 gears, new cross member for dual exhaust, new shocks all around, sound proofed the cab, new rims and rubber, undercoated and put LineX in the box bed, rubber mat for the bed and new Derale tran pan. I have the rear sway bar to put on and then the dual exhaust when the snow is gone. Next fall a new dash and front end. Paint is original, 77,000 miles never seen a Canadian winter and it won't as there is no rust what so ever, just a cracked dash from living in Texas. I found a parts car (76 el camino) not all will fit but looks like the trim is the same, glass is good, bumpers and grill are good. I am definitely glad I found this web site and glad to find out that there are lots of interchangeable parts with other models, something the parts books don't reference. Still can't believe it only has 180 hp, but that will change!

With that, looking forward to learning more on these obsolete years of production, so it seems. I will post some pics as soon as I figure out this forum. Tks

JP

hdshadpar
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

New Guy From Sask. Land of the Living Sky Empty Re: New Guy From Sask. Land of the Living Sky

Post by thatfnthing Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:22 pm

Welcome! Can't wait to see pics!
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

New Guy From Sask. Land of the Living Sky Empty Re: New Guy From Sask. Land of the Living Sky

Post by Joe73 Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:29 pm

Welcome. I'd love to see pics. I thought the conquista started in 78 with the G body.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by hdshadpar Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:22 pm

Well you know you could be right, what I got off the internet was any 2 tone was a Conquista and then these catalogue suppliers give this as an option for the year.  The Conquista sticker badge starts to be available in 78.  I never heard of the Ponderosa option either until researching info on the interior options.  I will have to look at some brochures and maybe indicate this.

hdshadpar
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:53 am

The conquista was definitely available in 77, but there was no reference to it on the car as in later years.
New Guy From Sask. Land of the Living Sky Img_2716

For the 76 parts car, the only real difference on the exterior is the grille, everything should interchange. I have researched a lot on 1977 El Camino's and have never heard of a Ponderosa edition. Was it a regional thing and what is different about it?

Welcome and can't wait to see the pictures.
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by hdshadpar Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:51 am

Trying to figure out how to get pics on here.  As for the Ponderosa packages I couldn't find the add I first seen but found one on Flickr indicating 3 packages:  YG6, YG7 and YG8.  It was the first I heard of it and it wasn't until recent (within the week).  As for the badge it was a sticker in 78.  If you go to Flickr you will find it, not the original one I seen but its out there apparently. It won't allow me to provide a link for 7 days.

hdshadpar
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:34 pm

Welcome to the board sir. I too can't wait to see shots of your Elky.
This might help you post pictures. Just scroll to the bottom of the page and follow the instructions. Pretty easy.

https://www.g3gm.com/t11472-adding-images-pictures-to-posts?highlight=posting+pictures
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by hdshadpar Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:53 pm

fasrnur wrote:Welcome to the board sir. I too can't wait to see shots of your Elky.
This might help you post pictures. Just scroll to the bottom of the page and follow the instructions. Pretty easy.

https://www.g3gm.com/t11472-adding-images-pictures-to-posts?highlight=posting+pictures

hdshadpar
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by hdshadpar Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:56 pm

New Guy From Sask. Land of the Living Sky Img_1112
New Guy From Sask. Land of the Living Sky Img_1112

Not sure if this going to work....

hdshadpar
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:24 pm

Nice looking El Camino. That is the color combo that my father originally wanted before he decided on blue. I remember going to every dealership in town looking for a brown/tan one. He was very particular and found something wrong with every one we found.
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:39 pm

Very nice looking El Camino sir.
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down