G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'76 Laguna S3 COWL Tag Info

+2
zot
Joe73
6 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

'76 Laguna S3 COWL Tag Info Empty '76 Laguna S3 COWL Tag Info

Post by BAS-Sr Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:59 pm

I recently picked up a nice solid project '76 Laguna S3, looking to see if anyone here can help with with some of the numbers on the COWL tag?

I am pretty familiar with all of what is on it but the numbers after the build date? I checked my books and resources available here, but nothing I saw helped?

After the 09C build date, the L19 is probably the lower black body strip, but any idea what the number(s) "23687" between the build date and the L19 are for? What is the "0508" at the end of that line for?

'76 Laguna S3 COWL Tag Info Cowl_t10
BAS-Sr
BAS-Sr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

'76 Laguna S3 COWL Tag Info Empty Re: '76 Laguna S3 COWL Tag Info

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:59 am

The 0508 is a continuance of the Vehicle Sequence Number (043070) shown above that on the tag...and, would be found in the upper right hand corner of your Build Sheet. What confuses me is that on my '75 Laguna, the six digit number (in my case 100494) is repeated just to the right of the date code; whereas on yours, there is a different number (23687). Other dissimilarity is that I have no idea what the 87 in front of the 0577 on my tag means as there is no reference to that on my Build Sheet. I do believe the L19 on your tag would reference the black body stripe. My Laguna was repainted by previous owner and I have no idea whether it came with the stripe originally (left 1/3 of my Build Sheet is missing, so don't know if it would have been referenced on that or not). Maybe this is the proof that mine didn't because it lacks this number?

'76 Laguna S3 COWL Tag Info Laguna11

On a side note, would it be too much to ask for the stripe dimensions (width and spacing) for future reference if I (or, anyone else) should decide to add them when my car is repainted? No rush...just saw a post regarding stripes on a '73 SS and thought it would be nice to have in the G3 archives for others to reference. I realize they aren't all there on your car, but anything would help to build the data file.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:26 pm

I've looked at these in depth.  I have a 1973 Fisher Body manual that I refer to.  Fisher made the bodies and trim tags for all of our cars.  Your 76 trim tag is formatted the same as my 73 tag.  So I would have to say that the information would be the same.  I posted a pic below right from the fisher manual decoding the tag.

After the build date are the numbers that coincide with info at the fisher body plant.  They are just for reference.  There is a designation for a "lower" body color but that does not refer to a stripe color.  From what I've found. Also, all the paint info would be before the PNT on the second line.

For reference, my 73 (baltimore car) does not have any numbers between the date code on the left and the four numbers on the right. Nothing in the middle like yours. But I have read that those middle numbers are a sequential number used by the plant.

The Fisher body manual pic below I believe is from a camaro since it has the A51 code for seating and our A bodies did not use that code.

'76 Laguna S3 COWL Tag Info Trim_t10
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by BAS-Sr Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:08 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:The 0508 is a continuance of the Vehicle Sequence Number (043070) shown above that on the tag...and, would be found in the upper right hand corner of your Build Sheet.  What confuses me is that on my '75 Laguna, the six digit number (in my case 100494) is repeated just to the right of the date code; whereas on yours, there is a different number (23687).  Other dissimilarity is that I have no idea what the 87 in front of the 0577 on my tag means as there is no reference to that on my Build Sheet.  I do believe the L19 on your tag would reference the black body stripe.  My Laguna was repainted by previous owner and I have no idea whether it came with the stripe originally (left 1/3 of my Build Sheet is missing, so don't know if it would have been referenced on that or not).  Maybe this is the proof that mine didn't because it lacks this number?

'76 Laguna S3 COWL Tag Info Laguna11

On a side note, would it be too much to ask for the stripe dimensions (width and spacing) for future reference if I (or, anyone else) should decide to add them when my car is repainted?  No rush...just saw a post regarding stripes on a '73 SS and thought it would be nice to have in the G3 archives for others to reference.  I realize they aren't all there on your car, but anything would help to build the data file.

From what I have heard about COWL tags is they follow guidelines to a degree, but each plant also adds some specifics about the car being built that are not standardized between plants, thus the general info about build date, interior/exterior colors, vinyl roof are the same, but what we see in differences between our COWL tags are because the cars are built in different locations (i.e. Baltimore versus Fremont).

Like I said, the L19 on that line is easy assumption for the body stripe.....now we just have to figure out the others! :-)

No problem about taking some measurements on the strip, won't be this week with the weather here in NJ! 

Here's the best pic I have now with the body stripes:

'76 Laguna S3 COWL Tag Info Dscn3318
BAS-Sr
BAS-Sr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:40 pm

Curious.  Where did you find info about the L19?   There is an L code already on the paint line. In 73 there is no designation for an ss stripe color on a cowl tag.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by zot Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:43 pm

Did you see at this thread? https://www.g3gm.com/t1571-73-77-chevelle-vin-body-tag-codes

The 40L 19T should denote Lime poly paint with a black vinyl top if I am reading it correctly. The AN7 is for swivel buckets. Mine has an A65 for the split bench seat with the armrest. Mine doesn't have anything between the date and sequence codes.
zot
zot
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by BAS-Sr Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:02 pm

Joe73 wrote:Curious.  Where did you find info about the L19?   There is an L code already on the paint line.  In 73 there  is no designation for an ss stripe color on a cowl tag.

I did not find it any where, was an assumption since that is part of the build that is not documented, obviously I have the Black (code 19) Body stripes and the L would stand for lower, or in this case body side.
BAS-Sr
BAS-Sr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:15 pm

But on the paint line of the tag it already has 40L denoting the body color. I'd have to question if the L19 is a stripe color.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BAS-Sr Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:25 pm

Joe73 wrote:But on the paint line of the tag it already has 40L denoting the body color.  I'd have to question if the L19 is a stripe color.

There is no real documentation that I have found about the line that starts with the date other than about the date code. All the rest is an assumption, unless someone has some documentation that I have not seen about that line? 

19 is for black and no where is the stripe denoted, so I assume the 19L is for the Black Body strip. Why would it not be?

Ahhh, a good friendly debate, LUV these! :-)
BAS-Sr
BAS-Sr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:02 pm

Just curious on my part since I've never seen an SS trim tag with its stripe noted. Just wondering if they did it in later years.

I think we need a couple other members with S3 cars to post up their last line to see what they have. That might help.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by S3SS Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:18 pm

Not all laguna's had the stripe. Some were ordered without...
S3SS
S3SS
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BAS-Sr Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:32 pm

Joe73 wrote:Just curious on my part since I've never seen an SS trim tag with its stripe noted.  Just wondering if they did it in later years.  

I think we need a couple other members with S3 cars to post up their last line to see what they have.  That might help.  

I agree, anyone else post pic's of their S3 COWL tags, form different years and build sites would be great so we can do some comparison!
BAS-Sr
BAS-Sr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BAS-Sr Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:34 pm

S3SS wrote:Not all laguna's had the stripe. Some were ordered without...

So was the stripe part of the S3 package where you had to delete it or was it an option you added?

I have the brochure from GM Heritage, just have to look through it to see what it says about '76.
BAS-Sr
BAS-Sr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by zot Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:46 pm

" alt="" />

Here are mine. All are from the Arlington, Tx plant.

Last edited by zot on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
zot
zot
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:08 pm

Here are mine. All are from the Arkington, Tx plant.[/quote]

Guess the question here is whether your '75 or '76 had the factory stripes since there's nothing on the cowl tags to identify such.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by zot Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:48 pm

Oops...Arlington Tx. Yes, both had white stripes from the factory.
zot
zot
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:44 pm

Well...that pretty much nullifies the theory that the stripes would have been designated on the cowl tags on all Lagunas. Anyone know if they were assigned a RPO number on the Build Sheet? As I mentioned, the left 1/3 of my Build Sheet is missing...so, I can't confirm from mine.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BAS-Sr Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:03 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:Well...that pretty much nullifies the theory that the stripes would have been designated on the cowl tags on all Lagunas.  Anyone know if they were assigned a RPO number on the Build Sheet?  As I mentioned, the left 1/3 of my Build Sheet is missing...so, I can't confirm from mine.

Still looking for an RPO for the stripe(s), buthere is something interesting that I found in the GM Brochure, says about the strip "if desired"? Also note that the "COLOR" code for the black side stripe associated with the body color code 40 (Poly Lime) is 19A....

'76 Laguna S3 COWL Tag Info Colors10
BAS-Sr
BAS-Sr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by S3SS Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:25 pm

Original built sheet for my 76 laguna states with all other options 11A -White - stripe also original window sticker states 11A white sport striping $81.00
S3SS
S3SS
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:02 pm

Great information! I assume your cowl tag doesn't make reference to it since you didn't mention it?
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by S3SS Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:01 pm

No nothing on tag except the exterior colour. The stripe was a ordered option only. Standard laguna did not have stripe..Only way to know for certain is documentation or original paint....
S3SS
S3SS
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1975 S3 Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:38 am

Original bill of sale for my S3 shows
Base Vehicle   $4858.00
Accent Stripes  $91.65

1975 CDN $
1975 S3
1975 S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by BAS-Sr Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:56 am

Mcarlo77 wrote:Well...that pretty much nullifies the theory that the stripes would have been designated on the cowl tags on all Lagunas.  Anyone know if they were assigned a RPO number on the Build Sheet?  As I mentioned, the left 1/3 of my Build Sheet is missing...so, I can't confirm from mine.

OK, went through the '76 brochure again, best I could find for the RPO's for the stripes are here, looks like there were only 4 different colors:

White - 11A
Black - 19A
Firethorn - 36A
Gold - 54A

'76 Laguna S3 COWL Tag Info 1976_c10
BAS-Sr
BAS-Sr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down