G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

primer finish

+4
fasrnur
Joe73
bigredlaguna
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
8 posters

Go down

primer finish Empty primer finish

Post by ziyatansu Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:58 pm

hey! for my 74 malibu restoration, what are some thoughts on leaving the primer as a finish? are there any limitations? The 73' chevelle in the movie DRIVE has it and I think it looks really cool! I think ryan gosling made the car himself for his role.  

http://pics.imcdb.org/0is191/drive002807c40.857.jpg
ziyatansu
ziyatansu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

primer finish Empty Re: primer finish

Post by bigredlaguna Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:29 pm

It won't last as long as paint. Unless you want the "in work" look with splotchy mismatched gray. If you want that look to last with an even finish, then paint it a satin or flat gray. I think it's a nice twist to the satin look, black has been done by so many people it is almost boring.

bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:36 am

Primer is pourus. It does not seal the metal. Meaning that moisture goes through primer and causes rust underneath. Even some morning dew on a primered car allows moisture through to the metal so rust will start from the inside out. 2 part Epoxy primer will seal the metal so you dont have that issue. But never prime and leave it. If I intend to leave prime on a car for extended periods of time I allow the primer to flash and shoot a quick coat of base color over it to seal it. Then later on a quick sand and you can work on it again. Never leave prime on a car that will be outside or get wet. It will rust underneath.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:22 pm

Go with Joe on this. Where I live even Epoxy primer has issues pretty quick due to our humidity. Prime it and use a matte color of your choice to match the look you are going for. Menacing look.
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:58 pm

Joe, when I was in the Navy we used to just use rattle can primer to finish corrosion jobs on the airplanes I worked on. Mainly because it was a shortcut, and the actual paint was the exact same color.

Mostly it depended on the commanding officer of the squadron. Some wanted the planes to have an even finish and look nice, and others wanted it to look like we were always actively fighting corrosion. As for myself, I liked working on the "color" birds. Everyone wanted those to look sharp.

But your comment made me remember that we always seemed to work on the gray birds a lot more for corrosion peeking through various places- no doubt because of our practice of using primer as a finish coat.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:53 am

Nowadays, if you want the primer look, I'd get the car wrapped. Not real expensive, gives the look you want and you can remove it when your tired of it.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:26 pm

I priced a complete wrap about a year ago here Joe, and I* couldn't believe my ears when the shop told me it usually runs $4000.
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Dead Man Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:01 pm

guess you might could plasti dip it.
Dead Man
Dead Man
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:52 pm

Just got a "tool" catalog from Summit, and I see that they have the flat, or semi-flat (?) finish paints in that catalog... not my style, but just sayin' Very Happy

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Damon23 Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:38 pm

fasrnur wrote:I priced a complete wrap about a year ago here Joe, and I* couldn't believe my ears when the shop told me it usually runs $4000.

We got the same quote for a shop to do my sons 76 Celica race car.

Damon23
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by ziyatansu Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:05 pm

wrap might be a good choices If I can find a relatively ok price. But the paint of our 74 malibu has corrosions and imperfections on it.. might get in the way of the wrap. guess we'll have to renew the paint first. which eliminates the need for a wrap - that is we decide to paint the car gray.
ziyatansu
ziyatansu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down